• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Would we have dropped off so much with Wenger?

Would we have dropped off so much with Wenger?

• Better with Wenger

Votes: 58 85.3%
  • The same

Votes: 9 13.2%
  • Even worse

Votes: 1 1.5%

• Total voters

Batman

Head of the Wayne foundation for benching Nketiah

Player:Saliba
I would call it more as a token gesture rather than supporting Wenger.

His only signings were Laca and Auba, while we needed CBs. I remember him not playing Mustafi as he didn't really want him.

Contrast that with Fergie: He asked for RvP, they bought him...wanted Kagawa, they got him...wanted Zaha they got him.

Wenger's stubborn-ness must have had a role to play in his downfall, but the board left him out without a paddle.
United have had a bottomless pit of money since the early 90s. They could always get Fergie whoever he wanted. Those 2 situations are not comparable. Now Kroenke is cheap but let's also consider how Arsène handicapped himself with his own handling of contracts. He basically alternated between letting a player run their contract down to where they had no transfer value relative to what we paid or handing out such bloated wages that it affected our ability to recruit for years because when they inevitably underperformed, they were now on wages too high for anyone to want to take them.

The last 8 years or so of Wenger's reign are littered with cases like that where he grossly mismanaged the budget that he was given and left us with a wage bill that wasn't commensurate with the quality of the squad or the limits of the finances he was working with. If we assume he had full control of transfers until his last 2 years, he still is responsible for much of his own misery in that regard because he often spent poorly when he did have funds.

It's also a bit more than a token gesture when tightwad like Kroenke sanctions over 100 million sterling for a pair of strikers. Nobody does that with the intention of moving on. The lack of results and the outrage from supporters necessitated that. Does Wenger look a bit better in retrospect given how pitiful Arteta and Emery have been? Absolutely. Did he also very much make his own bed by botching the things he could control? Absolutely.

krackpot

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
United have had a bottomless pit of money since the early 90s. They could always get Fergie whoever he wanted. Those 2 situations are not comparable.
Agreed that they invest a lot of money in their squad...if Utd got 100M in strikers and a CB, I would start calling them title challengers even with OGS. they have outstanding players: Pogba, Fernandes, Rashford, Martial, AWB, DDG...that is a sensational core.

We are spending a lot of money every window AFTER Wenger left. We have had a zero or negative net spend probably every year Wenger was with us. That is not supporting your manager.

The last 8 years or so of Wenger's reign are littered with cases like that where he grossly mismanaged the budget that he was given and left us with a wage bill that wasn't commensurate with the quality of the squad or the limits of the finances he was working with. If we assume he had full control of transfers until his last 2 years, he still is responsible for much of his own misery in that regard because he often spent poorly when he did have funds.

It's also a bit more than a token gesture when tightwad like Kroenke sanctions over 100 million sterling for a pair of strikers. Nobody does that with the intention of moving on. The lack of results and the outrage from supporters necessitated that. Does Wenger look a bit better in retrospect given how pitiful Arteta and Emery have been? Absolutely. Did he also very much make his own bed by botching the things he could control? Absolutely.
Good points. Hopefully someone higher up at AFC is also thinking about these things and trying to avoid the very obvious repeat of that situation.

Think it was a case of him being stubborn about not buying players, and the board being happy to let him carry on.

I can't recall any huge ding-dongs in his transfers, except for Mustafi. In fact, Mustafi is probably the only >40M signing that completely failed. Laca is the second worst signing but he is decent.

Pepe was bought after him I think. Mkhi was forced onto him.

The point you make about him being in complete control of the transfers was valid, but even that was waning by the end. He repeatedly said that he wouldn't have given Özil a big contract, he refused at times to play Mustafi.

His huge contracts for the youngsters really drained the club, but they were not bad for us because we could still pay anyone to come to AFC. They probably contributed to us losing Alexis. His betrayal was coming, but he would have stayed if we gave him enough money.

Macho

In search of Pure Profit 💸
Dusted 🔻

The thing is some of the bad practices and cultural things we don’t like about the club still exist long after Arsène has gone.

You’d think that would remove his name from the blame game but not with our lot. We deserve every bit of what we’re seeing now honestly.

Tourbillion

Angry & Miserable
The same. Do people not remember the last year and a half under Arsène? Progressively worse. The dressing room "stopped playing for him" - somewhat.

yorch44

Commander of the Pelotudo Brigade
I completely agree! Somehow we deserve this, not only because of Karma. But because we are being managed like shiiit! Not only refering to Arteta, but those fishy deals with KIA players, having like 8 CBs instead of investing in one WC CB, not getting sorted the midfield, expending 80m in one unproved winger when we had an spine to solve, wasting millions on Saliba only to not playing him. The situation with Özil, Papa and Douzy. Not being able to sell players.

All those things results in 15th

Dennis_Bergkamp_10

Established Member
Some of our fans truly deserve what's going on right now.

That being said, it's easy to say that with Wenger we wouldn't have dropped off so much. His last season - still better than the **** served up with Emery and Arteta though - was far below Arsenal standards and we lost too many away games. We also signed players like Mustafi, Xhaka who turned out te be mid-table signings. Who knows..

God knows I miss the man.

Oxeki

Match Day Thread Merchant
Trusted ⭐

I would call it more as a token gesture rather than supporting Wenger.

His only signings were Laca and Auba, while we needed CBs. I remember him not playing Mustafi as he didn't really want him.

Contrast that with Fergie: He asked for RvP, they bought him...wanted Kagawa, they got him...wanted Zaha they got him.

Wenger's stubborn-ness must have had a role to play in his downfall, but the board left him out without a paddle.
Actually, Fergie wanted Hazard and he was given kagawa.

But I get your point.

freeglennhelder2

Established Member

Player:Elneny
I genuinley dont get these alternative timeline threads.

Where would the club be if Henry had tucked away the chance in the CL final?
What if PEA had dispatched the last min penalty away to sp*rs and we had qualified for CL?
What would my life be like if I had married Salma Hayek?

Batman

Head of the Wayne foundation for benching Nketiah

I genuinley dont get these alternative timeline threads.

Where would the club be if Henry had tucked away the chance in the CL final?
What if PEA had dispatched the last min penalty away to sp*rs and we had qualified for CL?
What would my life be like if I had married Salma Hayek?
The first 2 were actually plausible.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom