• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

wright-philips to the Arse'

• Thread starter Anonymous
  • Start date
  • Replies 44
  • Views 1,876

patrick42uk

Established Member
Jose_Reyes_2004 said:
Wright Phillips, IMO, is an extraordinary talent, but so is pennant.

I really really think pennant has what it takes to really make an impact on the premiership this season. I've seen him quite a few times for the England Under 21's and i tell you what, he can be as lethal as thierry when he's up for it.

No, thats not an exhaguration. The boy is multi talented and getting SWP before giving pennant a chance to shine is just a waste of money i reckon. If he does not live up to expectations, then by all means, get SWP - but not before giving jermaine a chance, definately not.

if its based on his u-21 performances then i think it is an exaggeration. i have seen quite a few players who have looked sensational at u-21 and other youth levels only to look fairly average on a bigger stage. pennant is one of those. its a huge step up from u-21s to proper competitive football. the crucial way to succesfully make that step up could be having a little bit extra talent-wise than others your age-group or building up experience. pennant should improve once he gets more games within our system, but i doubt it would ever be to an 'henry' or even ljungberg level. for instance can you realistically see pennant scoring 17 in a season? i feel pennant has more dimensions to his game wright-phillips. he comes central to good effect for instance, something which i doubt swp could do as well. pennant ultimately will suit our style better. the only swp can get into our team is as right back IMO because he would be third choice at right mid.

Jose_Reyes_2005

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
if its based on his u-21 performances then i think it is an exaggeration. i have seen quite a few players who have looked sensational at u-21 and other youth levels only to look fairly average on a bigger stage. pennant is one of those.

Based on what ? Pennant has not really been given a run in the side yet so i dont really think any of us can say 'he looks fairly average on a bigger stage' He sure didnt look average playing for Leeds last season, he was actually one of their best players according to most of their fans - and to be honest, it probably wasnt easy to shine when your playing for a team as un-organised and as crap as leeds last season.

He also looked quite lively against Man United in the community shield and impressed eriksson in pre season at the ajax amsterdam tournament. He was simply awsome on his premier league debut against southampton where he scored that hat-trick, and coming on from the bench against charlton last week - he looked pretty decent to me.

I agree with you that obviously u 21 level is different to the 'bigger stage' but you cannot write him off so early, he's only ever started for us once after the loan deal and surely you cannot dismiss him based purely on one start can you ?

can you realistically see pennant scoring 17 in a season?

He's never scored for the England U 21's from over 20 appearances but the amount of assists he has is quite outstanding. He is the sort of player that would get as much joy from an assist as a goal and to be honest i dont care how many goals he scores a season aslong as he's involved in them, and for the england U 21's - he is.

patrick42uk

Established Member
Jose_Reyes_2004 said:
if its based on his u-21 performances then i think it is an exaggeration. i have seen quite a few players who have looked sensational at u-21 and other youth levels only to look fairly average on a bigger stage. pennant is one of those.

Based on what ? Pennant has not really been given a run in the side yet so i dont really think any of us can say 'he looks fairly average on a bigger stage' He sure didnt look average playing for Leeds last season, he was actually one of their best players according to most of their fans - and to be honest, it probably wasnt easy to shine when your playing for a team as un-organised and as crap as leeds last season.

He also looked quite lively against Man United in the community shield and impressed eriksson in pre season at the ajax amsterdam tournament. He was simply awsome on his premier league debut against southampton where he scored that hat-trick, and coming on from the bench against charlton last week - he looked pretty decent to me.

I agree with you that obviously u 21 level is different to the 'bigger stage' but you cannot write him off so early, he's only ever started for us once after the loan deal and surely you cannot dismiss him based purely on one start can you ?

can you realistically see pennant scoring 17 in a season?

