• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Would Ian Wright get into today's Arsenal side?

Mark

Established Member
Wright was at his best when the team revolved around him. He didn't offer enough to the overall team display, even though he was a goal machine. He was great in his day, but under Wenger it was time for something different, which is why even though he came back from injury towards the end of the 97/98 season, he couldn't get Anelka, or even Wreh out of the side. He would be a great squad player now, as he would offer goals from the bench, but I don't think he would have enough to be a starter these days.

RocktheCasbah

Established Member
.Only thing wrong with that analysis, Mark, is that Wrighty was 35 by that time.

I agree there were issues about the revolving around him, but I bet if you asked Ian whether he preferred being the focal point of the 92-95 Arsenal team that featured such Arsenal legends as Hillier, Selley and McGoldrick in midfield, or the team which scored 92 goals in 1992 he'd easily go for the latter. George Graham made the Arsenal midfield into a functional unit over reliant on Wright, true, but that doesn't mean Ian wouldn't have scored goals in a team that wasn't built around him.

Alfonso

Established Member
I think recent displays have answeared my question in this thread. Would Ian Wright get into today's Arsenal side? Yes. Im sure if he was playing against CSKA last night(even today at 43 he would have scored!) it would have been a different story.

Talk sport is currently discussing whether or not we need a "fox in the box".

Do you think we need one? Someone like Wright?

Gurgen

Established Member
Had Ian Wright played yesterday he would probably have scored about four goals (unless Wenger would decide to play him on the left of a 4-5-1 of course). Would he get into our side? Hell yes he would.

Biggus

Established Member
Alfonso said:
I think recent displays have answeared my question in this thread. Would Ian Wright get into today's Arsenal side? Yes. Im sure if he was playing against CSKA last night(even today at 43 he would have scored!) it would have been a different story.

Talk sport is currently discussing whether or not we need a "fox in the box".

Do you think we need one? Someone like Wright?

But we've been through this before......and we ended up with a pox in the box.
It wouldn't have taken a killer striker to finish those chances we created against CSKA.....You- me or anyone could have done it if we had the chance. No we still have have a young team finding their feet, and as for Thierry....as he says it was one of those days. :(

gunnertilldeath

Established Member
andyswafc said:
Last night, I think Nigel winterburn could of started upfront and been a success.

At least Nigel had some scorchers in his day. try Bob Wilson, in his current gracefully ageing rotund incarnation. he would have scored yesterday.

Aussie

Established Member
Ian Wright would get into the current Arsenal team more often that not. Some people seem to forget how good he was and also seem to be a little wrong about how amazing this current Arsenal side is.

Id put him in for his goal celebrations alone. Least the man was a character!

celestis

Arsenal-Mania Veteran

Biggus said:
qs said:
Andy Johnson could probably get into our side.

:lol: Good one qs......

Of course wrighty could get into this side. He has got that same ' right I am going to sort you out ' attitude that is really valuable .

As for AJ , no lesser than AW himself reckons he could. (considered buying him). According to Wenger he is perfect for the lone striker positions

bojed

AM Resident Joker #1
yes, of course...

Arsène once said that he thinks ian wright is the perfect mould for a striker and his finishing is the most clinical he has ever seen (Arsène said this in one of arsenal.com interview but i'm just too lazy to dig and provide the link)

Biggus

Established Member
celestis said:
Biggus said:
qs said:
Andy Johnson could probably get into our side.

:lol: Good one qs......

Of course wrighty could get into this side. He has got that same ' right I am going to sort you out ' attitude that is really valuable .

As for AJ , no lesser than AW himself reckons he could. (considered buying him). According to Wenger he is perfect for the lone striker positions

Arsène is a gentleman and says a lot of nice things about a lot of players....(except RvN tee hee) As I have said before, he only has to stop and say nice doggie for the media to go into megadrive with "Spot to add bite to Gunners?" stories.
Hmmm come to think of it maybe thats what we need upfront....someone who will chase the ball around all day...forget fox in the box we need a Spot with a shot..... :?

marco

having seen wednesday night im sure wrighty would get in this team!

having said that he would probably have wanted to move to chelsea given the career advice he gave to shaun wright phillips a couple of season back

zerofeel

Most definetely.We need a striker with an eye for a goal,a goal poacher a lethal finisher at the moment.Reckon the new formation 4-1-4-1 doesnt suit Henry at all because he hardly tracks back and does not hold up the ball as well as Ade did when we played Manure.

We will have to revert back to the old 4-4-2 formation to see Henry getting back to his best.

Wembley79

I can't believe we are even having this discussion. Henry is the only player to come close to Wrightys goalscoring rate for Arsenal. Wrighty was a phenomenon in my opinion. The guy had it all, in his prime. At his best, Arsène would have had to decide whether to play Wrighty or Titi

By the way, nobody mentiond Ted Drake in the list of English strikers (6 goals in 5 caps) 8)

Gort

Wright is a legend for me: he's my favourite player of all time (sorry, Paul Davis avatar ;) ). I can get where the original poster is coming from, but even despite the supposed lackings that Ian Wright may have suffered from, his goalscoring rate and the fear he presented to defences would far outweigh them. I'd ensure to make room for both Henry and Wright in my Arsenal team.

GlasGreenGunner

Ian Wright - exactly the type of player we need at this moment.
An out and out goalscorer and bloody good at it too, aggressive and shows a bit of passion into the bargain.

Tony Montana

Established Member
GlasGreenGunner said:
Ian Wright - exactly the type of player we need at this moment.
An out and out goalscorer and bloody good at it too, aggressive and shows a bit of passion into the bargain.

How are Celtic doing? I can't wait til you play Manure. It will be a good ol' British cracker.

Top Bottom