• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Would Ian Wright get into today's Arsenal side?

Captain

Established Member
First of all, sorry for asking if you were taking the piss, just read it back to myself and realised how rude it sounded.

Bobby Charlton and Cliff Bastin were midfielders.

Players more/equal skillful then Le tiss:

Beardsley, Hoddle, Waddle, McManaman and probably a few more I can't remember. Depends what you consider 'skillful' to be really but I'm assuming that we are talking about ball manipulation.

Alfonso

Established Member
no worries.I always thought Bobby Charlton was a striker ala Rooney. Wow, 49 goals for England from midfield is v.impressive, albeit in a different era.

The thing about Le Tiss that seprated from those players you mentioned is that he played for a small club like Southampton so he had to do everything himself, whereas those players had great players around them. Therefore, Le Tiss edges it for me. Also, if you saw some of his goals from 93/94 season you would think you were watching Bergkamp.

Jkreffer

Established Member
Alfonso said:
no worries.I always thought Bobby Charlton was a striker ala Rooney. Wow, 49 goals for England from midfield is v.impressive, albeit in a different era.

The thing about Le Tiss that seprated from those players you mentioned is that he played for a small club like Southampton so he had to do everything himself, whereas those players had great players around them. Therefore, Le Tiss edges it for me. Also, if you saw some of his goals from 93/94 season you would think you were watching Bergkamp.

Thats the weird thing about LeTiss though. When he was surrounded by better players he didn't look quite so good. Probably because the level was higher, but I always thought he liked being the big fish in a little pond. This isn't to doubt his credentials as a fantastic footballer, but I do find it staggering that he didn't quite cut it on the International scene.

Captain

Established Member
But at the same time, LeTiss at southampton could do what he wanted when he wanted. he didn't have to fit in a team structure, make a tackle or generally be involved in anything other then his one man show.

He just had to stand around in the final third and do something when he got the ball (which to be fair he usually did).

Never tested himself somewhere less comfortable for him which is why he won't ever be considered a great of the game.

Jkreffer

Established Member
I did always wonder why he didn't get snapped up by a larger club. I suppose its where you feel most comfortable, and Southampton certainly gave him that.

Captain

Established Member
I think ManU bid for him twice and he turned them down both times.

I suppose if he was enjoying himself and earning a decent wage he prefered the simpler option.

>YounGunner<

Established Member
I Read the first page only and i can say that this thread is a joke. Alfonso have you ever seen Wright play in your life?

Techniqually not good enough? :lol:

Adebayor has a better touch? :lol:

Ian Wright was a class act and was more then just a fox in the box, he had pace, technique, the finish, the touch and he did score some of the best goals i have seen.
I can go on about him for ages but i guess most of the real Arsenal fans already know.

Ricky_AFC

Wright IMO would get into the team without a doubt. He would have no problem with the technical side of our play, he had a great touch, good technique, pace, and top top finishing. If RvP can get into our team then Wrighty could, thats no knock on RvP but in his prime Wright was excellent and not just the finisher of simple goals.

In our current squad with Henry next to him, Rosicky, Hleb and Cesc feeding balls into him Wrighty would score for fun (even more than he used to.)

Tony Montana

Established Member
Alfonso said:
I can name you 20 strikers that have been and are better than Wright.

No way is Wright in the top 5-10 best strikers of all time. That is an insult to all legendary strikers.

I dont even think Wright is in the top 5-10 English strikers of all time.

Well saying Adebayor has a better touch than Ian is an insult to Wrighty in my opinion.

Alfonso said:
Basically would a rich man's Andy Johnson get into the side? Cos thats what i feel Wright was.

Also, how would he play in the tough champions league matches, e.g Juve enough. Is he cultured enough as a striker to do well for such a cultured Arsenal side?

I dont think his first touch is as good as those of RvP or Ade either.

Ridiculous post. A rich man's Andy Johnson? :lol:

Is RVP a poor man's Dennid Bergkamp?

goonerwarsh

Established Member
I think it's a little bit insulting to Wrighty too. He was raw talent who had a natural abilty to score all sorts of goals both in Europe and at home. He was also a late starter in the professional game aswell I believe.

RockyRocastle

Established Member
Alfonso said:
Captain said:
who are the top 5-10 english strikers?

Jimmy Greaves, Bobby Charlton, Gary Linekar, Alan Shearer, Micheal Owen, Robbie Fowler,Geoff Hurst, Malcom McDonald,Cliff Bastin, Micheal Ricketts.

People like Mortensen, Lofthouse, Lawton, Dixie Dean, Haynes, keegan, Hunt etc would all have to be up there aswell.

As good as Wrighty was, I dont think even he would claim to be in the top 10.

clockwork orange

Blind faith in "LVG filoshophy"
goonerwarsh said:
If only for that perm!
:)

It's a hard life for footballers, you only have a few years of fame, but unfortunately for you, those were the years with the worst hair-fashion in recorded history. If Kevin wasn't a fashion-victim, I don't know who was...

Timleaf

Established Member
Wrighty would get in to the current Arsenal team. With the ammount of attacking talent we have he'd score a huge ammount of goals.

What you have to remember about Wright is that he played in an Arsenal side that required him to play in a certain way. I've no doubts that he'd have the ability to adapt other parts of his game if he was playing now.

BTW a rich man's Andy Johnson!? Puh-lease. :p

goonerwarsh

Established Member
leonardo santiago said:
goonerwarsh said:
If only for that perm!
:)

It's a hard life for footballers, you only have a few years of fame, but unfortunately for you, those were the years with the worst hair-fashion in recorded history. If Kevin wasn't a fashion-victim, I don't know who was...

Chris Waddles mullet was quite a shocker, almost as bad as that song he released with Glenn Hoddle. Proof if you ever needed it that footballers should stick to football.

Does anyone remember Wrighty's song 'Do The Wright Thing?' :)

Kilgallon

Of course Wright would get into the current Arsenal team...he was MILES better than Adebayor and I dont see why van Persie would get in the team ahead of him.

Henry would probably enjoy Wright making runs off him, pulling defenders away and creating space for him...

Alfonso said:
Basically would a rich man's Andy Johnson get into the side? Cos thats what i feel Wright was.

Also, how would he play in the tough champions league matches, e.g Juve enough. Is he cultured enough as a striker to do well for such a cultured Arsenal side?

I dont think his first touch is as good as those of RvP or Ade either.

How can you compare them two with Wright.

Biggus

Established Member
I'm coming to this thread late so I apologise if I'm repeating what someone else has said........No I don't believe he would.....Arsène demands all his players a level of all round technique that goes to make what we call Wengerball.....Look at the ideal Wenger forward : Anelka-Bergkamp-Henry.
Wrighty worked well in our ultra pragmatic GG lineout where he was almost our solitary threat, but modern football demands a different approach.

Top Bottom