Would you want to replace Vieira with Gerrard ?

Discussion in 'Arsenal Talk' started by Jose_Reyes_2005, Jul 14, 2004.

?

Would you wanna sell Vieira and get Gerrard ?

1. Yes - Gerrard is younger, it will be a fresh new change, and he can give more to the side

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No - Patrick is the better defensive midfielder

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. slapz

slapz New Member Trusted

Why stop there? :p

2. Spike

Spike New Member Trusted

I wouldn't like to see Gerrard take Viera's place. Gerrards got talent but he cannot match Viera.

Second, I don't think Viera will leave, I heard him say he won't wear any other shirt apart from Arsenals.

It'll be a shock if he leaves.

3. Henry IV

Henry IV New Member

Replace Vieira with Gerrard!? Are you serious!?

4. EJub

EJub New Member Elite

5. AlexH

AlexH New Member

Gerrard might not be as good as Vieira at the moment, but he does have time on his side. I desperately don't want to lose Paddy, but as one of the scum journalists whipping up this media frenzy pointed out, he is 28 and his value is only going to decline...if he does go for Real, Arsène can get some up and coming new star (as he did with Paddy originally) and mould him into our new midfield boss. Hope it doesn't come to that, but its something to think about.

6. Sol man

Sol man New Member

No way do we want Gerrard to replace Paddy.

7. Jose_Reyes_2005

Jose_Reyes_2005 New Member Trusted

Guys, i totally agree with you - but you have to remember that Vieira is 28 now - Gerrard is what ? 24 ?

When Vieira was 24 .... was he as good as Gerrard is now ?

For now, Vieira is the better midfielder, i agree, but i dont think he can mantain the standards he has set for a defensive midfielder in the epl in 2 years time when he's 30 ....

So we have 2 options

A. Cash in on paddy before it gets too late. we either get 30 Million for him now or nothing when he retires.

B. Stay loyal to Patrick just like he has for us. Screw the money, he can stay at the club and retire at the club.

personally, I would go with B.
    BUT i just cant help thinking about Gerrard's age compared to Vieira's ....

8. Soler

Soler New Member Elite

You know that DM's keep going strong until they're in their mid-30s, like Mauro Silva or Didier Deschamps?

9. thegame24

thegame24 New Member

"When Vieira was 24 .... was he as good as Gerrard is now ? "

When Vieira was 24 i think he had one of his best seasons at Arsenal, was far better than Gerrard is now.

Gerrard and Vieira there is no comparison, Vieira takes it with ease.

10. KingReyes

KingReyes New Member Trusted

Are we certain that Gerrard will be where Vieira is now at 28?? Nothing is certain.

11. kazu

kazu New Member Elite

hahaha! no!!!!

12. A.M.A.G.

A.M.A.G. New Member

I won't lie, year in year out, these rumors pop up, then disappear, but they still make my stomach do little back flips....

NO WAY i'd want to see Vieira go... not this year at least... but fact is... its a business...

So lets say Vieira wants to leave... lets hope its after we've already identified some jewel of a replacement... then we could cash in...

but right now... the thought of him leaving makes me want to vomit with fret... :(

but once again... we're just going to have to wait out the pre-season

and you know what Arsenal should do... every time Real starts this ****, we should start saying we want to bring in a "galactico" of our own... but the thing about Real's squad is that... anything from their team that we WOULD'VE wanted is on the wrong side of their peak... if anyone saw them last year they would know that their really isn't anyone at Real that I think Arsène would seriously consider :(

13. dafish

dafish New Member

it depends on when ashburton grove is going to be completed for me. i'd love to have paddy stay on for the rest of his career given that he doesn't set us back fanancially. honestly between sol, paddy, pires and henry they could sink any other team into recievership with only 30000 seats...

i'd take cash if the oppurtunity comes. but given that we have a new stadium on the rise, i lean towards the keep paddy forever and ever and ever side. :mrgreen:

14. thegame24

thegame24 New Member

Ahburton is gonna be done for 2006/07 season

15. Arnie

Arnie New Member

Until the Euros, i would have said Yes. But now i Know gerrard isn't that good in a team that is challenging for major honours and where he doesn't have to carry every other players becauyse they are not upto hi standards

16. Sonic Youth

Sonic Youth New Member

i can't believe 7 people voted 'yes'
    gerrard isn't in the same class as vieira
    and he isn't even that much younger, he'll never be as good as vieira
    and most importantly
    vieira is a gooner and gerrard a scouser

17. Gurgen

Gurgen New Member Elite

How about.....NO

18. Gurgen

Gurgen New Member Elite

No he will have to agree with Real Madrid himself.

19. AFCG7

AFCG7 New Member Elite

Never.
    I wouldnt sell Vieira to sign someone who isnt even near to his class.
    If Vieira wanted to leave then its a different story.. but to say lets sell Vieira and replace him with Gerard.. no way

20. GoonerGurjit

GoonerGurjit New Member Elite

Vieira's an awesome player but I think this would be the only time to get a big fee for him. If we COULD get Gerrard AND Ballack then I would sell Vieira without any hesitation. Otherwise there is nobody to replace him.