• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

World Cup with 48 teams in 2026

carlito'sway

Established Member
The new prince at FIFA is pushing his agenda.

"The World Cup will be expanded to host 48 teams, up from 32, Fifa has decided.
An initial stage of 16 groups of three teams will precede a knockout stage for the remaining 32 when the change is made for the 2026 tournament.
The sport's world governing body voted unanimously in favour of the change at a meeting in Zurich on Tuesday.
The number of tournament matches will rise to 80, from 64, but the eventual winners will still play only seven games."
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/38565246

C1yy9ExXEAAxrbX.jpg

Nyctophobia

Established Member
I was going to make a comment about the financial boost from this as well, but I saw that Infantino already addressed it in the article, clever girl.

Batman

Head of the Wayne foundation for benching Nketiah

Player:Saliba
Football just following the world in general in going down the toilet. No real surprise.

novarek

Excellent news. When it's time for world cup I always want more, and that's what we're getting.

There shouldn't even be any qualifiers actually

carlito'sway

Established Member
Excellent news. When it's time for world cup I always want more, and that's what we're getting.

There shouldn't even be any qualifiers actually

Would be cool....Just have a WC with 211 teams. I am surprised Infantino didn't think of it.....:lol:

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

Can't wait to see lots of high quality games like Jamaica v Peru or Saudi Arabia vs New Zealand in every single group. There were enough dreadful games in the 2014 World Cup, adding 16 teams isn't going to make it better.

Half of the teams in South America basically qualify already, there's maybe a few African teams who are unlucky to miss out but at the same time their nations have underachieved in the World Cup almost constantly so four extra teams seems excessive.

Asian teams beyond Australia, South Korea and Japan are absolute banter as it is, giving four extra places to them so Uzbekistan, Saudi Arabia, Iran and Qatar qualify is hilarious.

CurryFlavoured

Established Member
Can't wait to see lots of high quality games like Jamaica v Peru or Saudi Arabia vs New Zealand in every single group. There were enough dreadful games in the 2014 World Cup, adding 16 teams isn't going to make it better.

Half of the teams in South America basically qualify already, there's maybe a few African teams who are unlucky to miss out but at the same time their nations have underachieved in the World Cup almost constantly so four extra teams seems excessive.

Asian teams beyond Australia, South Korea and Japan are absolute banter as it is, giving four extra places to them so Uzbekistan, Saudi Arabia, Iran and Qatar qualify is hilarious.
Better yet, we'll get to see top sides stick 11 goals past Burkina Faso or Zambia. How prestigious.

razörist

Soft With The Ladies, Hard With The Mes

I'd like for them to find a way to have less international breaks during the season. Use some of the extra time for a larger tournament whatever.

I have no problem with more teams, sure a lot will be bad quality, but I want to hold out for one or two fairy tales, like Iceland kicking out England or something. The supporters of the lesser countries also bring something special to the tournament.

Rimaal

Mesmerised By Raccoons
Trusted ⭐
I think this is gonna be fun. More football is never a bad thing. Always a chance for an exciting upset or two.

rich 1990

Not A Big Believer In Diversity
, but I want to hold out for one or two fairy tales, like Iceland kicking out England or something. .
That wasn't an upset. Iceland are better than England. Sainsburys would have given England a run for their money, ffs.

James Bond

Moderation Consultant
Will there now be far less qualifying rounds then? As is there are WAY to many games to quaify given the amount of teams that go.

This is FIFA so they're will be just as many if not more qualifying games on top of the expanded tournament.

On the bright side England (and the US) will surely host a WC soon given the changes. Cant think of many other countries who could/would want to host that many games/teams.

Aevi

Hale End FC
I didn't think about the less qualifying rounds part. If that comes with the deal, I'll have to rethink my stance on this. Corruption or not, I hate international breaks.

carlito'sway

Established Member
I'd like for them to find a way to have less international breaks during the season. Use some of the extra time for a larger tournament whatever.

I have no problem with more teams, sure a lot will be bad quality, but I want to hold out for one or two fairy tales, like Iceland kicking out England or something. The supporters of the lesser countries also bring something special to the tournament.

England will be kicked out anyway....If not by Iceland, it will be by Togo or Uzbekistan. :lol:

Latest posts+

Top Bottom