• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Would we have dropped off so much with Wenger?

Would we have dropped off so much with Wenger?

• Better with Wenger

Votes: 58 85.3%
  • The same

Votes: 9 13.2%
  • Even worse

Votes: 1 1.5%

• Total voters

razörist

Soft With The Ladies, Hard With The Mes

What if, Wenger never left? We didnt get Emery or Arteta just Arsène. Where do you think we would be?

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

The thing is we were dropping off with Wenger. 17/18 was a disaster at the time.

I don't think we'd be in this position with Wenger. But we needed to move on, the problem was we majorly ****ed up the process of replacing him, combined with poor recruitment and constant changes to the backroom staff. It's been one big cluster ****.

It's hard to know what would've happened, but let's not forget Wenger's contract was up in 2019 anyways and I think that would've been it in any case. It is somewhat ironic that we decided to sack him because falling to 6th was deemed unacceptable. Now look at us.

tap-in

Nothing Wrong With Me
If we had lost yesterday is would have set a new record going back to when Victoria was on the throne. I think its fair to say every manager we've ever had would be doing better than Arteta.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
Probably not, as the only way Arsène would have stayed on is if he was still given final say on transfers...so we almost certainly would have signed much more technical players than we have now, we would have been much closer to getting back in the Champions League under Big Wengz I am sure.

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐
With wenger the decline was just in beginning teams around us getting better and we just got arrogant and kept doing same mistakes not handling contracts well.

With wenger the situation correctly could been better no one dare create bad mood in dressing room or disagree with him players won't try and play like bunch of stupid c**ts without confidence in pitch specially at home.

Macho

In search of Pure Profit 💸
Dusted 🔻

We as fans fell for the propaganda at the time that led us to believe he was a villain.

It’s no coincidence we see the same lot like AFTV and Athletic writers scrambling to defend Arteta now.

He would have never have been allowed to stay on cause every loss in the league, every cup exit, every transfer we got wrong just grated on the fans more and more.

The same fans that are fine with losing 5 in a row and the likes of Cedric and Willian showing up ironically.

Even when he got stuff right it was met with vitriol. We got tired of him and he wasn’t free to work in peace. It’s a hard question to answer but the fall off was unavoidable essentially.

Yousif Arsenal

Trusted ⭐
We as fans fell for the propaganda at the time that led us to believe he was a villain.

It’s no coincidence we see the same lot like AFTV scrambling to defend Arteta now.

He would have never have been allowed to stay on cause every loss in the league, every cup exit, every transfer we got wrong just grated on the fans more and more. The same fans that are fine with losing 5 in a row and the likes of Cedric and Willian showing up ironically.

Even when he got stuff right it was met with vitriol. We got tired of him and he wasn’t free to work in peace. It’s a hard question to answer but the fall off was unavoidable essentially.
It was toxic yes the AFTV was going way too disrespectful with him i think for me it was right time to change because our away record with wenger last 2 season was absolutely bad we even as fans had no confidence with our team go away and win or even take a point. But wenger Ivan can't escape the mistakes they did from 2015 to 2018 the transfers and handling of contracts was extremely poor we bought many wrong players

AberGooner

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Not convinced we'd have been back into top 4 with Wenger still here but no chance we would've been 15th.

We still had the ability to get 3-0 or 5-1 type wins in his last season, no chance we could smash anybody at the moment.

baccy_man

Established Member
We were already in decline towards the end of Arsène's, tenure i think there are a lot of fans that look back with rose tinted glasses and don't remember that our play had become quite predictable and we used to get bullied of the ball in some of the games under Arsène,
It was a pity that Arsène, did not get the finances that Emery, and Arteta, have had he would have probably got some of the better players to come to the club as players wanted to play under Arsène.

Tir Na Nog

I'd have loved to seen Auba get a full season under Wenger tbf, that's the one thing I kinda wished we seen. For years we'd been crying out for a pacey, ruthless finishing and we only got to see it for just over a dozen league games. Made it worse that he wasn't eligible for the EL because we'd have beaten Atletico if the same chances that fell to Jesy Nelson fell to Auba instead.

Yousif Arsenal

Trusted ⭐
I'd have loved to seen Auba get a full season under Wenger tbf, that's the one thing I kinda wished we seen. For years we'd been crying out for a pacey, ruthless finishing and we only got to see it for just over a dozen league games. Made it worse that he wasn't eligible for the EL because we'd have beaten Atletico if the same chances that fell to Jesy Nelson fell to Auba instead.
If auba was allowed to be registered in europa league that season we'd have gone and win it the A.Madrid game at home we missed like so many chances Partey had amazing game at RB too lol

MikelHadADream

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
The thing with Arsenal over the last decade is that you had/have no clue who is making the decisions. Imo Wenger was doing an unbelievable job up until around 2014.

We then got some money and the signings from that point onwards were god awful. There are the obvious bad signings, but then the likes of Debuchy/Chambers/Perez cost this club dearly as well. At the time I thought the signings were solely down to Wenger, which led me to believe he was finished, but now given the mess the board is in, I'm really not so sure who was making the decisions.

Riou

Jesy Nelson ffs :lol:

Thought Laca played very well that night, only 1 bad miss that I remember, but he scored after that anyway...that defeat was on Kos (as much as I love him) if anyone, for his mistake in the first leg.

Tir Na Nog

Jesy Nelson ffs :lol:

Thought Laca played very well that night, only 1 bad miss that I remember, but he scored after that anyway...that defeat was on Kos (as much as I love him) if anyone, for his mistake in the first leg.

Not just him but we created over 20 chances and only scored 1 goal. And 1-0 is always a dangerous lead. We needed to be winning that game by 2 at least going into the 2nd lead knowing how good Atletico are at home. I'm not sure if 1-0 would've been good enough even without the Kos mistake.

Garrincha

Wilf Zaha Aficionado
Trusted ⭐
easily better than with Arteta

personally defo wanted Emery out by November but an argument there if he was allowed to sign the players he wanted that summer maybe the breakdown never happens & we get 4th

Fewtch

Özil at 10 And Emery Out
I think only City had a slightly better home record than us in 17/18 but for some freak reason we were abysmal away from home. Give Wenger the ca 250m we've spent since his departure with full control over signings and we are for sure a top 4 team playing some football that won't drive a person to **** thoughts.

Riou

Looking back at that 2018 match against Atletico though...

Ospina
Bellerin-Koscielny-Mustafi-Monreal
Xhaka
Ramsey-Wilshere
Özil-Lacazette-Welbeck
...some of these players were on their last legs, but they always gave it their all under Arsène, shame they couldn't win it for him and send him out on a high...good group, bar a few.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom