• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Would Love to Hear Our Young English Kids Say This:

Ziontrain

Simple concept: respect your trade and learn from those above you instead of bellaching about not playing!!

Clichy extended his contract until 2010 during the summer and is more than happy with the way his Arsenal career is developing.

Speaking recently, the France Under 21 international said: "I believe we could go far this season, and want to help the team do it. If I was to play on the left side, right side or wherever, I will do it properly.

"I'm not playing often, but I learn a lot from Ashley and Lauren as well. I want to play more but I think patience is a big word for me.

"I know I'm going to get my chance one day, if it is not this season, then may be next season, or two years later, you never know.

"I am really happy and am just waiting."

gun4glory

seriously, they are quite cocky...
like bently thinking he can take ljugbergs spot.... three words -- KISS MY ASS!!
but clichy is our best young player (non-first team) and if we didnt have cole would be an automatic starter... at least hes patient...
people say we dont like english players... its not that, its that they leave us...
look at our foreign youngsters (fabregas, reyes, qunicy, clichy...) alll more than happy to wait for their spot and ALL signed new long term contracts this summer... what do our english players have to say...."i wanna go"...
tbh bently is nowhere near ljungberg(who also signed on this summer) yet...

chachacallis

I think being at home for the english players make them think that they are extra special or something, also i guess the hype gets to there head. ;D

kamikaze80

Established Member
to be fair to the english players who've left, i think part of the reason is that they know they are not good enough to make it here. bentley and pennant always had an uphill battle to earn a first team spot with the attacking talent that we have. clichy, on the other hand, actually has enough potential to start for arsenal, and he knows he's not far off.

also, for the record, i think pennant is easily better than bentley, tho he was too much of a traditional crossing winger (and habitual drunkard) to ever fit into our system.

Biggus

Established Member
chachacallis said:
I think being at home for the english players make them think that they are extra special or something, also i guess the hype gets to there head. ;D

Thats right- its only the very commited that leave home in search of their dream...the other ones stay at home sit on their arses and complain that nothing is getting handed to them.

Lord Dula

Established Member
It's a bit unfair though to tar all young English lads with the same brush - don't forget players like Scholes, Gerrard, Terry, Owen, and even Beckham, never took things for granted at a tender age.

sabret00the

Established Member
he's monitoring the cole situation, if cole stays i'd put a grandparent on clichy to leave, however i just hope we get maximum mullah from the deal.

Robno.7

Clichy could walk into most EPL first teams, its just that we have a world class one ahead of him, he should get his chance to impress again what with cole out for six weeks iirc

invisibleman18

Established Member
can someone please post a bentley quote where he said "i expected to take ljungberg's spot immediately"
what he wanted was at least a chance to show if he was or wasnt up to it, at least the odd 15-20 min sub appearance at first. and perhaps not even including him on the bench for the community shield game showed him he was not going to get even that chance.
and to be honest, while the likes of flamini have peformed admirably for us, i cant see what they have done to suggest they are so much better than bentley that they get so many more chances. (that is no flamini bashing, simply my opinion that bentley is no worse a player, but thats only me obviously)

dont get me wrong, i like flamini, good work rate, decent player, its just my opinion that if he is up to it, if he is arsenal quality then i cant see why bentley isnt.

Ziontrain

You dont hear Clichy whinging about playing time - so why should Bentley? I mean he's a guy who was not able to distinguish himslef at norwich for crissakes. talent may be there potentially, but Cleary he wasnt using it to the best of his ability. Otherwise he should have been a superstar at Norwich and clubs should have been queing up for him.

As for Pennant, I beg to differ, he IS good enough to play here. However he clearly was a bad penny off the field and even on the field he was not really showing that he was the type of person to listen and learn their either. Some players just want to ride what God gave them. Others like Henry or Bergkamp actually put in hard work and add to that. Pennant was not looking like one of those.

Anyway I see some positve ones in the reserves, guys like Garry, Hoyte (now at Sunderland on loan), Kerrea Gilbert, Connolly, Stokes who seem like serious professionals, not kids intoxicated with image and money.

I bet you Hoyte in particular comes back in January and is in far more demand fthan Bentley ever was. Hopefully we'll keep him though. IMO he's gonna be a international class player for sure. Not flashy but a steady developer.

invisibleman18

Established Member
i agree with most of your post Ziontrain, yet you still fail to answer my question. can you post a quote where bentley said "i expect to get playing time" or a quote where he was whinging about "lack of playing time"
all he expected was to be at least given a chance, perhaps at least put on the bench. perfectly reasonable i would have thought. while going on loan is a good way to get experience, i dont think its unreasonable to expect to at least be given the odd chance when you come back. arsenal did not indicate they wanted to sell him, which probably gave him the impression they wanted to keep him. when it was indicated he was not going to be given any chances at all (eg, by not even being on the bench in the CS game) he had conflicting views.

im not saying he should expect game time, but IMO its not unreasonable to expect to be at least given the chance to fail. and i think thats what he wanted, the odd chance to try and earn a place, not an immediate first choice place in the team.

RocktheCasbah

Established Member
Patience, maybe Bentley has yet to realise the value of it. I think Clichy's attitude is fantastic, but then he doesn't have the british media hyping him whatever he does. The attitude questiuon is why I think Justin Hoyte does have a chance at Arsenal, I think Wenger rates him and also appreciates his attitude, he hasn't complained or moaned, he just gets on with the job.

Wenger14

Established Member
I think Sabre made the most sense, he may be buying his time and getting in our good books just incase Cole leaves. If cole signs a long term deal, it'll be hard for us to expect Clichy to stay, at least from a long term view.

Biggus

Established Member
RocktheCasbah said:
Patience, maybe Bentley has yet to realise the value of it. I think Clichy's attitude is fantastic, but then he doesn't have the british media hyping him whatever he does. The attitude questiuon is why I think Justin Hoyte does have a chance at Arsenal, I think Wenger rates him and also appreciates his attitude, he hasn't complained or moaned, he just gets on with the job.

Thats a good point about the British media Rock.....they usually ignore foreign youngsters in favour of bigging up the British ones...only to quickly to savage them if they make a mistake.....its all good fun and it sells.

qs

Established Member
sabret00the said:
he's monitoring the cole situation, if cole stays i'd put a grandparent on clichy to leave, however i just hope we get maximum mullah from the deal.

Yes but he obviously has the sense to realise Cole wont be here forever. Bentley shouldve seen Pires is close to the end and if he wanted to take that position he couldve waited. Now he's unlikely to ever manage to get a first team place i a top 4 side which means he'll probably never get a real chance for England.

sabret00the

Established Member
qs said:
sabret00the said:

Yes but he obviously has the sense to realise Cole wont be here forever. Bentley shouldve seen Pires is close to the end and if he wanted to take that position he couldve waited. Now he's unlikely to ever manage to get a first team place i a top 4 side which means he'll probably never get a real chance for England.
Bentley was at the club longer than Clichy and saw less bench time let alone playing time, i think he's allowed to feel his road is a little off, Clichy is waiting to see if Cole goes in the summer. it's that simple, no "Cole won't be here forever" it's a i'll wait a season and iif nothing happens then, then i'll be off. it's alot easier to make favourable statements when you're in Clichy's position as opposed to Bentley's.

qs

Established Member
sabret00the, if that was the case he wouldnt have signed such a long term contract.

sabret00the

Established Member
qs said:
sabret00the, if that was the case he wouldnt have signed such a long term contract.
how not? he's doing all the right things to show the manager that he's worthy of being the first choice, he's signed a long-term contract (something that cole hasn't) and he's saying the right things in the press (something that cole hasn't). he's just playing his cards right, everyone knows that the longer you go without first class games the worst you get as a player and we all know left back isn't something you rotate especially when they're playing as well as Cole and the situation is as volitile as Cole's. even with his huge contract we would be lucky to get £5m for him.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom