Worst Arsenal memory?

Discussion in 'Arsenal Talk' started by Rex Banter, Sep 23, 2019.

?

What is your worst Arsenal memory?

1. CL Quarter Final 2007/08

7.2%
  2. Gallas meltdown vs Birmingham

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. CL Final 2006

65.2%
  4. EFL Final 2011

1.4%
  5. 8-2

7.2%
  6. Wayne Bridge 2004

4.3%
  7. Fabregas and Nasri Leaving

1.4%
  8. RVP Leaving

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. 6-0 in Wenger’s 1000th game

7.2%
  10. Other: (10-2, collapsing on three fronts in 2010/11 etc)

5.8%
  1. Sapient Hawk

Sapient Hawk The Reason We're Out of Europe

The fact he was given the # 10 jersey, worn by a player who is stratospheres apart from him, was ominous enough.

2. Sapient Hawk

I'm still shocked that the Hasselbaink header at Elland Road doesn't feature prominently for most as the second worst memory after the 2006 CL final.

It literally handed the initiative to United & they went on to win the title by a solitary point.

A lot of things fell right for them that season.

But for Hasselbaink's goal & Bergkamp's missed penalty it would've been a double double for us instead of a historic treble for United.

3. HollandGooner

HollandGooner Well-Known Member

Ofcourse the CL final if Henry would have scored a couple we would have won it. shame we didnt.

4. Rex Banter

Rex Banter Knows a guy who knows an ITK at Bristol Trusted

The thing is we still should have won it even with those devastating losses at Chelsea and Utd.

We ended up struggling to draws against Villa, Wigan and Middlesbrough right after the Birmingham game. Two of those were at home as well.

That title run in will always haunt me, we should’ve been champions.

5. Ricardinho

Ricardinho La Liga Correspondent

I think it was said Wenger made choice to give it to him so that an inexperienced player didn't feel burdened by taking on the number after the great DB

Sapient Hawk likes this.
  6. Oxeki

Oxeki New Thread Merchant

@Rex Banner is a sadist.

I haven't seen the highlights of any of the incidence in the OP, nor do I intend to.

Even typing this is like reinjuring old wound

Rex Banter likes this.
  7. say yes

say yes To Sweet Soulful House Music

Only half joking as well.

The brilliance of football is that there is always another game / reason to be hopeful. I’ve never really struggled to get over defeats, however painful, as a result.

That decision to renew Wenger in 2017, when he was so clearly past it, killed any hope around the football club for an entire year. In hindsight, it seems that the club just wanted to put in place a new structure before moving away from the great man. But it felt like a sickening blow to the head at the time.

YeahBee and celestis like this.
  8. MikeVinna

MikeVinna Well-Known Member

CL final. Heartbreaking really if you think about it. Some of those players (Henry/Bergkamp) really deserved it and so did Wenger. End of an era that loss..

albakos likes this.
  9. VintageWhine

VintageWhine Member

Oh boy I just love this type of thread, I cried at the first result and was probably bald bitter and twisted by the last so here I go,
    69: Swindon Town 3 Arsenal 1. league cup final
    71: Stoke 5 Arsenal 0, league div 1
    73: Leeds 6 Arsenal 1, league div 1
    78:Ipswich 1 Arsenal 0, FA cup final
    80:West Ham 1 Arsenal 0, FA cup final
    85: York City 1 Arsenal 0, FA cup 4th
    88: Luton town 3 Arsenal 2, league cup final
    03: Arsenal 2 Leeds 3, league runners up.

These still all hurt but on a happy note watching Supermac knocking out Kenny Burns with one punch at Highbury rates alongside Sammy Nelsons mooning the North Bank.

10. Ozil'sCloakOfInvisibility

Ozil'sCloakOfInvisibility Not a Closet Spurs Fan

Mental that we reached the FA Cup final 3 seasons straight and lost 2 of them. And FA Cup was a massive deal back then, not like it is right now

11. Gooner416

Gooner416 Well-Known Member

So many to pick from, Birmingham still haunts me. This is bar none the worst thread of the forum, think my PTSD is kicking back up.

12. Furious

Furious Xhaka Propagandist

Other than the obvious ones, given its length, it has to be #BumeryBall after the honeymoon period was over, and he destroyed any sense of good football Wenger had taught the team.

GDeep™ and Sapient Hawk like this.
  13. Sapient Hawk

Having a good laugh at Liverpool back then was nice, but seeing them with a world class manager & a fantastic squad with the chance to win it makes me extremely bitter.

It's 15 years since we won the title & I'm starting to think we'll be the team that outstrips Liverpool in the wait for our next one.

albakos and Rex Banter like this.
  14. Rex Banter

Rex Banter Knows a guy who knows an ITK at Bristol Trusted

I wasn’t laughing at them that year, they knocked us out the CL and Peter f*cking Crouch went a long way to killing our league hopes.

albakos and Sapient Hawk like this.
  15. Sapient Hawk

Crouch seems to have it in for us, read an article the other day in the mail where he said , after watching Watford maul us, that he'd have loved to play us again. He had this sickening habit of scoring against us, no matter who he lined up for :lol:

Rex Banter likes this.
  16. rich 1990

rich 1990 Men's Rights Activist

We've got someone as old as @Slartibartfast

17. Lakersgooner24

Lakersgooner24 Well-Known Member

One I didn't see mentioned is the UEFA Cup final loss on penalties to Galatasaray. Another European disappointment for Wenger. It's incredible he didn't win a single European trophy with us.
    I remember myself thinking it was harsh on Gilberto, who many thought was the obvious choice to be promoted after serving as vice captain. In hindsight, he didn't play much that season as Flamini had a breakout year, but yea, definitely one of the more curious choices for captaincy.

Contrary to his reputation amongst Arsenal fans, I thought Gallas was a good defender for us in his first couple seasons, just should never have been handed the armband.
    Seeing United score on the Gibbs slip minutes into the match was brutal after all the prematch hype and atmosphere. However, watching United get thoroughly dismantled by that Barca side in the final made me think we dodged a bullet (although I obviously wouldn't have turned down a second finals appearance). Which is why, in hindsight, it doesn't pain me as much as others.

Rex Banter and albakos like this.
  18. BigPoppaPump

BigPoppaPump Could Never Wifey An Opp Thot

To be fair we were dismantled multiple times by that Barca team ourselves, but yeah everyone was losing to Barca that year.

19. JoaoFelix

JoaoFelix Well-Known Member

When I was little I was a bit more emotional with football. I watched UCL final, thinking we were gonna win. At the end of day, I ended up crying like a little baby. It was truly heartbreaking. The last time I felt something similar was at Euro 2016 when france lost against portugal.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2019