• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Would you sign for 4th now?

Would you sign for 4th now?

• Yes

Votes: 38 46.9%
  • No

Votes: 43 53.1%

• Total voters

SA Gunner

Hates Tierney And Wants Him Sold Immediately

Player:Nketiah
Simple answer is no.

The ambitions of the club should be revised imo. 4th should have been something we were aspiring for last season and we were 2 points behind Sp**s who got (71 points), we should be looking more towards the 85 points mark this season with this current bunch that’s if we don’t bring in any other signings in January and then building from there next season. I doubt that’ll be enough to win the PL especially with how Haaland is playing.

No Steady Eddies around here. We’ve got to put all our chips on red and hope for the best.

Question for me is.

Do you sack Arteta based on these revised standards?

Malky

Established Member
Would sign for 4th just now. CL is a massive step in our process and attracts better players in the summer. That said, we can, and should, be aiming for higher than 4th, but an injury to Partey especially and we struggle.

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

We’ve had two ‘tests’ won one and lost one. We seem to be collectively ignoring the United loss as a bad day at the office which I think is a bit lazy. We need to play the others before we can be sure we’re the ‘best of the rest’.

On current form we are though but what if this turns out to be the best run of form of the entire season? Injuries and post World Cup hangovers could be a thing.

I’d take 4th and try win the EL.

HollandGooner

Established Member

Player:Ødegaard
Ofcourse just like everybody here i want the title, but City and Liverpool are still the teams to beat for me. I would be happy with a CL finish and top performances against the top 6.

2Smokeyy

5.0 ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ (49)
Trusted ⭐

Question for me is.

Do you sack Arteta based on these revised standards?

Personally, I’d stick with him since we’ve already committed to his project by bringing in his players. It would be wild to sack him and start from scratch again based on those revised standard especially when things are slowly coming together for him.

Not the stubborn type, so I’m always open for managers/players to prove me wrong and produce for the club which he’s doing thus far. My main concern last season was our style of play and some of those questionable decisions he made but now things are coming together, I don’t really see anyone complaining.

Macho

In search of Pure Profit 💸
Dusted 🔻

We’ve had two ‘tests’ won one and lost one. We seem to be collectively ignoring the United loss as a bad day at the office which I think is a bit lazy.

Is it? I don't think there is any real shame in losing against specific opposition away from home. This team isn't unbeatable so if Arsenal are going to lose anywhere it might as well be at Old Trafford.

What initally bothered me about Arteta was some of the home results and the way he went about them. I am more encouraged by the Sp**s result than deterred by the Utd one. For me that is where the real improvement is found, it was smooth and would have been a shut out bar an individual error.

Trilly

Trusted ⭐

Is it? I don't think there is any real shame in losing against specific opposition away from home. This team isn't unbeatable so if Arsenal are going to lose anywhere it might as well be at Old Trafford.
It is when assessing if we’re ‘clear’ of the rest. We look like we are but when it comes down to it out record is 1W1L against the big 6.

say yes

forum master baiter
We’ve had two ‘tests’ won one and lost one. We seem to be collectively ignoring the United loss as a bad day at the office which I think is a bit lazy. We need to play the others before we can be sure we’re the ‘best of the rest’.
We were the better team against United and unfortunate to lose. I was actually more confident of us getting top 4 after our performance in that game than before, and I think both Neville and Carragher said the same.

Don’t think it was a test we failed at all. Old Trafford is a hard place to go and we got caught on the counter. That happens in football.

We should focus on performances instead of fretting over results. Play like that in the rest of our big games this year and we’ll be fine.

MikelHadADream

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
We got 69 points last season. We definitely look good for 10 points more this season, so I think 4th looks like the minimum we should be expecting.

That being said, what’s the difference between 2nd and 4th in the grand scheme of things? Taking that into consideration I’d take 4th yeah. Want a trophy as well though, ideally the EL.

Macho

In search of Pure Profit 💸
Dusted 🔻

It is when assessing if we’re ‘clear’ of the rest. We look like we are but when it comes down to it out record is 1W1L against the big 6.
Fair enough. For me I read the opening post and it literally comes down to is Arsenal better (or can be better) than City? and it's a no.

Then the next question is do you need to beat Utd and Liverpool away to get 4th our primary objective? Again assuming Arsenal win the matches they need to win it's another no.

That's just my take on things though. Ultimately I want Arsenal to compete but if there is clear progression towards that then I am fine. For me it's not a Prem winning squad and I want to temper my expectations with that in mind.

Blood on the Tracks

AG's best friend, role model and mentor.
Trusted ⭐

Player:Rice
Yep, I'd take a certain decent season now over a gamble for more.

I think we may well finish above 4th but I couldn't turn down a guarantee of CL football and the revenue it brings if offered. That would be a game changer for us.

Last edited:

MikelHadADream

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

The other thing you have to consider as well is how thin the squad is compared to the rest. We look to have a better starting 11 than Chelsea and Sp**s, but I think we’re an injury/suspension to Ramsdale/Saliba/#5/one of the forwards away from a big drop in quality.

berric

Established Member

Player:Trossard
Well, continuous progress is always better than a one-off so I'd definitely sign it.

This means we probably retain most of the squad, have better leverage to sell fringe players, and add better quality players for the further push this year.

Trilly

Trusted ⭐

The other thing you have to consider as well is how thin the squad is compared to the rest. We look to have a better starting 11 than Chelsea and Sp**s, but I think we’re an injury/suspension to Ramsdale/Saliba/#5/one of the forwards away from a big drop in quality.
Exactly so I’d just take 4th now.

This isn’t the first time we’ve had a team that could play almost anyone off the park, it didn’t always translate to being 2nd in the league.

Penn_

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Such a difficult choice. We’ve been insanely good but I’m not sure we have the depth to contend with all the games yet.

I would be inclined to gamble if players put more weight into joining a team that finished 2nd vs 4th.

Top Bottom