• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

With £30mil in the bank, who could replace Vieira?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gravesen and Carrick in midfield? Jesus. What are we, Tottenham?

Some suggested we should sign Van Bommel, who if I recall said he was a Sp**s fan... :roll:

Gravesen is too underrated. he proved himself at Everton & Denmark, I think Vieira and Gravesen are very similar in their style and I believe he's got a lot more to show at club level. he could be a very good signing in my opinion.

zerofeel

me reckons Maniche,van bommel,gerrard.xabi alonso would be a decent replacement for the colossal Viera.Nowhere near the class and panache of Viera but someone has to do the water carrier job if he sod off....im sure Wenger will be astute enough to find an abled deputy and make him a world class player like he did with Viera...to be honest,am pretty tired of hearing news about Viera's transfer all the time..if its not him,it will be Henry...about time Wenger makes a firm decision about Viera's situation.If he goes then too bad we just need to learn to move on.As long as he doesnt go to Chelsea or Manure that blow wouldnt be that hard to swallow imho.

KingReyes

Established Member
I think its hard to replace a player like Vieira whether its now or later on in the future if he leaves then. At the present time Steve Gerrard has the potential to fullfill that role whom is a player I really like. Other Midfielders whether they are a PPV4 replacement I don't know, is Ballack. Its so hard to mention more than three names ATM that can do a better job.

TRUE GUNNER

Gravesen, van bommel are you having a laugh this is arsenal were talking about not fulham. And if vieira does go how are they gona replace him, there total crap. If he does leave which i dont think he is you have to go for players like - emerson, gerrard, gattuso, Rubén Baraja, people who can live with the premier league and have good experience in the champions league, and these players are all world class players.

Eastrek

Sebastion Svard :shock:

na seriously i admit i havent seen much of this guy, but against Grimsby a couple of years back he looked like a vieria-type-player in the worthless cup, then he didnt do bad in Keowns testimonial. He been out on loan twice now, if wenger didnt see him having a future surely he would have been released by now.

GoonerGurjit

Established Member
lewdikris said:
For £30 million quid you could buy any two of Emerson, Ballack, Maniche and Alonso - and those are the four best central midfielders in the world whose names are not Patrick Vieira.

I think you're getting a bit carried away. Alonso's very good but he's not amongst the best four central midfielders in the world yet. What about the likes of Gattuso, Davids, Pirlo, Baraja, Xavi, and Gerrard?

GoonerGurjit

Established Member
Gerrard would be my, your and Wenger's first choice to replace Vieira but Liverpool won't sell him this season. Marc van Bommel's not turned in to bad player overnight. Wenger's always rated him highly. Ballack and Edu could form a very elegant central midfield combination. Others I wouldn't mind are Emre, Gattuso, Maniche and Tiago, if he wasn't going to Chelsea!

kazu

if vieira really chooses to go :cry: , gattuso or ballack will be great.... if they are available at all....

JGooner

I don't like Gattuso. He's just a work-horse, I reckon. I am also not quite as sold on Maniche as others. He hasn't done it in a top league yet.

If Vieira goes, he has to be replaced by someone we know can hack it at the highest level consistently. This, for me, means someone like Ballack or Gerrard (Euro 2004 aside, his international performances have been excellent for someone who is usually played out of position). With Gerrard, there would be no settling in period as he would not be changing league.

My position on this whole issue now is that Vieira will probably leave but that we should be relaxed about it and think of it as an opportunity for us. We will have the money to buy a replacement and perhaps another one or two players, and then reshape our team. We never won the CL while Vieira was here, so it's not as if his absence will be fatal to our European hopes. In fact, wouldn't it be better to have TWO top class CMs (if our post-Vieira budget could stretch to that) than just Vieira plus Edu/Gilberto?

Sammer

Established Member
JGooner said:
I suggested Gerrard in the other thread, not because he is as good as Vieira (nobody is) but because he is young and gifted enough to match him one day.

Ballack is another monster midfielder but of a different type. He wouldn't replace Vieira's defensive qualities, which Gerrard has the ability to do.

I see it the exact opposite way: Gerrard´s capabilities are mainly in going forward, while Ballack is more ballanced in terms of defensive and attacking qualities.

Considering our current squad: Ballack, but we would still need someone doing defensive work, too. Freddie and Bobby are attacking players.

calvinngai88

I suppose Wenger would go for Italian youngsters like Lupoli instead of established superstars as what you all said, Pirlo and Gattuso.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom