World Cup Final: France vs Croatia

Discussion in 'World Cup 2018 Talk' started by blaze_of_glory, Jul 13, 2018 at 5:41 AM.

?

Who will win the World Cup?

Poll closed Sunday at 3:41 PM.
  1. France

79.2%
  2. Croatia

20.8%
  1. blaze_of_glory

blaze_of_glory The wheel turns Moderator

[​IMG] vs [​IMG]

https://www.fifa.com/worldcup/matches/match/300331552/#match-liveblog

Well after a month of some pretty great football, there are only two countries standing. This marks France's third appearance in the final, the last being 2006 when they lost to Italy and Zidane finished his career with that infamous head butt. France were also finalists in the 2016 Euros, where they lost to an unfavoured Portugal side missing Cristiano Ronaldo. They have gotten stronger and stronger as the tournament has gone on and will be looking to avoid another finals disappointment to become world champions for the second time, twenty years after the first (wow that makes me feel old).

Croatia meanwhile make the final for the first time, becoming the 13th nation to do so. After finishing third at France '98, they haven't made it past the group stage at a world cup until now. This team has gone the full 120+ minutes in each of their knock-out round games, fighting back from 0-1 down each time. Will they be able battle through one more round to make history here?

celestis likes this.
  2. misko

misko New Member

It will be very difficult for the Croatia against the best french Player in this World Cup : Griezmann.

3. albakos

albakos Arséne Wenger: "I will miss you" Administrator

France are the big favourites, but Croatia have the belief they can go all the way. After grueling set of matches, they have maximum confidence in them and with history of France collapsing in finals, this should be a cracking final.

blaze_of_glory likes this.
  4. Sapient Hawk

Sapient Hawk #NeverArteta

It'll be a difficult final despite France being the favorites. The Croats have gone above & beyond in each of their matches.

Its worth noting that the French team in this final have received significant upgrades that were lacking in its Euro 2016 edition.

Varane in for Koscielny, Pavard & Hernandez in for Sagna & Evra, Mbappe in for Payet & most important of all, Kante in for Sissoko.

Also, if neither Griezmann, Mbappe & Giroud can breach the Croatian defense, they will have Dembele to call on to find a way.

As I said, they're favorites, but anything can happen in 90 minutes.

5. Vinci

Vinci The Sultan of Unai

This World Cup has been pretty boring and now for the climax to see Giroud bungle around up top for one last time.

6. American_Gooner

American_Gooner Not actually American. Unless Di Marzio says so. Moderator

Would love to see Croatia pull it off.

albakos, Rex Banner and Nyctophobia like this.
  7. Garrincha

Garrincha AM Resident Joker #2

Like both story lines of Modric joining the elite of the elite or the group of Mbappe, Pogba, Varane & Kante achieving this feat so young.

Either winner fully deserve it. Two best teams & probably in Modric / Mbappe the two best players this tournament.

8. Rain Dance

Rain Dance Well-Known Member Trusted

Griezmann has not been doing well, if there is any time he should shine this is it. And would love to have Giroud score

Meanwhile, Croatia is great and I don't think there is any criticism about them being in the final.

May the best team win

albakos and blaze_of_glory like this.
  9. Godwin1

Godwin1 Very well-known

France going to stroll this one, Croatia haven't been particularly impressive nor do they look close on paper. Would like the Croats to do it but you'd be mental to bet against France.

10. krengon

krengon One Arsene Wenger Trusted

11. dashsnow17

dashsnow17 Well-Known Member

I know the talk of Croatia's tiredness might be overplayed, it's not like they'll just collapse straight away. But they've played 90 minutes more than France and have had a day's less rest?? Like just in terms of pure sports science, that is gonna hurt you surely.

I very much hope this final isn't decided on a few Croatian muscles getting pushed to the limit and reaching it. That'd be very unsatisfying.

12. Fewtch

Fewtch Well-Known Member

I have no idea how you could possibly think that Griezmann has been the best french player this tournament. He’s been one of the most anonymous french players this tournament.
    Kante, Varane, Pogba, pavard, mbappe have all outperformed him by quite a lot.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2018 at 10:05 AM
    Flying Okapis likes this.
  13. misko

misko New Member

It's simple, he's the most decisive French Player in this World Cup, 3 goals and 2 assist, decisive during all elimination games. He did what world class players do : being decisive.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2018 at 1:32 PM
  14. Fewtch

Fewtch Well-Known Member

3 goals and two of them were penalties lol
    He has honestly been pretty bad and should’ve been replaced by fekir or dembele a couple matches in.

15. misko

misko New Member

I know someone who gets BO and recongnition for same type of goals (Real Madrid vs PSG, Spain vs Portugal especially), but when Kane or Griezmann do the same, they are bad player, I don't understand.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2018 at 2:16 PM
  16. Kajgod

Kajgod Member

I personally thought Griezmann did a lot for France this year (and most years before). he may not be as flashy a player like Mbappé, but his presence is felt a lot whenever France has possession.

misko likes this.
  17. Slartibartfast

Slartibartfast Well-Known Member

I just hope that if somebody scores a dramatic late winner they do the Willingham Slide to celebrate. :cool:

18. Rain Dance

Rain Dance Well-Known Member Trusted

they aren't bad players, just not the best player of the tournament. There is a huge gulf between bad players and best players

Last edited: Jul 15, 2018 at 3:38 AM
  19. Özillionaire

Özillionaire Granit Xhaka Enthusiast

Agreed. Thought Croatia were very average against Denmark and England. Slightly better against Russia but not by much.

I'm kind of hoping that their nerves are lifted now that they've got to the final and there's nothing really for them to lose and everything to gain in a game like this - but I doubt it'll be much of a contest. Predicting 3-0 to France.

20. CurryFlavoured

CurryFlavoured Well-Known Member

I've bet on France. Think they have a bit more quality and you've got to think that the mileage will catch up on Croatia. Also it's now clear that France beat the stronger semi-finalist in Belgium, whereas Croatia needed extra time to get past England. It would be incredible if Croatia won but I think it's going to be France.