• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Would Arsenal be better off in Spanish League?

True Gooner

Established Member
Re: Would Arsenal be better of in Spanish League?

Biggus said:
True Gooner said:
Anyway, I agree with Stevo just because we pass the ball around doesn't make us a Spanish team and our present style of play is more than capable of achieving success here. Once we sign a proper goalkeeper...
Err can you give us an example of this "success" :?

No, because we've both expressed our views previously and the argument goes down the usual route. Suffice to say I think our problems at the moment is more to do with the players we have in certain positions rather than our style of play.

Furthermore, I think the football we play now is different to what we've played over the past four years and the season isn't over.

Del Boy

Established Member

Certainly our style would be more suited to a less physical league such as La Liga. I don't see any team there that would pose us much of a threat bar Barcelona.

Depends on the player as well. Guys like Reyes and Denilson are in heaven in La Liga where there is little physical contact. They can't hack it in the PL.

Biggus

Established Member

True Gooner said:
Furthermore, I think the football we play now is different to what we've played over the past four years and the season isn't over.
Our formation is different and the players have more propensity to shoot from distance but the style is the same.
More direct and aggressive players would somehow mitigate it, and that for me would be an improvement.

True Gooner

Established Member

Biggus said:
True Gooner said:
Our formation is different and the players have more propensity to shoot from distance but the style is the same.
More direct and aggressive players would somehow mitigate it, and that for me would be an improvement.

I think we've been far more direct this season - or at least when we have a recognised centre forward which goes to my point about not having the right players. I also think we've shown our ability to counter attack for the first time in about three years.

Take your point about aggression - I don't understand why we don't close down players more while still maintaining an attacking game.

But despite that our game has evolved greatly from Dribbly McNoscore pass-in-front-of-the-defence football to a style that I think could result in success.

Swish

Established Member

Would Arsenal be better off being a competitor at the 2012 Olympics in the Freestyle Ping Pong event?

I think everyone has already expressed their views on this topic HG, it's never gonna happen and it's a pointless, irrelevant discussion because of it fella.

Mark

Established Member

Why is everyone saying this is a pointless discussion? This is a forum and anything we say is pretty pointless. You could equally say why bother posting your lineups before games because we'll never influence Wenger's decision.

I've often wondered what it would be like if just one team switched league for a season or something. How would Barca, Real and Inter do in the Premiership? So hard to tell.

We'd obviously be better in Spain or Italy. Our technical players would have more freedom to express themselves. The likes of Hleb, Reyes and Rosicky would've looked twice as good in La Liga.

qs

Established Member

Football is football, you are either good enough or not. If we won the Spanish league it'd be because its weaker than the Premiership, simple as that.

AnthonyG

Arse Emeritus

It is pointless because it doesn't have a 'point' - there can be no discussion on that.

So what is it?

- transplant the team?
- ship out Wenger?
- that our style isn't suited to the EPL?
- our style is best suited to La Liga?
- our players aren't suited to the EPL?
- our players are better suited to La Liga?
- La Liga and Barca are the 'answers' to every thing?

This is just because of Ramsey. It will, of course, descend, as it probably should given the ambiguity here, to a mish-mash of all the above with a sprinkling of Wenger-bashing for good measure.

Sounds fun, discuss away.

dbig

On the surface, I think we would benefit from protection that the referees there offer, and there isn't that much emphasis on defending as well.

But our team's also a little naive. As it is, I think we're already pretty low on the play acting scale in England. We'd have to step it up a few notches to compete there.

hujja

Established Member

What an embarrassing thread. It makes us look like even bigger 'whining softies'.

Anzac

Established Member
We'd be better off getting some steel into our midfield & defence, AND getting our patterns right.

Possession passing is not new to top flight football in England, however ALL the teams/managers that have employed the style with success in the top flight have done so by combining the continental patience with the British power & pace.

The possession passing game is the foundation of the 'boot boy' era at LFC & the greatest period of dominance by a single club in England. They certainly had steel in their defence, but more importantly they passed the ball quickly out of their half so as to not allow the opposition to get behind the ball. We lack in both these areas. Yes defences are set deeper in the modern game, but we are still too slow to transition the ball into the opposition half & we are most times ahead of the ball & our forward play becomes static.

graham_ka

Established Member
I have contemplated this before, but as a few have mentioned before me, we are close to dominating the English League. Barring Chelsea and Man United at home and Sundy away, we haven't been outplayed all season. Every other game we have played well enough to win.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom