• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Would We Win The Europa League?

OohtobeaGoonerGal

Established Member
For a start, the disappointment of missing out on the CL would be overwhelming, the media etc. would run riot and Wenger would feel a new type of heat after entering a situation he's rarely ever had to for more than a decade.
The squad would be demoralised from having lost 3 first teamers and miss out on the CL in one foul sweep, it could feel like a blow too many for some. Disillusionment may set in.

But... after the shocks have faded away and it's realised that there's still a big season ahead, I think we could regroup and do well for ourselves. Our players have had many years of fighting at the top and losing at the crunch, and the Europa might not be an exception, but if we have the squad in top condition then we'd have a great fighting chance. Our rank in world football shouldn't be all we rely on, as the mentality and performance in the final is what it comes down to, and the CC final is a really sad reminder of that.

GDeep™

League is very weak
We would qualify from the group stages, no one would stand a chance against us in the knockout stages over 2 legs, but anything can happen in a one off game like the final.

Illusion

Established Member
This team couldn't win the Carling Cup, it's not going to come close to winning the Europa League, too many strong teams and smart tactical managers.

Sp**s have more chance of winning the Europa League than we do. But it's unlikely Sp**s will go full force at it.

Irish_Owen

Established Member
Raider said:
Intelligent input.

But let me divulge further into your trail of thought. Do you believe that we have the capabilities to do what Fulham did two years ago and reach the final? I dare not ask if we'd surpass their achievements though, because I too know we're too much of a small time club to even think about beating Atletico

Anzac

Established Member
IMO our squad isn't good enough to realistically compete in more than 1 comp without there being consequences elsewhere. We'd need to play our strongest team far too often particularly once we reached the knock-out stages.

Irish_Owen

Established Member
Anzac said:
IMO our squad isn't good enough to realistically compete in more than 1 comp without there being consequences elsewhere. We'd need to play our strongest team far too often particularly once we reached the knock-out stages.
The same could be said about Barcelona last year.

Anzac

Established Member
Irish_Owen said:
Anzac said:
The same could be said about Barcelona last year.

Entirely different circumstances IMO.
They weren't trying to compete in 4 comps;
their Reserve players were playing in the club system in their equivalent of the Championship & League 1;
and the quality of their senior squad was superior for a start - less development players, distruptions re injuries etc.

We've been a 1 trick pony squad since before the move & this season sees us currently with less depth than ever.

scytheavatar

Established Member
This topic is the worst topic I have ever seen in this forum. Not even Aston Villa gives a damn about the Europa League, why the heck should we? It's a useless competition that should have ended a long time ago.

Anzac

Established Member
scytheavatar said:
This topic is the worst topic I have ever seen in this forum. Not even Aston Villa gives a damn about the Europa League, why the heck should we? It's a useless competition that should have ended a long time ago.

IMO it's only 'useless' due to the TV revenues available in the PL, whereby 4th place is worth more than ANY of the Cups other than CL.

Both UEFA comps are flawed as a result of the Elite clubs wanting to generate more revenues. It will be interesting to see what happens with the advent of these new mega rich club owners coming on the scene. Me thinks that we'll see more changes.

Another point being that despite the PL revenues PL clubs have not managed to dominate the Europa, and they've struggled to maintain capability across the Europa & PL.

Le Professeur

Established Member
Some amazingly pessimistic views in here. We lost the CC admittedly but that was a pretty rare ****-up imo.

If we were to play in it we'd be definite favourites, and frankly I'd be disappointed with anything less than that than the trophy.

Have a little faith for ****'s sake.

Y va marquer

Established Member
Winning the Europa League - thankfully it is not something we'll have to test this season or any season hopefully.

Dave_Ja_Vu

Not really... I would never know if I would have won that lotto draw if I didn't buy a ticket. The only way I'd no for certain is if I'd bought it.

The only way we'd know whether or not we'd win the Europa League is if we were in it.

On our day we would probably beat all the teams in it, but there's plenty of teams we could lose to, on their day.

DJ_Markstar

Based and Artetapilled

Player:Martinelli
Oh ok, I thought you were going somewhere else with that analogy - my apologies.

Having said that, the point of this thread is to speculate on the exact basis that no one knows how we'd do. Debating is fun!

qs

Established Member
Dave_Ja_Vu said:
If I forgot to buy a lotto ticket today, would the numbers I would have picked rolled in?

Exactly. Its a cup. Of course we could win it, would we is impossible to answer. Flawed question really.

Irish_Owen

Established Member
qs said:
Dave_Ja_Vu said:
If I forgot to buy a lotto ticket today, would the numbers I would have picked rolled in?

Exactly. Its a cup. Of course we could win it, would we is impossible to answer. Flawed question really.
The idea behind creating this thread was to invoke a pessimistic reaction towards a team you claim to support, which I find the most baffling thing about this thread tbh.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom