Word Censor & Swearing Update

Discussion in 'Noticeboard' started by USArsenal, Jul 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. USArsenal

USArsenal H.Y.I.C. Administrator

All,

Just wanted to give the forum notice on some recent developments with the site.

The Word Censor is being updated to add some additional words as well as completely "star" out those which are the most offensive swear words.

We would urge members to try to state their ideas/posts with words other than swear words. We do realize that in the heat of the moment, people have a tendency to slip and swear (and believe me, our team has given us many reasons to swear recently), and that is why we have the censor in place, but since we are trying to make the site as "all-ages friendly" as possible, we would appreciate your co-operation with this.

Those that habitually attempt to circumvent the sensor by mis-spelling words will have actions taken against them that will include warnings and/or banning (either temporary or permanent based on severity or reoccurence).

Again, please try to understand that just as with the Arsenal stadium experience, this site is trying to make it pleasant for ALL those who come here to discuss Arsenal (and that includes all ages) and we feel they should not be bombarded with swearing either at or around them.

Thank you in advance.

The Arsenal Mania Team

2. otfgoon

otfgoon New Member

That reminds me, where has thegame24 gone? :(

3. The  Jury

The Jury Well-Known Member

Going to sound really harsh now, but what's the point of taking minors into consideration on an interner football forum? It's idealism gone stark raving mad tbh.

4. White Pele

White Pele New Member

I lol'd. :lol:

5. General

General Well-Known Member

Yep. It can be a useful tool for promoting members but warning or banning people for using swear words is a bit over the top. As long as it is not used in a tirade against another member (which then makes it a rule break in itself) I just don't see the harm. As has been said, the internet is littered with much worse material accessible by all ages.

I’m slightly baffled by the ‘Arsenal stadium experience’ comment.

6. USArsenal

As you might know, Arsenal has frowned upon standing, yelling, etc. in an effort to make the game-watching experience at the stadium more "family friendly". That is what this new "rule" is supposed to be about.

The company that sponsors the site now asked if we could be more conscientious about the swearing, so we posted this update. Once sponsors are involved with a site, it it common for them to want to clean up the language a bit. It happens with a lot of sites, especially as they get bigger and more commercially appealing.

We put the word censor in place for those that do like to swear, but it's really the blatant mis-spelling of those words which look virtually the same as the actual words to most eyes that we're asking to curb. We're just asking that members tone it down a bit whenever possible.

7. General

General Well-Known Member

For a minute, I thought it was an exercise in over sanitization. Thanks for the explanation.

8. OneProudGooner

OneProudGooner New Member

The board is messed up now, I don't even know what people are saying with all these **** replacing alot of the words.
    It's turned into a puzzle trying to work out the words, we should get points f-or guessing the right answer. :D

9. silent_shadow

silent_shadow Well-Known Member

Completely messed up. Can't understand a thing. :lol:

Surprised that went through the censor.

10. James

James New Member Elite

11. silent_shadow

silent_shadow Well-Known Member

Everything that begins with the letter eff is censored. Funny.

12. Klayze

Klayze New Member

13. nazo

nazo New Member Elite

effdatshit

test

edit: it isn't censored for me :|

edit2: on firefox it's not censored but i tested ie8 and everything with an f in it is censored.

14. Amuro Ray

Amuro Ray New Member

what the **** is going on?

15. famous no 10

famous no 10 New Member Elite

some funny **** going on...

16. famous no 10

ok, so if a word starts with an "eff" it's censored, right?

17. Amuro Ray

Amuro Ray New Member

18. famous no 10

19. MDGoonah41

MDGoonah41 New Member

lol the board is broken!

20. USArsenal

the crazy censoring has been fixed.. everyone should be able to see the regular, non-swear "f" words again..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.