• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

With £30mil in the bank, who could replace Vieira?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arjan

Gattuso, but Milan will never sell him. What a player.

Marc van Bommel? Cheap 3 million pounds, reliable, experienced.
But he does lack that winners spirit then Paddy has. But Marc scores more, much more. And you got 27 mil left over!

Sin-gunner

Van Bommel is a good choice. We will also get morienties+ a lot of cash to get young talented player (Van der Vart ?).

PV4 will never be replace, nobody can match him.

Nawoo

Mark Van Bommel!

That guy is a thunderbolt shooter and can play center back when needed.

Wenger wanted him a few years ago but didn't go for it

arsena1

Sol said:
I think we need to replace PV with a similar type of player ie big, stong and physical.

Gerrard would be my first choice, but that wont happen this year. Maybe next if Liverpool are s***e again this season.

Is it Appiah at Juventus? He is a good player I think. And another guy who I cant think of his name right now, but he is an African who plays for a French team. Very highly rated. Lyon or Lens I think it is. Maybe they could come in a do a job.

Then there is Yaya who I konw nothing about, but has a good reputation.

But possibly we have Vieiras replacement already on our books. Kolo Toure. I know he is a defender and has been brilliant there blah blah blah. But think about it - fast, strong, fit, skillful. He could be the man. But then we would need another defender. Maybe 30 mill could get us Nesta?

they are calling him crappiah at Juve.
toure doesn't have the same range in passing
nor the close control nor the stature.

the closest to Vieira is .....
nobody. nobody is even close
to vieira.

if vieira goes and I don't think so,
the way we play might have to be
changed.

calvinngai88

Why the hell are you guys thinking of replacements for Vieira? He still has years to go at Arsenal. For goodness sake, if Wenger is going to mould another gem, it will take YEARS. and wenger's already 55? how many years will he be there for management? this is now THE team to win the CL. Everyone knows that.

A

Anonymous

Firstly i, and many other people i know, wouldnt forgive him for leaving and certainly wouldnt wish him the best of luck at a rival. The only reason he wil leave is because of pure greed. Why else would he leave? This club is top of england, about to mount champions league challenges, building the best stadium in europe, and he is the captain!! If he leaves it is just disloyal.
I suppose he is getting on and probably has 3-4 more good years in him, so if we could just hold on to him for abit more it would be great, but 30 mill goes a long way. A good solid english player like gerrard or lampard could come in an do brilliantly, they will be moulded into an equal of vieira as they are both still young.
Maybe for 30 mill and abit more of our money we could buy ballack (17 mil) and gerrard (20 mill) and that would certainly be better than having just vieira. In fact i would be much happier if that happened.
30 mill could buy us a replacement and also some squad players or something also.
What would you do as manager? I would keep vieira for 2 more years of his contract, then let him go for 30 mill min, and buy ballack and gerrard :lol:

calvinngai88

You think when other clubs know that you have 30m, will they sell their players at the same price? I'm sure Ballack and Gerrard's prices will definitely shoot up if you are interested in buying.

A

Anonymous

Either way, if he wants to be a greedy bastard and **** off, then there will ALWAYS be replacements. Its not like hes the only great centre mid in history, players are always developed. We may have a gap for a season but do you really think wenger would struggle replacing him? I mean come on, he was the one who developed paddy, he will just do it again with someone else. There was life before paddy and there will be life after him as well - when he does leave.

EIE

calvinngai88

But it will take time to develop a player into such a worldclass one like Vieira. Im confident with the Toures, Kolo was with Arsenal for the 1st season, he scored an own goal. He was very angry, very upset for his actions. The second season he came out, it was definitely a different Kolo we seen. Exceptionally solid at the back. Maybe Yaya would be the same. Some players do take some time to adapt like Edu.

A

Anonymous

Yeh it will take time, buts thats football, players come and go and i am sure with a manager like wenger he will pick a correct replacement, he turned vieira into vieira, he can turn another player into just as good a player. I still think gerrard would be a perfect replacement, hes not that much worse than paddy, plus hes younger.

Gooner_Milton

The big question is WILL Pool sell Gerrard?

Many of us here assume that Pool will sell if we come calling. They've already rejected the overtures of Chelski, what made you think they won't do the same to us?

calvinngai88

Gerrard rejected the personal terms of Chelsea, because he was agreed by the Liverpool's board to give him the no.8 shirt. The wages remained the same. And that IF Rafael Benitez doesn't do a good job, Im sure Gerrard will think twice. Gerrard's giving him a season-long time to prove that he can make Liverpool into a decent club. Remember Gerrard's ambition is just the same as Vieira, play the CL frequently and win the CL.

Gerrard, Lampard or Ballack are all fantastic potential signings, but they're unavailable. I would definitely not want to see Van Bommel here! other than the fact that he wanted a move to Sp**s, he's simply not good enough for Arsenal. not that reliable, pretty poor tackling, not the greatest in passing... isn't it enough that we've got ungifted players in our squad such as Gilberto Silva (without Vieira, he'll be utter cr*p :| )?

I would go for a whole new central midfield, with 2 signings. one is Thomas Gravesen- he's a powerhouse, he's at an underacheiving club, his playstyle is very similar to Paddy, he knows how to create dominance, and they're about the same age. I would also sign Michael Carrick, he seems like a very bright prospect.

I would certainly not go for Owen Hargreaves as the papers claim- he's totally useless, I don't see what Eriksson finds in him, and he won't have any improvement on our game.

sienna

Gravesen you've got to be kidding me?! Agree about Hargreaves though; he's like a headless chicken. Carrick - don't know much about him. I think Wenger used to rate him highly.

lewdikris

Established Member
Gravesen and Carrick in midfield? Jesus. What are we, Tottenham?

For £30 million quid you could buy any two of Emerson, Ballack, Maniche and Alonso - and those are the four best central midfielders in the world whose names are not Patrick Vieira.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

Arsenal have got as much chance of being handed the title by Sp*rs as I have of being given the Crown Jewels. They are the last people we want winning the Championship. Now we mean to round off our season by beating Arsenal.

Alan Mullery (Sp*rs captain in 1971)

There is no way we were going to be beaten

Bertie Mee in the same game after beating Spurs and clinching the Double at White Hart Lane
Top Bottom