• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Wojciech Szczesny (Out)

Status
Not open for further replies.

bingobob

A-M’s Resident Hunskelper
Trusted ⭐

You do realise we could just renew his contract?
We already said we won't subsidise to allow him to go back to Roma so I cannot see us giving him a new one and subsidising it for another few years only to then have to renew when the two years ends again. We'd effectively be paying him for nothing and giving someone else all the benefit.

Last edited:

Taylor Gang Gunners

Say Yeh or You're Making The List
Trusted ⭐
We already said we won't subsidise to allow him to go back to Roma so I cannot see us giving him a new one and subsidising it for another few years only to then have to renew when the two years ends again. We'd effectively be paying him for nothing and giving someone else all the benefit.

You're looking at this all wrong. They only benefit short term from his performances, he'd still be our player. If he goes off and develops into a top class keeper, the 12 or so million we'll get from him now will look like pittance.

Think of Courtois over at Chelski, loaned to a top club, earned vital experience and came back to be club no.1 for years to come. I'd like something similar with Szczesny. I love Cech to bits but Szczesny is only 26 years old, would be a bit naive to give up on him now.

bingobob

Trusted ⭐

You're looking at this all wrong. They only benefit short term from his performances, he'd still be our player. If he goes off and develops into a top class keeper, the 12 or so million we'll get from him now will look like pittance.

Think of Courtois over at Chelski, loaned to a top club, earned vital experience and came back to be club no.1 for years to come. I'd like something similar with Szczesny. I love Cech to bits but Szczesny is only 26 years old, would be a bit naive to give up on him now.
The way I look at it is we would be pawning him. If we pay half his wages elsewhere for 2 years it costs us £5m or we sell him for 15m. Id rather the extra money now to invest into the team now. Loaning and bringing him back after 2 years will cost 15m.

So why take the risk. Just sell him 2 years from now if he is worth taking back the club he is with will be in a position where they need to renew or sell themselves. Slap 30m down and in effect costs us the £15m we would have paid to keep him anyway as we already received £15m for him.

For me it's a no brainer. Invest now and if he is good enough go back for him.

Dokaka

AM's resident Hammer
Think he had a better season than Cech, arguably at least on par with him now if he can keep his current form going forward.

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐

Di Marzio reporting Roma are close to keep Sczesnsey with them for another season.

4R5Emaniac

Always fresh from Bangladesh
Good move. He has proper competition from Brazilian no.1 for the first choice and another season of games+learning for him.

I just hope Ospina stays.

Aevi

Hale End FC
Cech #1, Ospina leaving, Martinez backup, and Szczesny loan is a good way to go. We'd still be set this season, and would have a plan coming up for the future. Martinez had a good season before he was injured at Wolverhampton, so he deserves to get a crack at first-team play. Another loan to a good side would be beneficial to Szczesny, he'll get more gametime this way.

We're looking set.

ksarp

Are we still deliberating over Wally? The kid's maxed out his potential. He will always be Wally - great shot stopper, terrible distributor and guaranteed to screw something up during a game. A stock I'd recommend SELL now that it's worth something.

bingobob

Trusted ⭐

Makes no sense unless we actively look to extend his contract. Paying him to be elsewhere running down the contract and losing value does us no favours. Great for Roma if they decide to buy though. He'll be worth less than he was last season.

Mark Tobias

Mr. Agreeable
Cech #1, Ospina leaving, Martinez backup, and Szczesny loan is a good way to go. We'd still be set this season, and would have a plan coming up for the future. Martinez had a good season before he was injured at Wolverhampton, so he deserves to get a crack at first-team play. Another loan to a good side would be beneficial to Szczesny, he'll get more gametime this way.

We're looking set.
Two seasons ago I might have agreed with this. Now I can't. We just fixed the goalie situation and now we must risk playing martinez? What if Cech gets another concussion?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom