• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Would Anyone be happy with Lehman for another year?

JoseReyes29

I personally would. And this is because i dont think there are any other keepers out there who are available and better then lehman.

You may say people like cudicini and given and hilderbrandt, but in my eyes they are no better then lehman.

asajoseph

Established Member
If Cudicini, Given and Hildebrand are no better than Lehmann in your eyes, then they definitely need testing. Lehmann is NOT as bad as people make out, but he is certainly not the solid, dependable keeper that a top team needs between the sticks.

He's done ok in the last few games, but we now have money, and the opportunity to sign a player in a position of relative weakness for us. Let's not waste it.

DOls

To answer your question: yes, I would be happy. Changing goalkeepers as often as the kit is very unsettling for the team. Lehmann's contract expires in 2006 and he said he wants to stay at least until then. Good for us. :wink:

asajoseph

Established Member
Upon reflection, if we simply can't find a goalkeeper to replace Lehmann, which is entirely possible, I don't think it'd be a disaster if he was keeper for another season, provided we significantly strengthen our back 4 with another top CB. Our defence has been shoddy all season, and needs new faces. It wouldn't be ideal, but it would be passable.

I really think though that we need to move up a gear to be competitive domestically in Europe and at home, and I think that if we could get a top keeper, like Hildebrand for example, it'd be one are of the team where we can gain a significant edge over what we currently have.

one of the thing i regret last summer, we didn't snap paul robinson from leeds (this dude is rock)
i dont know about lehmann, he made so many mistakes that experienced keeper should not make that many...

Sith_Gooner

asajoseph said:
If Cudicini, Given and Hildebrand are no better than Lehmann in your eyes, then they definitely need testing. Lehmann is NOT as bad as people make out, but he is certainly not the solid, dependable keeper that a top team needs between the sticks.

He's done ok in the last few games, but we now have money, and the opportunity to sign a player in a position of relative weakness for us. Let's not waste it.

Think im gonna have to agree with u there asajoseph, he's not the worse gk in the world, but how many times have our defenders avoided passing back to him and putting pressure on us by clearing for a throw-in. O have seen this on a few occasions

Sammer

Established Member
Two options for me:

1. a superb goalkeeper on highest level in his mid twenties, who is clearly superior to Jens, becomes available in the summer....whoever that may be.

2. stick with Jens if he keeps on performing well (and let´s not panic, once he makes a mistakes if the ratio is allright) and bring in a young talent to compete with Jens.

Now as possibility no1 is not easy - as the names are limited (with the risk, that the so-called top keeper turns out to be ordinary) - Wenger probably will look at Jens until the end of the season.

Mark

Established Member
I would not be happy with him for another year. The defence don't trust him, it's as simple as that. Don't be fooled by the fact that he saved some shots yesterday.

JazzG

Established Member
Sammer said:
1. a superb goalkeeper on highest level in his mid twenties, who is clearly superior to Jens, becomes available in the summer....whoever that may be.

Obviously most would prefer that but it is clear that it won't be likely. There is just such a lack of top goalkeepers around, any good keepers are already signed upto to the top clubs which makes it very hard for us. If one does become available we gotta do what Chelsea did with Cech, get the deal done before the transfer window opens and then when it does finalise it. At the time I was but now I'm not suprised they did that because they sure didn't want to get into a battle with other clubs for a player.

Gunner4life09

The anwer is NO, Lehman is an average goalkeeper and really not as bad as what people take him to be but at the level that arsenal play at his blunders just cost us too much. What arsenal need is someone solid and consistant, someone young or not too old . . . Frey, Hiiderbrand, Cudicni . . .

asajoseph

Established Member
DO people REALLY think that Chelsea would sell Cudicini to us at a reasonable price? Or all the keepers linked with us this year, I think he's the least likely.

Sith_Gooner

asajoseph said:
DO people REALLY think that Chelsea would sell Cudicini to us at a reasonable price? Or all the keepers linked with us this year, I think he's the least likely.

I had heard from a friend who knows someone "in" at chelsea , and he said that they get Cole for £22m and Cudicini. Cant give you any validity to this claim, but I think it wouldn't be a bad deal, might be worth a post
:D

asajoseph

Established Member
I think the only way we'd get hold of him would be in such a deal, involving Ashley Cole.

I'm still not sure about the wisdom of selling such a player to your biggest rivals, but that's a lot of money in return.

lee1001

Established Member
Sith_Gooner said:
asajoseph said:

I had heard from a friend who knows someone "in" at chelsea , and he said that they get Cole for £22m and Cudicini. Cant give you any validity to this claim, but I think it wouldn't be a bad deal, might be worth a post
:D

If Cole wants to leave then i suggest we start the negotiations now because that would be a fantastic bit of business.

Even if you insider is speaking bollocks im sure Chelsea would give us Cudicini + 22 million for Cole (If he wants to leave and only IF)

Lukazan

Established Member
I'll be looking for the reactions of those that say 'yes' next time Lehmann makes a game costing error...

Gazza Martinez

Established Member
Ideally I'd want a new, young keeper that is better than Jens. But I could tolerate one more season with him I suppose.

patrick42uk

Established Member
LuKaZaN said:
I'll be looking for the reactions of those that say 'yes' next time Lehmann makes a game costing error...

agreed. he's had this little quiet period now (well since his clanger at southampton that cost us 3 points) but theres bound to be at least one or two more before the season ends. i said last season that wenger could regret sticking with lehmann as number and i'm still of that opinion.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom