• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Would you sign for 4th now?

Would you sign for 4th now?

• Yes

Votes: 38 46.9%
  • No

Votes: 43 53.1%

• Total voters

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

That being said, what’s the difference between 2nd and 4th in the grand scheme of things?
Intangibles really.

You push City close then maybe you have a better chance of signing someone like Nkunku/Leao and convincing them that they can be the difference.

Scraping 4th doesn’t fill prospective players with that same confidence imo.

dka1

100% Dark Chocolate
Trusted ⭐

We got 69 points last season. We definitely look good for 10 points more this season, so I think 4th looks like the minimum we should be expecting.

That being said, what’s the difference between 2nd and 4th in the grand scheme of things? Taking that into consideration I’d take 4th yeah. Want a trophy as well though, ideally the EL.

You're right (albeit I think 3rd might put us straight into the CL group stage whereas 4th doesn't but don't quite me lol).

But even if 4th did mean we skipped the qualifiers I'd still not take it which I suppose is a testament to the position we are in and the work that's been done.

I want us to finish as high as possible, bragging rights is nice and more than that it's a sort of signal of progress and I believe this team is easily capable of getting 3rd.

Edit: Great thread btw.

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
Personally, I’d stick with him since we’ve already committed to his project by bringing in his players. It would be wild to sack him and start from scratch again based on those revised standard especially when things are slowly coming together for him.

Not the stubborn type, so I’m always open for managers/players to prove me wrong and produce for the club which he’s doing thus far. My main concern last season was our style of play and some of those questionable decisions he made but now things are coming together, I don’t really see anyone complaining.
Context of the season is important at the end. Obviously if we just tail off inexplicably having not suffered significant injuries to key players, then he’d probably have to go. If we get to a Europa final and lose despite playing well and we are hit by a big injuries to key players meaning we just miss out on fourth again, then I’d be fine with letting the project continue. Tying down Saliba and Saka is important too. Anyway, this stuff is for the Arteta thread.

Macho

In search of Pure Profit 💸
Dusted 🔻

As well, if we just limp home in fourth having been out of the race since February, and bomb out iof Europa to some sailors, then what hope does that give?

Not the most encouraging scenario, but in this case you could point at the incremental improvements from last seaon onwards and argue that CL revenue and access to a superior player pool would make up for this.

It will be debated inevitably, but most likely some context will probably be afforded.

Nunowoolmez

Established Member
We got 69 points last season. We definitely look good for 10 points more this season, so I think 4th looks like the minimum we should be expecting.

That being said, what’s the difference between 2nd and 4th in the grand scheme of things? Taking that into consideration I’d take 4th yeah. Want a trophy as well though, ideally the EL.
Definately.

I think the relevance of positions, ie 2and over 4th, is the ability to attract players.

Finishing 2nd makes players take note & finishing above likes of Utd, Chelsea, Sp*rd, & Liverpool would send a strong message out. Remember all the above teams have had domestic and/or Eurpean trophies fairly recently (with exception of Spu*rs lol - but they did get to UCL final & been in UCL regularly).

If we get UCL, the next stage in Artetas project will be to make a concerted effort to win the league title & that means a better & stronger squad. So when guys like Bellingham move on, we need to be in the mix!

SA Gunner

Hates Tierney And Wants Him Sold Immediately

Player:Nketiah
Anything less than 2nd is no good, now... Just like anything beyond EL football last season was clearly a bonus, thus the contract extensions, etc.

The battle is for CL football, to allow us to move ahead with our targets. Anything beyond that is a bonus IMO. Secure the fundamentals and live to fight on next season, with some real targets.

Blood on the Tracks

AG's best friend, role model and mentor.
Trusted ⭐

Player:Rice
I'm not sure finishing 2nd, 3rd or 4th will make much difference in terms of attracting players.

If you have CL football and money I think that opens up a lot of options irrespective.

Man City are going to likely be dominant for a number of years yet. Just being realistic I don't think many players are going to be joining us with the number 1 priority of winning the PL, at least in the short term.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

Not the most encouraging scenario, but in this case you could point at the incremental improvements from last seaon onwards and argue that CL revenue and access to a superior player pool would make up for this.

It will be debated inevitably, but most likely some context will probably be afforded.

Yeah but in my eyes even if we incrementally improve each window we’re still up against Pep and Haaland with new world class signings in all likelihood.

Take advantage of the very unlikely position we’re in. Look at Liverpool. You don’t know when your window will open or shut.

TornadoTed

Established Member
Yeah I would absolutely take 4th now. Our biggest priority is getting Saliba, Saka and Martinelli to sign new contracts and Champions League football would go a a long way towards persuading them I feel.

Macho

In search of Pure Profit 💸
Dusted 🔻

Yeah but in my eyes even if we incrementally improve each window we’re still up against Pep and Haaland with new world class signings in all likelihood.

Take advantage of the very unlikely position we’re in. Look at Liverpool. You don’t know when your window will open or shut.

Would take significant investment in January, treating it like a summer window .When is the last time that has happened?

I am sure there were people at the club supportive of it happening but are there significant examples? I can't think of many without going back to Wenger's time.

AbouCuéllar

Author of A-M essays 📚
This season has been brilliant so far bar the United match. And some fans are getting carried away and talking about titles, which is absolutely fine. Much rather talking about titles than relegation.

For me the only must this season is qualifying for the CL. It is so important for the next step and getting better players, renewing contacts etc.

So basically the question is would you sign for 4th now? Or would you rather roll the dice for 1st, 2nd or 3rd?
Without a doubt I’d sign it.
If signing for 4th means getting it now, then Im signing baby.

I have a question in return for you though. I think the general consensus is that Arteta's head is on the line if we dont make top 4 this season. Do we consider moving that criteria up, to finishing 3rd or 2nd if we bottle those positions later on in the season but still finish 4th?

Nah. We’ve had an incredibly favourable run in, we’re good and maybe I’m underrating us but there will be hard times like in all seasons when the schedule gets rough. Just like last season people shouldn’t have overreacted as they did given our run in this season in the other sense we should be a bit more cautious.

4th is absolutely a good achievement this season given our level of squad and experience level. You still wouldn’t say we have a squad better than Chelsea’s or Liverpool’s or maybe even Tottenham’s, and United’s is of similar level, so finishing 4th is clearly punching above our weight.

Taneruit

Established Member

Player:Zinchenko
Torn.

Or actually not torn. I want to take us this title-race serious as long as possible. You never know what happens and Top 4 is an automatic consequence of having that mindset.

Especially now, because finishing outside of Top 4 with 21 points after 8 games is a historic bottle-job. Don't have the numbers, but I don't think any side managed to do so.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

Would take significant investment in January, treating it like a summer window .When is the last time that has happened?

I am sure there were people at the club supportive of it happening but are there significant examples? I can't think of many without going back to Wenger's time.

How many times we been in this position?

Going back to the Wenger years when we did challenge we didn’t need investment and had a more settled squad.

Put bids in for Leao and Neves. Let’s get it on.

razörist

Soft With The Ladies, Hard With The Mes

Would take 4th right now, we’re an injury to Partey away from falling apart and we all know its going to happen again.

Jasard

Forum Issue Troubleshooter

What are the financial differences between 2nd and 3rd? Potentially better commercially? Slightly better pull for players? I imagine you spend more on bonuses / new contracts etc though.

Btw, didn't expect this conversation to even be happening at this point so.. that's nice

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

@SA Gunner The only reason you consider sacking Mikel is if the team bottle it again towards the end of the season.

You’d be able to argue that he’s just leaning on getting better players every year but fails to give that extra 10% that you want from a manager when his players really need it. Even then it would just be a cause of concern rather than a reason to sack, the club are all in on him and I think all they want is that CL revenue, for now.

I think it’d be a worry if we were to finish behind one of United/Sp**s/Chelsea considering the advantages we have in terms of stability and how many years and £ into the process we are.

El Duderino

That's, like, your opinion, man.
Of course you take it now.

Just like last season a lot of us would have taken a 5th place finish from the start of the season. Context matters.

We bottled 4th, it was in our hands and we let it slip for a variety of reasons.

Just because you would've taken 5th at the start doesn't mean you can't be critical with our inability to hold on to that UCL spot when the wind was blowing our way.

The squad looks a bit paper thin in a couple of spots, mainly wings and DCM. If you address those, well... the title could be up for grabs if City's form somehow falls of a cliff.

Second sure looks doable now.

This is the kind of situation our business model should revolve around, keeping a competitive enough squad that we can pounce if we feel Liverpool, City, Chelsea or even United are caught transitioning their squads.

Top Bottom