• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Would it be so bad

Viking

sabret00the said:
Because in the games i've seen him. he's been more effective over 90 minutes than Nasri has on the wing. There's too much emphasis on his size and his defensive duties. People act like we mount attacks for fun, when in reality, if we could attack effectively, there'd be a whole lot less pressure on the defence.

In the FA Youth Cup and Carling Cup. You're right that attack is a great defense, but Wilshere wouldn't contribute to that. At all.

truth_hurts

but Holding’s hair transplant was painless
Yes because none of the strikers listed have Ade' pressence. neither are anywhere as good at playing the lone striker role and none have had a scoring season like Ade 2007 - 2008. I think we would be putting an awful lot of pressure on RVP to perform and score, we would be taking a huge risk on Eduardos fitness and placing a huge amount of pressure on Nik and Vela. Our strike department is arguably our strongest so why weaken it? If we did sell Adebayor we would need to either replace him with a sytriker of similar attributes or replace him with a guarenteed quality striker.

HollandGooner

Established Member

Player:Ødegaard
truth_hurts said:
Yes because none of the strikers listed have Ade' pressence. neither are anywhere as good at playing the lone striker role and none have had a scoring season like Ade 2007 - 2008. I think we would be putting an awful lot of pressure on RVP to perform and score, we would be taking a huge risk on Eduardos fitness and placing a huge amount of pressure on Nik and Vela. Our strike department is arguably our strongest so why weaken it? If we did sell Adebayor we would need to either replace him with a sytriker of similar attributes or replace him with a guarenteed quality striker.

Amen. :wink:

RocktheCasbah

Established Member
I agree with your first post sabre.

But did you really say you prefer Wilshere to Nasri?

As far as needing to keep Ade to play the lone striker role, Eduardo made a better job of 5 minutes doing it against Manyoo that Ade did in 175...

Anzac

Established Member
RocktheCasbah said:
Yeah, it's not like we'd miss that particular ploy (feel dirty now for agreeing with you)

lol - just as well I don't take it personally..............whether it's intended or not.......... :wink:

Anzac

Established Member
RocktheCasbah said:
No, that'll never happen. Not unless Wenger takes us down, anyway..

That won't happen - he'd walk or get the boot before we got that far......

still doesn't change my original post however........want to re-think your response?

sabret00the

Established Member
RocktheCasbah said:

I know it's weird and it's the typical type of statement/idea/sentiment that undermines so many posters on this forum. But I look at what Wilshere does and attempts to do and what he attempts to achieve and then compare it with Nasri and there's a clear different. With Wilshere, you either feel like he couldn't get in the game or finished the game and left you feeling proud. Not just because he's come through the system but because he ghosted players and played some superb balls with out palm prints on his back. With Nasri, i consistently see a player who often takes the easy way out, refuses to take on the most mundane of premiership players and just doesn't have the end product.

I'll admit that statistically he could've had a far worse debut premiership season. but aesthetically he's just so underwhelming. I know that i'm a spoilt brat, I'd have to be if i want my attacks to look good as well as be effective, but... i've accepted, this is me! i really have no respect for the players that simply lay off the ball to the full back, for the full back to beat the opposition winger and full back and then whip it in. especially when said players aren't even busting a gut to get into the box.

truth_hurts

but Holding’s hair transplant was painless
sabret00the said:
RocktheCasbah said:

I know it's weird and it's the typical type of statement/idea/sentiment that undermines so many posters on this forum. But I look at what Wilshere does and attempts to do and what he attempts to achieve and then compare it with Nasri and there's a clear different. With Wilshere, you either feel like he couldn't get in the game or finished the game and left you feeling proud. Not just because he's come through the system but because he ghosted players and played some superb balls with out palm prints on his back. With Nasri, i consistently see a player who often takes the easy way out, refuses to take on the most mundane of premiership players and just doesn't have the end product.

I'll admit that statistically he could've had a far worse debut premiership season. but aesthetically he's just so underwhelming. I know that i'm a spoilt brat, I'd have to be if i want my attacks to look good as well as be effective, but... i've accepted, this is me! i really have no respect for the players that simply lay off the ball to the full back, for the full back to beat the opposition winger and full back and then whip it in. especially when said players aren't even busting a gut to get into the box.

Nasri was definately playing well within himself last year and although improvements were seen in his all round game (workrate, tracking back, keeping possesion, tackling), the bread and butter of his game dribbling and getting in dangerous positions seemed to disappear. Towards the end of the season however flashes of the old Nasri did reappear. I hope he is much more ambitious in his play this coming season as he did a steady job last year when in reality he should be one of our potential match winners. Wilshere is a bit part player for now and I think its fair to say with a sustained run in the team his style would change. Even Christiano Ronaldo last season often just ran to the byline and crossed the ball in, he was dribbling past players far less frequently than in previous seasons.

sabret00the

Established Member
Last year CRonaldo lacked motivation. Fergie's answer to that was to move him central in order to force him to commit to the side and beating players. A better argument would've been van Persie, and we all pretty much think that Robin is broken.

Flashes of the old Nasri? What old Nasri, he's not taken on a player in an Arsenal shirt yet. And as the season went on, the less we saw of him on the wing.

Your fundamental argument seems flawed, you seem to be essentially saying that when players step up to the stage, beating players generally disappears from their game and most players who may have been renowned for that as youngsters opt to switch their game to a more pass/cross orientated one? While that's not completely, there are players that have the courage and commitment to their game to continue doing this and those players are always talked about when you query who's the best in the world right now. Nasri will never be named in that conversation.

I think the fact that Nasri has removed all of the dribbling from his game to such an extent that everyone talks about him as a DMC not even a B2B :lol: including the manager, only goes to show the level of failure that his acquisition was (once spun as a Hleb replacement) and only underlines how much we're still short a quality winger at this club.

Latest posts

Top Bottom