• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Would you exchange money for Cesc?

Clrnc

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Tomiyasu
Won't accept a cash only deal since Wenger won't spend on that cash too. Unless, we have a financial crisis or Wenger promise to use that cash.

Generally, if selling Cesc helps our team more as in maybe getting a good central midfielder and defender plus cash, then I would sell him.

arsenalfc0719

Established Member
No.

We all know that Wenger wouldn't even use half the money we'd get for him. He'd probably buy a very inferior replacement and claim that we are still in as good as a position as we where even with Fabregas departure because we have... etc. etc.

Fabregas is what is making this team be a top team, if he leaves, we'll be left with a handful of immature kids with no experience, and probably also left out of the top four.

But if Fabregas really wants to leave, which is a big possibility, since this season we'll end trophy-less yet again, there is little we can do.

Klaus Daimler

Established Member
I think that from an economical aspect it would be somewhat tempting to accept a offer for more than fifty millions. But then again - what would that money buy us? Quality wise you can just forget about replacements. There isn't another player like him in the world. I believe that Cesc is the biggest talent we've had during Wenger apart from Henry. You just can't replace players like that. I don't think it's a good idea for any club with a healthy economy to ever sell their best players simply because of the money. There was an unofficial offer for Henry once from Chelsea that could have paid for half of the Emirates. I still don't regret that Dein didn't take it.

Of course, the money could be part of the payment for the debt to the bank instead. But that would 1) leave us short of our best player in midfield without even an attempt to replace him (and the total sum wouldn't be fifty million anyway after taxes and fees), and 2) we don't really need that. We have our payment plan at a fixed interest rate and once the Highbury sales get going we will be in a much better position.

And let's not forget that we have a very good squad already, that should be improved even further soon with the comebacks of Eduardo and (possibly) Rosicky. What we lack right now could easily be made up for without selling Fabregas.

And, I don't think the comment about Henry is fair either. Thierry continued to perform on the same level for yet another season after Vieira left, and neither Ljungberg nor Pires played a great deal during that season. He still netted 33 goals and 9 assists. It was the season after that, where he only managed 17 games in the league due to all the injuries, that he appeared to fade. I think it showed that Henry still performed as good as ever. It was the team around him that didn't. Maybe Cesc hasn't been up to his usual standards yet this season, but he was fantastic yesterday. The way he did Neville and Carrick before he assisted Nasri to the second goal was pure world class.

Alfonso

Established Member
Klaus Daimler said:
And, I don't think the comment about Henry is fair either. Thierry continued to perform on the same level for yet another season after Vieira left, and neither Ljungberg nor Pires played a great deal during that season. He still netted 33 goals and 9 assists. It was the season after that, where he only managed 17 games in the league due to all the injuries, that he appeared to fade. I think it showed that Henry still performed as good as ever. .

Firstly I said the 2006/2007, did not mention the 2005/2006 season. Secondly, Henry was shocking for at least 75% of the time in his last season with us, and some of the 'injuries' were bs imo. Wenger clearly dropped him in December 2006 after Henry's outburts regarding the manager's spending policy. Injured or not, that final season he played with no motivation and as if his mind was in Barca, which is akin to Cesc's form so far this season. Always will be an Arsenal legend though.

Klaus Daimler

Established Member
Wenger didn't clearly drop Henry, that's just ridiculous. And he arrived in very bad shape at Barca as well, being out for months during his first season due to the fact that those same injuries weren't fully healed. They weren't made up.

tactica442

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
I think Biggus' point is more about building a team that suit Cesc's style than the money reason. But like I said in the previous post, it would be better to find the solution on the current system not working (esp. when one looks at the 25 scored goals and the 13 concessions in the league) instead of being tempted to sell an important player in the squad.

If the team continues to concede goal at this rate, they will concede 39 goals by May. Comapre this stat with Liverpool's and Chelsea's and it's not diffcult to find that anser. No title-winning teams can afford that kind of concessions.

Finally Wenger doesn't need 50M to fix the team. And I don't think he will need to spend half of that amount of money with Cesc staying.

qs

Established Member
progman07 said:
Biggus said:
Okay then 50M pounds seems a decent ball park figure.
I don't think Wenger could use that money well. I fear he would act the same as he did after the departure of Flamini.

He didn't get any money for Flamini.

the dawn raids

Established Member
tactica442 said:
If the team continues to concede goal at this rate, they will concede 39 goals by May. Comapre this stat with Liverpool's and Chelsea's and it's not diffcult to find that anser. No title-winning teams can afford that kind of concessions.

and thats exactly what it comes down to. the point has been made so many times im not sure if its worth repeating. but how wenger can openly admit our defense needs strengthening, and does very little to address it, and doesnt add the midfielder we so obviously are in desperate need of ill never know.

if the money is there, as we keep hearing ad naseaum, its not going to cost 50 million to find the midfielder and the cover for the backline we need. realistically wenger can make do with half that money.

j'nuh

Why cant a guy be slightly off form/suffering from playing a whole season followed by a whole European Championships without people having lengthy debate on selling him or trying to find alterior motives for him not playing so well?

qs

Established Member
We wont get £50m for Fabregas anyway. the Spanish clubs talk a bit talk but neither Real or Barca could come up with that kind of cash for a single player at the moment. They couldn't do it for Ronaldo during the summer and they wont do it for Fab anytime soon. I think we'd be lucky to get £30m and at that sort of price I'd much rather keep him.

HollandGooner

Established Member

Player:Ødegaard
How much amount of money we would get, we would never get a Fabregas quality midfielder back, everyone would keep their best midfielders.

So a big NO

TomasCR

Established Member
Funny enough. When someone from the press said Barca or Real was ready to buy Cesc for any money, everyone wanted to pluck off his balls and now it seems like we´re thinking of getting rid of Cesc for some good money, just because he is not that great he was last season. Give me a break.

What do you think Wenger would do with such a big amount of money? Buy 10 kids, everyone for £5m? There is no better playmaker than Cesc at the moment in this ****ing world!

Hell NO!

Rohit

Established Member
Not a chance. He still celebrates every goal we score irrespective of who scores like he is getting an orgasm. He is being asked to marshal a completely new midfield. It takes time for a midfield and that too one which is so young to gel together. For example, Bergkamp and Ljungberg had a great understanding, Bergkamp just knew the space Ljungberg would run into. Fabregas will develop the same with Denilson/ Nasri and Walcott all 3 being great movers off the ball the more they play together.

Ofcourse he is not at the level we expect him to be but he has played too much football for a 21 year old. He will come good and even better if it is later in the season.

Big Poppa

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
alboots101 said:
I would and it has nothing to do with his ability or his personality..on pure business..todays footballers are a commodity and what with contractual buy out clauses and sell on fees and all the rest of the bollox that makes agents and lawyers money, why should`nt the club get something back for preparing a young proffessional a future.

On a pure footballing point i would hate to see him go but one man dont make a team and one player is not bigger than the club.

Big teams don't sell their best players.

ricky1985

Established Member
What sell him and miss out on seeing a midfield of of Fabregas, Nasri and Walcott growing together. No way.

JazzG

Established Member
Big Poppa said:
Big teams don't sell their best players.

We have a small club mentality so I wouldn't put it past our lot to sell him if a good offer comes in and then have Wenger explaining to us how in this current financial climate the offer was too good to turn down :roll:

asajoseph

Established Member
There is no way in hell we should be selling Fabregas, unless he demands to leave and someone puts a gigantic offer on the table.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom