• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

With £30mil in the bank, who could replace Vieira?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alexone234

Off the top of my head, I cannot think of another CM player who can do the job Pat can. That said, £30mil can go a long way.

So who can play that role?

JGooner

I suggested Gerrard in the other thread, not because he is as good as Vieira (nobody is) but because he is young and gifted enough to match him one day.

Ballack is another monster midfielder but of a different type. He wouldn't replace Vieira's defensive qualities, which Gerrard has the ability to do.

A.M.A.G.

I've asked myself who could replace this fella... and time and time again I give up before finding an answer...

lets hope this doesn't get unpleasant

RocktheCasbah

Established Member
Unpleasant how?

Between Arsenal and Vieira?

Between us and Vieira?

Either way, as someone said, if he wants to go, then he should be allowed to go with his head held high and our thanks for wonderful service. I can't believe I'm typing this, but as long as are properly recompensed for losing him, then Dein, Wenger et al must be gracious about it.

That said, it's not certain, is it? Is it?

Mark

Established Member
If there was someone who was as good as or better than Vieira then Real Madrid would be after them. That's the point. Vieira is without a doubt the best in the world in this position and no matter who we buy we will not replace him. I'm sure of that.

A

Anonymous

I think we need to replace PV with a similar type of player ie big, stong and physical.

Gerrard would be my first choice, but that wont happen this year. Maybe next if Liverpool are ****e again this season.

Is it Appiah at Juventus? He is a good player I think. And another guy who I cant think of his name right now, but he is an African who plays for a French team. Very highly rated. Lyon or Lens I think it is. Maybe they could come in a do a job.

Then there is Yaya who I konw nothing about, but has a good reputation.

But possibly we have Vieiras replacement already on our books. Kolo Toure. I know he is a defender and has been brilliant there blah blah blah. But think about it - fast, strong, fit, skillful. He could be the man. But then we would need another defender. Maybe 30 mill could get us Nesta?

A

Anonymous

sorry to say if we get £30 million , i'll have morientes plus Emerson and Barraja, or Gerrard, or Seedorf...no one is irreplacable he has been great ..but even with him we cant win champions league...if we let him go its because...Arsène Knows!!!

Alexone234

One big point is, we have had Vieira for 7 years and not won the CL. This means that teams not containing Vieira have won every year.

My point being that you don't need Vieira to win the CL trophy.

Annoyingly though, we will no longer be favourites to win anything as while everyone else has strengthened this summer, we would have weakened.

RocktheCasbah

Established Member
Another point we might all like to consider is Arsène's talent for shinging rough diamonds up. Paddy wasn't the world's best midfielder when he joined us, it was his ability and Wenger's coaching that turned him into such a great player. IF Vieira goes, who is to say Arsène won't do it again?

Allyboy

Established Member
Alexone234 said:
Annoyingly though, we will no longer be favourites to win anything as while everyone else has strengthened this summer, we would have weakened.

I think we are much better as the underdog fighting against the bigger and more high profile teams, and as for being weakend, I seem to remember a certain Mr Henry being signed in the aftermath of the Anelka transfer and Pires from the Overmars/Petit deals.

If Vieria goes, Arsène WILL get quality replacements.

dsurg

NO one is irreplaceable...its just that fillin his shoes would be quite a task...but Baraja sounds good..and so does Gattuso

patrick42uk

Established Member
Sol said:
I think we need to replace PV with a similar type of player ie big, stong and physical.

Gerrard would be my first choice, but that wont happen this year. Maybe next if Liverpool are s***e again this season.

Is it Appiah at Juventus? He is a good player I think. And another guy who I cant think of his name right now, but he is an African who plays for a French team. Very highly rated. Lyon or Lens I think it is. Maybe they could come in a do a job.

Michael essien at lyon. yes he is very similar in build to vieira. i think wenger could do a job on him to make him a top player. wont have appiah, he was inconsistent this season for juventus. his passing at times looked dodgy when i'v seen him.

patrick42uk

Established Member
JGooner said:
Xavi Alonso, maybe? Or is already signing for someone else?

his move to madrid fell through i think. top player but i think he should stay in spain. like tiago, he has the tough mentality for this league but not the build. he could get bullied in the middle of the park.

Alexone234

it will be a big task. I loved the idea of playing Kolo there. He is about the same age Pat was when he arrived. he is quicker than Vieira too.

Could be a great option.

Spike

Established Member
Lets not talk about that, it's a long way before we can start saying who'll replace Pat when he hasn't actually left.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom