• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Would we have dropped off so much with Wenger?

Would we have dropped off so much with Wenger?

• Better with Wenger

Votes: 58 85.3%
  • The same

Votes: 9 13.2%
  • Even worse

Votes: 1 1.5%

• Total voters

RandomHero84

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saka
With Wenger we would be around top 4 today, EASILY.

Some of you just can’t admit it,
This.

We were in decline with Wenger. But decline from standards he set. We would have battered half the league and got humiliated by the occasional big boy team.

We would never see a team not creating anything, whilst still letting in all the same ****ty goals. He would not have allowed that.

What I don't understand: is this not more or less the same arsenal team that beat manchester city and liverpool and chelsea?

If anything it should be better with the addition of Gabriel and Partey

Has Arteta lost the dressing room somehow? He seems preoccupied with leaks which makes me wonder. Sometimes the inflexibility and inexperience of youth can be counterproductive

RacingPhoton

Established Member
Wenger had a good career. But he did drop off towards the end. That's because most other top teams progressed a lot while we stayed where we were. With him in the lead, we would have been around 6th position. Definitely not as bad as we are now but not back to champion's league spot either.
People who wanted Wenger to leave including me wanted a manager who would take us forward. We just messed up big time with big appointments like Emery, Raul and Arteta.

Kav

Established Member
To answer the question. No we would not be anywhere as bad as we are now. I think he would have gotten top four if he was allowed to finish his contract in his last year. He would have wanted to leave on a high. He and his teams usually had the character to bounce back from adversity.

One of the things people have not commented on was Wenger’s ability to rebuild squads. He was continually doing it over the 22 years he was here.
If Gazidis and the board wanted to rebuild they should have asked Wenger to focus on that and let him know that they would not renew his contract after it ended. This would have allowed him to put some things in place for a transition.

This however is all in the past now.

Atlas

Lost a sausage bet on Xhaka 😭
The league is the poorest it’s been, give Wenger the 300M we have wasted and we would be top 4.

Some of you just won’t allow yourself to admit it :rofl:.

Given that Wenger spent 200m on Xhaka, Mustafi, Laca, Perez and Auba there is no guarantee he wouldn’t have waste the next 300m.

GDeep™

League is very weak
Given that Wenger spent 200m on Xhaka, Mustafi, Laca, Perez and Auba there is no guarantee he wouldn’t have waste the next 300m.
Laca and Auba were good signings. Perez was 16M and we got a lot of that back.

With Wenger you can only talk about two expensive flops in 25 years.

Atlas

Lost a sausage bet on Xhaka 😭
Laca and Auba were good signings. Perez was 16M and we got a lot of that back.

With Wenger you can only talk about two expensive flops in 25 years.

The mistakes Wenger made were more costly than flops.

https://www.fourfourtwo.com/amp/news/wenger-why-i-snubbed-barry-alonso

This is where I realized Wenger was starting to lose it. Lost a league title right there. Cant blame Fabregas for walking when he realized he would be playing with Diabolical, Denilson and Song instead of Barry and Alonso.

Jack_the_boy

Definitely Not Manberg
It’s a good question. Over Wenger’s tenure the decline has been more gradual rather than as sudden as the last two years, but you never know.

GDeep™

League is very weak
8th and 15th since Wenger with the most spent in our history yet we’ve collected some of the worst players and worst football most fans have seen since the 1950’s.

Suck it up ladies.

dka1

100% Dark Chocolate
Trusted ⭐

With Wenger we would be around top 4 today, EASILY.

Some of you just can’t admit it,

I think so honestly. Sure it was his time to go but I seriously underestimated how much of a good coach Wenger was.

Creating a fluid attack with a team that mostly dominates is evidently not as easy as snapping your fingers and I think Wenger is better than guys like Ole and Lampard both of whom are managing teams that are "challenging" but they actually have much better players than us.

For that I'm sorry to him.

stiiphunn

Established Member
I don't exactly know where we would be with Wenger. But I think we can safely say that we wouldn't be 15th and that we would be playing better football.

Godwin1

Very well-known
No we would not be fighting relegation under Arsène Wenger, and there's no need for an entire debate on it.
Exactly, would we be better of with a manager who's been here for decades and has a system in place that the whole squad know and new players can slot easier into or the two new guys one who's flopped and the other who's never managed a single game and is flopping? Such a stupid question and it's had 6 pages of debate over it!

Batman

Head of the Wayne foundation for benching Nketiah

Player:Saliba
It would be the same but with better football.

The board were already looking at the future so didn't support Wenger in his last seasons. He must have known the board had abandoned him.

Wenger should have resigned after the FA cup. Should have told the board to fcuk off.

If the board wanted Wenger to continue after two seasons, they should have supported him.
To be fair, they bought him 2 50m strikers in his final year. Auba was bought to try and save his job. The issue wasn't lack of spending so much as poor spending. His last few windows were diabolical in terms of wasting money on awful players who then plummeted in value after not performing.

infinium

Has Arteta lost the dressing room somehow? He seems preoccupied with leaks which makes me wonder. Sometimes the inflexibility and inexperience of youth can be counterproductive
The way the players are performing suggests that coach and players are not aligned in their thinking at the moment. I get the impression that Arteta had a game plan this season, a game plan he thinks works as long as the players implement it "correctly". On the other hand, the players probably think they have implemented it but still been regularly beaten and no longer have faith in this system of Arteta's.

infinium

To be fair, they bought him 2 50m strikers in his final year. Auba was bought to try and save his job. The issue wasn't lack of spending so much as poor spending. His last few windows were diabolical in terms of wasting money on awful players who then plummeted in value after not performing.
For me, Santi's injury (and to some extent Wilshere's continual injury issues) killed Wenger. Wengerball doesn't work without a player of that type and it didn't matter how many strikers we brought in. It was a bit like the season after we lost Fabregas, we were all over the shop for a while until ironically it was Arteta who came in to stabilise the ship a bit before Santi arrived the following year.

Batman

Head of the Wayne foundation for benching Nketiah

Player:Saliba
For me, Santi's injury (and to some extent Wilshere's continual injury issues) killed Wenger. Wengerball doesn't work without a player of that type and it didn't matter how many strikers we brought in. It was a bit like the season after we lost Fabregas, we were all over the shop for a while until ironically it was Arteta who came in to stabilise the ship a bit before Santi arrived the following year.
No doubt those 2 being fit and healthy would have helped but then you say OK why do you buy players like Xhaka and Elnenny who clearly are unsuited to Wengerball? What killed Arsène more than anything was too much shopping for the best deals with no regard to fit. Whether that was on him or Gazidis or whomever is difficult to ascertain but what's clear is that a lot of the money spent under Wenger in the last 4-5 seasons was pissed away on players who didn't fit what he wanted to do technically and didn't fit together tactically.

krackpot

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
I would call it more as a token gesture rather than supporting Wenger.

His only signings were Laca and Auba, while we needed CBs. I remember him not playing Mustafi as he didn't really want him.

Contrast that with Fergie: He asked for RvP, they bought him...wanted Kagawa, they got him...wanted Zaha they got him.

Wenger's stubborn-ness must have had a role to play in his downfall, but the board left him out without a paddle.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom