World Cup 2018 (Russia)

Discussion in 'Football Talk' started by al-Ustaadh, Feb 21, 2018.

?

Who will win the FIFA World Cup?

This poll will close on Jun 13, 2018 at 11:03 PM.
  1. Germany

35.4%
  2. Brazil

16.9%
  3. France

18.5%
  4. Spain

6.2%
  5. Argentina

6.2%
  6. Belgium

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Portugal

1.5%
  8. England (LOL)

9.2%
  9. Other

6.2%
  1. al-Ustaadh

al-Ustaadh Professor of Twitter

Wanted to go ahead and get a thread started for the World Cup. Was interested in hearing what players and/or national teams everyone is looking forward to see playing? Who are you cheering for to win the tournament? Who do you think will actually win it?

Personally, I'll be cheering for Nigeria and England. Still trying to figure out who will win it, though. And I'm looking forward to seeing Iwobi, Ndidi, Zakaria, Wilshere, Mbappe, Messi, and Asensio play.

(And maybe if the mods are interested, they can start a poll asking who we think will win?)

Last edited: Feb 22, 2018
  2. asukru

asukru Well-Known Member

Should be a good World Cup - can really see some surprises. I think Messi may finally lead Argentina to glory - if not them I would like to see Spain back on top. France should be fun to watch with all the young talent and maybe just maybe Belgium will finally click with all the talent they have.

3. MkhiMagic

MkhiMagic Well-Known Member

One of Germany, Spain, Brazil. The only reason I'm not voting Germany is because it's so unlikely for anyone to win it back to back.

France and Belgium have the deepest/best squads but are poorly coached and don't play like a team.

Argentina have the best attacking talent as always but somehow are the most boring team in the tournament to watch no matter who the manager is.

Toby Andrl likes this.
  4. GeorgiaGunner

GeorgiaGunner Closet United Fan

A few sides are close (or even slightly superior) in terms of raw talent, but, I think it'll be Germany again. A decent chunk of 2014's side is still around, their B-team just won the Confederations Cup, and until I see otherwise, I think they'll be the best prepared -- both mentally and tactically speaking.

Toby Andrl likes this.
  5. KingVerse

KingVerse Active Member

I'm calling it now. We´ll draw Argentina in the first match who eventually go on and win the whole thing which in turn ends the Ronaldo/Messi debate for good.
    Fun fact, our first match at the Euros was against Portugal who ended up champions (despite finishing 3rd in our group)
    Other teams I'm looking forward to seeing is France. Future Arsenal star Mbappe is going to shine.
    Also interested in seeing HOW England mess up this time, imagine the headlines when Panama send them home.

6. al-Ustaadh

al-Ustaadh Professor of Twitter

Do you know something we don’t?

GeorgiaGunner likes this.
  7. Vinci

Vinci The Sultan of Unai

Think Brazil will win it, have the most quality overall.

Germany lacks real quality in some areas, France has a lot of good players, but aren't a team, Spain may be over the hill, Argentina has world-class attackers, but average otherwise.

And Belgium, can you imagine Roberto Martinez leading them to a title? :lol:

8. Erlis

Erlis Only Came To See Granit Xhaka

I hope England wins it, I've been watching their league for a year and a half now, so why not?

9. hydrofluoric acid

hydrofluoric acid Unsinkable !

More than half the nation gonna chase our team around Russia.

So it will be good chance to go to Spain for summer vacation!

Gegen Pressing and GeorgiaGunner like this.
  10. GeorgiaGunner

GeorgiaGunner Closet United Fan

AM was nestled all snug in their beds, / While visions of club sugar-daddies danced in their heads...

al-Ustaadh likes this.
  11. Rain Dance

Rain Dance Well-Known Member Trusted

As always I root for Germany, but I don't mind France

12. Tir Na Nog

Tir Na Nog Every Little Thing Is Gonna Be Alright Trusted

If Germany can keep up their motivation levels to retain their world cup then I feel they should do. There's just something about them in these big tournaments where they have the edge. Neuer in goals with Boateng and Hummels at the back is already good experience in there with guys like Kroos, Gundogan and Özil in midfield. Maybe someone like Werner or Draxler can become standout players in an attacking sense while we all know how Muller does in world cups.

Brazil and Spain are their biggest threats as they're both filled with quality, but I'm not feeling France at all, reliant on a lot of young players at the moment and it may just be at least a tournament too soon to go all the way. Belgium, nah don't think so. Argentina are too heavily reliant on Messi and I don't think Sampaoli's style is gonna enable them to beat the likes of Brazil, Germany, Spain or France in a game, I think they need a more pragmatic approach than his style. Portugal, it'd be a bigger miracle than the Euros but you never know with the dark invader. England have no chance of winning it barring at least the top 10 teams get disqualified but even then they'd **** it up.

GeorgiaGunner likes this.
  13. Dennis_Bergkamp_10

Dennis_Bergkamp_10 Well-Known Member

Holland will win it.

SiMamu and GeorgiaGunner like this.
  14. Notorious Big

Notorious Big Well-Known Member

1.Brazil,2.France,3.Germany.4.Spain,5.Argentina,6.Belgium,7.Portugal

Shame that there is no Holland,Chile and Italy.On the other hand,Brazil and France have the most individual quality in squad.Germany isn't strong like in 2014,but have good system and every player can fit in that.Spain is in similar position.Argentina and Belgium are dark horses.

15. Brown Gooner

Brown Gooner Well-Known Member

IMO, it is too early for this thread. A thread of this magnitude should have been started after the season gets over (after the UCL final) and ideally by a moderator.

I will chip in with my thoughts on the World Cup after this season ends.

16. Makingtrax

Makingtrax Arséne is Temporary, Emery Sucks Trusted

More than 100 England fans arrested yesterday in Amsterdam, the papers reporting meetings between the Russian Ultras and Argentina's Barry's Brava brawlers, Putin throwing nerve agents around and interfering in elections . . . this World Cup is shaping up to be a blood bath.

And between Brexit and the Falkland Islands, we're not winning many friends these days.

With a rumoured 10000 '3 lions' fans having booked their tickets already, this could be quite a cull.

17. rich 1990

rich 1990 Occasional Moaner

I suggest, unless you want me to go off on Anti England racism, you remove the LOL from the poll. Every bloody tournament.

18. SuperGoon

SuperGoon Debbie Downer

Lmfao @ anti-english racism. Cop on, man. You're historically one of the most racist nations on the planet. The least people have is the right to hate your sport teams.

Beksl likes this.
  19. Flying Okapis

Flying Okapis Well-Known Member

Germany win it for me, completely professional about everything, look at Thomas Muller for gods sake, he will be in bed at 8pm each night!

The team hasnt aged too badly either and have added a few extras since 4yrs ago in the likes of Sane, Werner etc.

A lot of the other nations are missing a few key pieces in my opinion and unless they gel and have a Greece style tournament cohesion its the Germans who are set up to win it.

20. yousif_arsenal

yousif_arsenal King of Twitter Rumours Moderator

Hopefully won't be missing aloy of games because I'll busy going back to my country.

I think Brazil will be strong favorite I like their team and how they performing