• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Wright or Henry?

Who is your favourite Wright or Henry?

• Wrighty

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Henry

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Josjos

As much as I love both, I'm sure if I had to pick my "favourite" (not best), I would be stumped, but I've recently swayed to Wrighty, as good as Henry is, and God knows he's the most talenetd player to ever set foot on Highbury turf, there was something about Ian Wright, something that shone through our medicore attacking football in the 90's like a beacon, and Wrighty, as well as being one of the best finishers I've ever seen, always gave 110%, something on which I cannot say the same as Henry, and he was such a character, he really stood out in my memories of watching us play. Henry sticks out in a team full of genuis's and is level headed and a great ambassador for our club, but does he have the same charisma?

I'm at work, and bored so would value any opinions soon :D

Apologies if this thread was done recently or if i've duffed it up

RocktheCasbah

Established Member
A bit like asking me to choose between the Clash and Led Zeppelin. Both are brilliant.

Thierry is a footballer without equal in my view, he does things that footballers have no right to do. But then so did Wrighty.

Wrighty was my 2nd Arsenal hero (the 1st being Rocky Rocastle), and my favourite player outside of Arsenal when he was at Palace. I think I'd have to go for him, even now when I see him on tellly he just makes me smile. I've met him too. Basically, I think I was young enough to hero-worship him, I don't feel the same way about Thierry Henry.

A

Anonymous

Wrighty is my fave by far. At times henrys arrogance pisses me right off, and the way he goes disappearing in some games as if he doesnt give a ****. Of course he is an amazing player, but my fave is wright. His personality and style was brilliant. It lifted a team, as well as being an amazing player he was a great entertainer and great person off the pitch. I remember him inviting my son to come and have a kick about with him. He always seemed ready for a laugh and ive had a couple of drinks with him after matches back in the early 90's, great person, a character the game really misses, especially arsenal.
And what about his celebrations :p

AFCG7

Established Member
Wrighty.. i just dont feel the same connection with Henry. Wrighty was just too good and he never seemed to have spells where he didnt appear happy on a football pitch.Sure there was disappointment but there was always that great enthusiasm about his game. And i think if he was getting the service from the great players we have now..he'd have much more goals.

zodos

Wrighty is my number 1 Arsenal hero. However I think it's is a bit too early to compare Henry with him. Wait until Henry is done, then with benefit of hindsight we could decide our favourite.
Ian Wright, Wright, wright!!!

Sammer

Established Member
Wrighty for his special commitment to Arsenal.

However, when judging the pure footballing skills, Henry would get my vote.

zodos

AFCG7 said:
Wrighty.. i just dont feel the same connection with Henry. Wrighty was just too good and he never seemed to have spells where he didnt appear happy on a football pitch.Sure there was disappointment but there was always that great enthusiasm about his game. And i think if he was getting the service from the great players we have now..he'd have much more goals.

Oh yes, there was! Remember he handed in a transfer request under that pillock Bruce Rioch? He certainly was unhappy under him. But then, so was I :)

informed1

Wrighty hands down, no question. I like and respect Henry but Wrighty just have that extra sparkle. end of

RocktheCasbah

Established Member
Did anyone read Marc Ollington's article entitled Ian Wrong Wrong Wrong a couple of months back? It had some good points in it. Overall though, you can't knock Wrighty and I won't.

Split

Ian Wright, Wright, Wright!!!

Henry is without a doubt the better player.

But for character and sheer entertainment - toothy smiles, big kidiness, outrageous celebrations he's my fave.

The goal that really sticks in my mind was the one against Everton (i think) when he flicked the ball over the defenders (two of them) heads (twice) and then volleyed it home (a bit like that Gazza goal v Scotland) - Awesome

And the celebration was that one against Man City?(I think?) when he pratically ran the length of the pitch with the biggest, cheekiest grin and his face, throwing his knees up as high as he could. - Brilliant!

Now I've started, I can't stop remembering great Wright goals and celebrations...

Ratinho

Established Member
Difficult one.

It's so rare to find a foreign player who really comes across as loving your club and wearing the shirt with pride, and Henry certainly does that. The arrogance is only a mental state he gets himself into on that pitch anyway,. as he is (so i've heard) a top bloke off the pitch. And the actual football and ability?? The best we've ever had?? The fact that this point could be genuinely debated is testament to how good a player reaching his prime (27-31) right now, has already become.

Now, Wrighty. Arrogant, vicious, brilliant, strong, fast, dirty, clinical, skillful, genius.

Wright is an Arsenal god.

Henry is getting there fast.

RocktheCasbah

Established Member
The winner in the last few minutes at the Lane, when he sprinted the length of the pitch in celebration (93/94)?

The goal in the 93 cup final when he tore off looking like he was gonna start crying?

The "bogle"?

I loved Ian Wright and he was my favourite player when i was younger and im now 19 and feel i know more and I absolutely love Thierry Henry. People say about his arrogance. I love that side of him, because the way he celebrates goal's kissing and patting his badge when he actually means it, stating he loves the club and on one end of season video he said he never thought he would grow to love a club especially when he hasnt grown up supporting them. He is a brilliant all round player, a great goalscorer and you can see what it means to him when Arsenal score even if he doesnt get the goal. I remember when Vieira scored against Chelsea last year at their place and Henry went beserk shouting Arsenal! At the infamous old trafford brawl as things were calming down he walk towards the Manure fans behind the goal pointing at the Arsenal fans and smacking his badge on his shirt! I truely believe he really does love our club and i prefer watching his moments of sheer brilliance.

marco

OneteaminLondon said:
Did anyone read Marc Ollington's article entitled Ian Wrong Wrong Wrong a couple of months back? It had some good points in it. Overall though, you can't knock Wrighty and I won't.

yeah i read it, cant beleive he would slag wright off though saying that it stopped people like kevin campbell getting a go!! thats bullshit campbell was never upto the ablility of wright

henry is a more rounded footballer but as a poacher and having one chance and scoring it wrighty was ur man!
wouldnt mind his adopted son following in his footsteps and coming highbury

gooner#1

They are both good mates and are neighbours to each other !

For me this is a really hard decision but Wrighty is still on top in my view.He carried us in the nineties until Arsène came and transformed us .

zodos said:
Oh yes, there was! Remember he handed in a transfer request under that pillock Bruce Rioch? He certainly was unhappy under him. But then, so was I :)
Bruce Rioch bought Dennis.He in my view is one of Arsenal's most important signings.

Like seb said :
imagine both playing at the same time

It would be awesome to see both of them playing at the same time .

sabret00the

Established Member
Wrighty, eveyyone talks about the Wenger Era, but before that, for me, it weren't about the management for me, it was about a family of people singing "Ian Wright Wright Wright" it was about scoring and saying did you see how i poked that in like Wright, i idolised that mean, he's a ****ing legend.

Mark

Established Member
As much as I loved Wrighty, Henry is a better footballer all-round. Not voting for him as my favourite here as I can't seperate them in that sense, but I'm voting for him as the better player which he undoubtedly is.

Canuck

Established Member
seb_afc said:
imagine both playing at the same time :shock: :D
:shock: is right.

I'd have to agree with many here that Henry is full of skill, but he still lacks the commitment and passion that Wright showed. I too have a sigh everytime Titi makes his pouting face. Footballers are just a different breed these days and it's a rarity when a player comes into the spotlight for being loyal and commited to a team. Some say they are and talk the talk, but seem to have trouble walking the walk. If you know what I mean... :wink:

Latest posts+

Top Bottom