He's never scored for the England U 21's from over 20 appearances but the amount of assists he has is quite outstanding. He is the sort of player that would get as much joy from an assist as a goal and to be honest i dont care how many goals he scores a season aslong as he's involved in them, and for the england U 21's - he is.

its opinion, but i thought he was average for leeds. he wasnt the star man there the way he should have been considering leeds were poor enough to be relegated. as i'v said before, if pennant wasnt already ours, his performances at leeds wold not have encouraged wenger to sign him. that said, i havent exactly written him off have i? i'v said he would improve the more games he gets within our system, and i'v also said he would bench an england international in swp. so where exactly have i written him off? all i'v done is suggest a bit more a realistic target for his potential other than the over-exhuberent one that he will be henryesque.

efurze

AFCG7 said:
THats nonsense.. Wenger signing Angulo to play RB..thats the most ridiculous statement.. Angulo could never play RB..there is just no way Wenger would be that stupid.

Uh ... think again. I thought it was pretty well understood around here that Angulo was partially RB cover. Guess not.

link

"I thought he could play right midfield, up front or right back," said Wenger "I thought we had a good deal and the boy was keen to come until he landed."

Feel free to to verify your facts before ridiculing someone else next time.

AFCG7

Established Member
I correct myself then.. if Wenger signed him to cover at RB he definitelyy would be that stupid to put him there.
The only chance of an excuse Wenger has for saying so would be if we were to go down to 10 men in a game, and out of desperation we put Angulo at RB.. i would accept that, but he aint no cover for RB in ordinary circumstances.

patrick42uk

Established Member
AFCG7 said:
I correct myself then.. if Wenger signed him to cover at RB he definitelyy would be that stupid to put him there.
The only chance of an excuse Wenger has for saying so would be if we were to go down to 10 men in a game, and out of desperation we put Angulo at RB.. i would accept that, but he aint no cover for RB in ordinary circumstances.

he played rb a few times for valencia last season i heard.

AFCG7

Established Member
He played RB out of desperation.. because C.Torres got injured during a game on 2 occasions and they had no alternatives on the bench.
We would have to be damn desperate to sign him as cover for RB.

Mark

Established Member
Woah. I completely missed Wenger saying he could play at RB. I doubt he'd be very good there anyway.

jeromelee

I say give JP more chances. From his brief appearances this season he seems really hungry and eager to prove himself. And I think he has performed well so far. There's really no point in bringing SWP in to replace JP cause they both play similarly. JP just needs more first team action. Too bad he's going up against Freddie whose starting to hit form this season.

i woodnt say pennant is better than SWP
but hes got the potential to be

n really...SWP has the comfort of noone really challenging his postion ever since he's emerged

where as pennant had wiltord ljunberg n parlour in his postion...
now dis season is make or break...i sense an injury to ljunberg would ignite this steam engine of ours

hes got what it take IMO and give him a chance n he'll do every bit as well as SWP whos had regular 1st team football.

i remember pennat scoring a hattrick against southhampton 2nd last game 2seasons ago (it was also his full premiership debut, correct me if im wrong)...thats special...somthing SWP hasnt done yet

Chips&CurrySauce

For what its worth, I think Pennant is a more gifted player than SWP. He is more skillfull & passes the ball very well. SWP has his own strengths. Although he is small he is much stronger than Jermaine and he plays without fear. He is far more direct than Pennant. Personally I'd like to see Pennant given a chance, I'm sure he can become a great plaer for us.

ninhoo1

pennant is making great progresss.last time against chalton,he is really shining.so i think he deserve the chance .it seems he is more confident and relaxed on the pitch.

RocktheCasbah

Established Member
Sorry, where is all this Pennant is better than SWP come from?

JP is a player of great potential, but he has to prove this in the PL on a week to week basis throughout a season. When he gets a chance he has to take it. SWP has been doing it week in, week out for City for some time now and whilst he doesn't have the competition that Jermaine does, he has made the right mid position at City his own.

A.Hussain

efurze said:
AFCG7 said:
THats nonsense.. Wenger signing Angulo to play RB..thats the most ridiculous statement.. Angulo could never play RB..there is just no way Wenger would be that stupid.

Uh ... think again. I thought it was pretty well understood around here that Angulo was partially RB cover. Guess not.

link

"I thought he could play right midfield, up front or right back," said Wenger "I thought we had a good deal and the boy was keen to come until he landed."

Feel free to to verify your facts before ridiculing someone else next time.

thanx efurze! 8)

the dawn raids

Established Member
If Pennant performs well in the league cup matches when he gets a full 90 minutes, any chance of a SWP swoop will be remote at best IMO.

Top Bottom