• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Would we have dropped off so much with Wenger?

Would we have dropped off so much with Wenger?

• Better with Wenger

Votes: 58 85.3%
  • The same

Votes: 9 13.2%
  • Even worse

Votes: 1 1.5%

• Total voters

2Smokeyy

5.0 ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ (49)
Trusted ⭐

I will say he was good with Mertesacker babysitting him but in any other CB pairing he was pants.

Remember the Koscielny and Mustafi partnership? Absolute joke.

That goal pretty much sums it up with Koscielny kicking the ball into his own face and Mustafi slipping.

novar

:lol::lol: Imagine thinking Mertesacker was the one babysitting

Mertesacker was Xhaka before Xhaka

Heskey

🌑 🌘🌗🌖🌕🌔🌓🌒
Trusted ⭐
I will say he was good with Mertesacker babysitting him but in any other CB pairing he was pants.

I was going to say that there'd probably be some ready to say that Koscielny was the one making Mertesacker look good and then you best me and give that standpoint. :lol:

I'd say that neither where perfect, but had a really good partnership because they were so diverse. Two Mertesackers is one too many. Two Koscielnys is one too many as well. (A big reason why I think Mustafi and Kosc were having issues as I see them as the same defender type largely.)

Artemis

We were the better team vs Atletico too.
Only Wenger could have squandered a 1-0 lead against 10-men in a European competition. One of the worst managers in European competitions.

That doesn't take away from his early league title wins and FA cup wins. But in Europe, he was shocking.

In his 18 year career with Arsenal, he went to a European final only once, and lost. Even when he literally had his best team, the invincibles, they lost to Chelsea in the quarter finals of the CL. Just to put things into context, Emery went to the Europa League final in his first season with us.

Wenger was never going to get us a European trophy if he continued being Arsenal manager for 100 years.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
Big Wengz got to 2 European finals...Champions League in 2006 and UEFA Cup in 2000, and I have no idea how we lost both games.

Don't know how we didn't win in Europe in the 1996-2006 period, considering the players/manager we had...can't all be put at Arsène though, that's unfair.

CaseUteinberger

Established Member

One thing that cannot be ignored was that we were on the decline under Wenger already and many of the problems we have been suffering under had already started under him. At the end I felt the game had run him by in many ways.

Another fact is that the PL now in 2020 has much better coaching than just 5 years ago. Pep (2016) and Klopp (2015) entered the league, Pochettino just had come to Sp**s (2014). Now Hasenhuetll, Bielsa, Graham Potter, Chris Wilder, Rogers are in the league.

Overall the league as it is now is much more even than in years past. Under Wenger we were flat track bullies and really could beat up the lower half of the table. That just isn't in there anymore to the same extent.

All, in all I think we would have about the same problems or be even worse than we have been since he left. We have picked up another FA cup under Arteta and made the EL final under Emery. Not sure that would have been in it under Wenger.

Think it is simply time we face up to facts. We are a fairy poorly run club and at best we are the 7-8th best club or more likely mid-table right now.

I am hopeful we will rebuild, but rebuild we must. And that means offloading the rubbish we have onboard in form of overpaid and underperforming players. Longing for Wenger or days gone will not bring us anywhere.

Onwards and upwards!

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel

That goal pretty much sums it up with Koscielny kicking the ball into his own face and Mustafi slipping.

It's not his fault as much as I hate him, as this is all on Kos really...but of course Mustafi would slip when there is even a 1% chance of him saving us :lol:

Zaza

Whatever Wenger lacked in tactical nous, one thing is for certain - he's much better in building teams and eye for talent.
I don't think we'd have gotten to the stage of lacking so much creativity in the side.
Never forget Wenger didn't want Lacazette, Perez and even Xhaka. Its obvious to anyone that he no longer had the final word on transfers during his final season.
Personally I feel we were so unlucky in the first half of the 17/18 season. Id say the Liverpool game was the only game we got properly spanked. We were not getting any luck away from home.

Zaza

Looking back at that 2018 match against Atletico though...

Ospina
Bellerin-Koscielny-Mustafi-Monreal
Xhaka
Ramsey-Wilshere
Özil-Lacazette-Welbeck
...some of these players were on their last legs, but hey always gave it their all under Arsène, shame they couldn't win it for him and send him out on a high...good group, bar a few.
Lacazette cost is this tie. I feel we would've qualified if Aubamayeng or even Giroud played both legs instead of Laca.

shoot for the top

With Wenger, we would probably be still challenging for 6th at the very least. We will score more than we concede. Wenger was known to know how to bring out the best in attacking players.

blaze_of_glory

Definitely not. Probably pretty much in the same situation as when he left, you'd hope a bit better if he would be able to bring in players to improve his 2018 team. But the same debates would still be going on about him.

EmeryCouldnt

Established Member
Wenger finished 6th once and everyone panicked about a decline. The truth is that we would fluctuate around 4th and more likely than not, achieved champions league football faster with Wenger.

No doubt we’d do better with Wenger. But we had to transition eventually... the question is, could we have better prepared for the transition?

novar

We weren't on decline under Wenger, he was considering to leave in that FA cup year and we were too incompetent to have a decent plan ready. He extends with no payrise, and the burnout from a guy that took the wrong decision to keep working shows with a 5th and 6th place finish and a harsh EL semifinal.

He knows from the way things go last season the ride is over, fans had enough and the squad starts feeling the burden too. He knows there is still no proper plan for life after him but at the same time he can't remain at the club, it's a lose lose situation. Announces his retirement before a key game on purpose. It was just a gamble to propel one last spark of motivation and put Arsenal in the CL were finances can be healthy, but sadly it doesn't work.

He leaves, fans remember the good times with him a bit before foolishly believing once again he was the problem once the nostalgia period passes. The best and only thing he can do is not getting anywhere near the club, allow the fans to embrace the new era, hope for the best with those frauds at the helm. He releases a book about his career, it's ****ing boring, full of respect and class.

The man didn't think twice to give up his reputation for the sake of the club, and it's downright offensive seeing how the fans behave toward a man that has the club in the 15th position considering how they turned their backs on Wenger. In a way it was expected, during that Wenger out planes era some were saying for a while we would come to regret our poor judgement and get to reap the rotten fruit of our bad decisions, they were absolutely right.

truth_hurts

but Holding’s hair transplant was painless
Under Wenger's guidance, we sold RVP to United and a couple of years later opted for Xhaka over Kante and turned down Cesc to allow him to help Chelsea win the league. Our cm options could have been Cesc, Santi, Kante, Ramsey and Wilshere with Özil and Sanchez in front.

Wenger wouldn't have had us in 15th, but God it would have been painful if he stayed.

OnlyOne

‘Donkeys don’t have a peak, they remain useless’
Trusted ⭐

We as fans fell for the propaganda at the time that led us to believe he was a villain.

It’s no coincidence we see the same lot like AFTV and Athletic writers scrambling to defend Arteta now.

He would have never have been allowed to stay on cause every loss in the league, every cup exit, every transfer we got wrong just grated on the fans more and more.

The same fans that are fine with losing 5 in a row and the likes of Cedric and Willian showing up ironically.

Even when he got stuff right it was met with vitriol. We got tired of him and he wasn’t free to work in peace. It’s a hard question to answer but the fall off was unavoidable essentially.

You say this but Wenger’s the same guy who signed Mustafi, Elneny, Kola & Xhaka etc, so no point bringing transfers into it. That being said we wouldn’t fall off as much but we weren’t going to progress and that’s when you have to make a change.

Kobi

I Know Who You Are
Probably yes, I'm grateful for for all he did but this mess started under him and was only getting worse.
He won one away game in six months, a lucky win on the last day against already relegated, not to mention completely hopeless, Huddersfield Town.
We were sterile, creating nothing, just passing the ball about infront of teams, Mustafi, Xhaka, Lacazette, Elneny etc were all bought under him and would all still be starting along with Bellerin, the only big difference would be Özil would be starting games, on the occasions he actually wanted to play.
Oh and less crosses, obviously.

BigPoppaPump

Reeling from Laca & Kos nightmares

Proper dumb and dumber stuff back there man, Koscielny was one player I never understood why people rated. He's basically a French Mustafi, he was a liability. That's why we had so many drubbings with him in the back four, not to mention all the penalties and red cards. He was a bum only Arsenal fans rated him.

BigPoppaPump

Reeling from Laca & Kos nightmares

I was going to say that there'd probably be some ready to say that Koscielny was the one making Mertesacker look good and then you best me and give that standpoint. :lol:

I'd say that neither where perfect, but had a really good partnership because they were so diverse. Two Mertesackers is one too many. Two Koscielnys is one too many as well. (A big reason why I think Mustafi and Kosc were having issues as I see them as the same defender type largely.)

And Koscielny was Mustafi before Mustafi.

One is a World Champion the other cost his team the Euros in the final and they finally won the World Cup when he got injured then he said he wished they never won it :lol:

Just the mentality is different, Mertesacker shouting at Özil to say bye to the fans vs Koscielny crying in front of the squad when he was meant to motivate them because his son asked why he was so sh*t.

Latest posts

Top Bottom