• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

'World class'?

Lehmann1

For me these guys are

Lehmann - He has improved and is a consistent performer for club and country.

Henry- Obviously

Toure - He plays with heart and determination but also has the superb defending ability to back this up.

Rosicky- I think Tommy is yet to reach his peak but he's always a player I have considered world class

Gallas - I always thought he was one of the best even though he was at Chelsea. He can play in a number of different positions and not look out of place

Gilberto - For what is expected from a holding midfielder he does this very well. His performances against Riquelme showed he is one of the best at his job

I considered putting Fab in because there are so many games I can think of where his passing and vision have amazed me but at the moment I'd rather not call him world class. He will get better and will be one of the best players of his generation but the best is yet to come from him

Qwxp437

off topic, but pires...! in the unbeaten season (1 year + and 1 - ) he was THE worlds best!

i don`t remember who wrote it, but if you think there are 20 dribblers from brasil who are better then Hleb - why has no club signed one of them...? plz tell Arsène where to find them!

bojed

AM Resident Joker #1
i really love it when people like to say "i can find 20 other strikers better than him" or "i can name 30 dribblers from brazil that are better than him"....

instead of saying figures, how 'bout providing us the names of those players? we could have some good arguments if we have clear examples to be compared and analyzed...

PaulDavis

YeahBee said:
Djourou said:
from a manutd forum:

"I have seen Fabregas twice this season now, the other time was against us. If he isn't the best midfielder in the country I would like to know who is. A bit lightweight early on but when Arsenal went up he ran the show."

that proves it all really!

I would liek to see waht Barca fans are writing on their forums LoL they must be heartbroken

PaulDavis said:
Thierry Henry
Kolo Toure
William Gallas
Tomas Rosicky

One of the best in their respective position.

I would add FAbregas to the mix aswell

I wouldn't add him in as yet till he goes onto the bigger stages (World Cup, European Championship etc ..) and shines. He is still very much in the shadow of Xavi and Xabi Alonso in the Spain squad.

gunnerGH

Established Member
We have three world class players in our squad:

Henry
Lehmann
Toure

Fabregas isnt world class yet and Van persie is too inconsistent to be world class

Mr. Hotshot

Established Member
Basically, World Class is if you are able to put up a brilliant and consistent performance in every major competition you play in. But nowadays, popularity can also make you become World Class.

For Arsenal, I think these guys are world class:

Thierry Henry
Tomasz Rosicky
William Gallas
Gilberto
Fabregas
RVP

jackycreegs

People here seem to rate Hleb as a better player than Fabregas, which I find a little bizarre. Hleb's a good player, but he gives the ball away too much - whereas Fabregas is just outrageously good.

11vanpersie

A World Class Prospect or a World Class Young Player, in Football terms is the name given to young players (generaly 21 or younger) who posess the ability and skill so strong for a player so young that they are predicted to be world beaters later on in thier careers. This term however is different to Wonderkids.

from wikipedia! generally i dont agree with that though because henry is world class and he is over 21 but then again when you see a kid as special as fabregas, torres or denilson you call them world class! because you know they will become world class! if that makes any sense :)

xpavel

11vanpersie said:
A World Class Prospect or a World Class Young Player, in Football terms is the name given to young players (generaly 21 or younger) who posess the ability and skill so strong for a player so young that they are predicted to be world beaters later on in thier careers. This term however is different to Wonderkids.

from wikipedia! generally i dont agree with that though because henry is world class and he is over 21 but then again when you see a kid as special as fabregas, torres or denilson you call them world class! because you know they will become world class! if that makes any sense :)
man read the wikipedia properly... it is about "prospect" or young player... this is not about "World Class" but about to "promise" to be world class... so Henry can´t fit here because he is not prospect (youngster) any more:)

11vanpersie

xpavel Posted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 4:49 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

11vanpersie wrote:

Quote:

from wikipedia! generally i dont agree with that though because henry is world class and he is over 21 but then again when you see a kid as special as fabregas, torres or denilson you call them world class! because you know they will become world class! if that makes any sense

man read the wikipedia properly... it is about "prospect" or young player... this is not about "World Class" but about to "promise" to be world class... so Henry can´t fit here because he is not prospect (youngster) any more:)

:roll: i was talking about that sorry if i phrased it wrong 8)

www.thegoonerforum.moonfruit.com

By Benni_S

In light of Henry's comments last night about Arsenal not being a big club, i thought i would wriet something about whether his statement is true or not. This has been rather a topical point of the last year and a half or so, while estabishing ourselves as big club within the premiership, certainly within the top 3 along with Chelsea and Manchester United.
However within Europe it is has been slightly debateable up until last season how much of a force we are. Added to this how large we are on a global football basis.

The first thing to do is assess the major aspects of the club,

Emirates Stadium - A brand new state of the art stadium that could rival any stadium in the country and possibly europe it may not be the largest but the qualiy of the pitch and acoustics within the stadium are second to none. As a monument to the progression of the club this stadium is a tribute to how far arsenal have progressed over the last 10 years, it is a beacon of the modern and represents the modern style of football that team shows on the pitch week in week out.

The Squad - We possess Thierry Henry in who is one of the most talismanic players we have had for a long time, he has just assumed more responsibility than ever before and is a shining example of the perfect footballer who matches his world class performances on the pitch with a genuinely down to earth and fantastic personality off the pitch.He represents Arsenal in a way that every fan of the club is proud of. But the squad does not stop there . we have what is becoming a world class squad made up of world class experience in Gilberto and Gallas world cup winners Rosicky who is experienced both internationally and in european competition and Toure one of the most consistent performers in the premiership. Also world class potential in Fabregas one of the most exiciting players to come through for a while the same with Walcott, Van Persie, Eboue and Djourou. This squad is already the envy of most in the premiership and possibly the most a large amount of europe,. and becuase of the age they can only get better which for arsenal fans is fantastic prospect and something to worry abtouf or the opposition!

Arsène Wenger - The man at the helm, whose regarded by many including myself as one of the best managers in the world. The professor with the amazing ability to unearth amazing talent and who as said in previous articles revolutionised english football, to be a big club you have to have an iconic manager that others look up to and Wenger is certainly that.

So on the face of this one would have to say that Arsenal are one of the biggest clubs they have the infrastructure, players, and manager that can be compared with the ther major clubs in the world. However i personally think that one of the most determining factors in deicding the size of a club is to look at the fanbase, this will truely tell whether this club has the global recognition tha would enable it to be called not just a big club but a global club.
Arsenal have always had a large and generally loyal fanbase, with virtually all home matches selling out; in 2005-06, Arsenal had the sixth-highest average attendance in England (38,184), and this has never changed over the years, even before stadiums were all seater the club still had one of the largest supporter turn outs of all the clubs in the country.
As we know it is the global fanbase that is the important over the years as the premiership has become a more global product Arsenal now have many fans not just from London but all over England and the world. While there have always been small pockets of supporters abroad, Arsenal's support base has widened considerably with the advent of satellite television, and there are now significant supporters' clubs in Scandinavia, South East and East Asia and the United States. A 2005 report by Granada Ventures, which owns a 9.9% stake in the club, estimated Arsenal's global fanbase at 27 million, the third largest in the world.

Now for me all the points made above can lead me only too one conclusion, that Arsenal are not just a big club, but one of the largest in the world, not just on fanbase but also achievements and finacially, our performances on the pitch almost mirror this point, the team is in the records books domestically and in european competition.

So why did Thierry say that we were not, was this because he deems a club to be big by the number of lucky decisions they got, or was it (as i think) born out of true frustration and was just a statement that was let out in the heat of the moment, if we were not a big club would he have signed a new 4 year contract? i think not, while we may not get the rub of green on as many occasions as other big teams, we can never be accused of not earning what we win.

We are a big club, with great tradition, great history, and great future ahead of us.

hleb

Established Member
We just need to win the Big One to be classed up there with the likes of Real, Barcelona , Milan. IMO if we hit our potential we can be the most dominant force of our decade. Just wish Thierry was 25, not 29...

Latest posts

Top Bottom