• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Would a further loss be more positive than negative?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AxlGunners

So, on Saturday we're entering our sixth game against one of the other big four this month and so far we've accumulated a terrific one draw and four losses. This feat also includes shipping an average of almost 3 goals a game conceded to a little over 1 goal a game scored (and let's be honest, without Arshavin's 30 minutes of wonder, it'd be a whole lot worse). It's obvious to us fans that this team lacks one or two real quality players to be up there competing seriously for accolades, however, does Wenger see this the same way?

Wengers stubbornness over purchases the past couple of seasons has hindered our competitive progress for trophies and I do fear that if on Saturday our team goes and beats Man Utd, Wenger will see further reason to stick to his youth policy. The worst outcome being of course that Diaby and Denilson have the games of their life, and Nasri plays a real solid performance as defensive midfield. I can just about hear Wenger's post-match interview ringing in my ears now: "Well, I think we showed great character and courage and have proven many of our critics wrong today. This side is still young and will come back sharper and stronger next year" *shudders*

Is anyone else just hoping that United do us all that much needed favour and give us a further spanking to show Arsène that this team cannot cut it with the other big teams? It should leave him with no logical reason other than to accept that this side falls short in many key areas. I know we don't like losing to one of our rivals but for our long-term future I'd take another heavy defeat to secure new experienced arrivals in the summer. Otherwise, who knows how long this charade will continue?

I think come Saturday, I'm going to wake up leave my Arsenal shirt in the drawer where it belongs and sit down and hope to watch 90 minutes of footballing masterclass by United. Then afterwards I'll watch them lift the Premiership trophy and not even grimace at the scene of a truly world-class side getting what they deserve. I just only hope Arsène does the same.

ultradoc

Established Member
Seriously, if anyone still needs proof that we are on a downward course ....

I'm not even sure if we can do well even with arshavin in the team.(Of course we'll do better-I mean in terms of challenging for the top.)
We just don't have the precision upfront. No intelligence, lack of decision making in passing and all...long long way to go for this team unless there are some good plaers brought in.

I surely am not hoping for a drubbing from ManU and I will always hope for a 5-0 win for Arsenal. But then...that wouldn't decieve me into thinking this arsenal team is good to win things next season.

AxlGunners

I understand we don't need any more convincing, and perhaps Wenger doesn't either but do we really want to tempt him with an excuse to continue to have belief in his current crop of players?

For me, I hope to watch a good match of football on Saturday- win, lose or draw. Either way, I'll be happy.

Biggus

Established Member
It is if you take lessons from it but Wenger doesn't seem capable- he seems utterly convinced he's on the right track.

The result against Utd doesn't matter as the result against Chel$ki didn't. We lost the league in Dec and the FA cup & CL in one week. Wenger will not worry too much about that as he has a contract until 2011. The only thing that may have influenced him was if Villa didn't collapse and we missed out on 4th, but I wouldn't have counted on it.

arsenalfc0719

Established Member
No not really, if Wenger doesn't already see the glaring problems that this team has then he's hopeless.

I'm pretty sure Man U will win anyway.

AshburtonGhost

I am almost 100% certain that we will concede 4 goals against them next week. It's clear our lot have given up and aren't worried about maintaining even a small sense of pride in the shirt they wear while Man U will want to secure their EPL title. Sad times indeed for us Gooners :(

invisibleman18

Established Member
With all this talk of 4th and the CL, we still probably won't even be in the bloody thing next season after a qualifier against Juventus or Bayern!

Perhaps that might be exactly what this club needs in order to get rid of this culture within the club that 4th is good enough however.

OneProudGooner

Established Member
If United beat Wigan (they probably will) all they need is a point, they will be up for it while we'll be playing for nothing.
I don't think Wenger can take anymore positives from the games we have left but he will take any positive he can find to to paper the cracks for this mess of a season right now..

graham_ka

Established Member
I don't care if we lose, but the players need to leave the pitch after 90 with their heads held high and with nothing left to give in those tired legs.

Biggus

Established Member
AshburtonGhost said:
I am almost 100% certain that we will concede 4 goals against them next week. It's clear our lot have given up and aren't worried about maintaining even a small sense of pride in the shirt they wear while Man U will want to secure their EPL title. Sad times indeed for us Gooners :(

Sad 2
Sad 2 b
Sad 2 b a Goonah

Biggus

Established Member
If our players have any self respect left they will make a game of it. I have been impressed the way Gibbs, Bendtner and yes even Eboue have responded to recent adversity.

AshburtonGhost

I thought they'd make a game of it and try to respond against Chelsea, that would have been the professional thing to do. I think many of them have decided to sulk and limp through the last couple of games, which IMO is unacceptable as they are tarnishing the reputation of the club in spite of there being nothing to play for. This current sulk makes the post-unbeaten run sulk of the Invincibles look like the ultimate in joviality!

progman07

Established Member
We should win 5-4, with Arshavin scoring 5 solo goals. We win, but Wenger can't boast with the "amazing mental strength" and "the youth and potential". Moreover, it'd show how an already world class player lifts the team.

Biggus

Established Member
AshburtonGhost said:
I thought they'd make a game of it and try to respond against Chelsea, that would have been the professional thing to do. I think many of them have decided to sulk and limp through the last couple of games, which IMO is unacceptable as they are tarnishing the reputation of the club in spite of there being nothing to play for. This current sulk makes the post-unbeaten run sulk of the Invincibles look like the ultimate in joviality!

I think they're just a bunch of whipped and beaten curs, a defeated rabble with no leader. Everyone of them should be playing their their guts out to prove they're still worthy of the shirt, and our loyalty - not safe and snug and secure as Wenger's chosen few they won't be killed.

Zico

Established Member
Goodness. If United win the title by putting 4 past us, I'll recover the sense of feeling I lost yesterday. United will want to wrap up the league well in advance of meeting Barcelona. I can see moody Ronnie and feisty Tevez killing us. I've said for the past year and even during the 'streak'. This is a gutless team, and they've shown no ability to respond to setbacks. The only player who has remotely looked like he has fight is, surprisingly, the oft-maligned Samir Nasri. Another loss might kill the spirits of young men like Walcott.

Losses are not good, but you always wonder if Wenger needs just one more big loss to realize how bad the team is. Of course, though, if the team does indeed lose it is probably bad and Wenger should realize regardless. As someone said, if he hasn't noticed his team is bad by now, Wenger will never get it.

Biggus

Established Member
No he'll never get it Quince. At one point I really thought Chel$ki would put 5/6 past us, when we were attacking and missing chance after chance I didn't worry I already knew what would happen, anyone who has watched every game these last 3 years knew, and do you know what I felt? Nothing- I felt no sorrow or sadness or pain because I feel nothing for this team- they don't deserve our pity.

Zico

Established Member
But Biggus, I thought we lost all these big games because of our injuries and bad luck; not because of some inherent fault in the team.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom