• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Wright-Phillips and Arsenal

• Thread starter Anonymous
  • Start date
  • Replies 72
  • Views 2,559

Chips&CurrySauce

People are seriously getting carried away. SWP is a good player but he is not and never will be world class. He has bundles of energy and runs till he drops, he just lacks that bit of class and technical ability an Arsenal player should have. I think Man City is his level, he isn't good enough for Utd or Chelsea either.

satan_beckham

Chips&CurrySauce said:
People are seriously getting carried away. SWP is a good player but he is not and never will be world class. He has bundles of energy and runs till he drops, he just lacks that bit of class and technical ability an Arsenal player should have. I think Man City is his level, he isn't good enough for Utd or Chelsea either.

i disargee,he is surely the type of player we need,full of motivation,energy like toure..If u say he lack class and technical ability then i would like to ask u if parlour,gilberto and lauren have them..they dont but still do well,so why wright-phillips cant?

Chips&CurrySauce

Satan you have just picked our weakest players and besides Gilberto is a central midfielder, Parlour is not good enough to get into our first eleven and Lauren is a better defender than SWP. When SWP has played right back he hasn't looked at all convincing. If you seriously think he is good enough to get into our first eleven then I have to question your judgment on players. Pennant no doubt has better ability it all depends on whether he can channel his natural talent appropriately

Jinn

Established Member
Him being called 'Wright' asaide, is he the best player we can get for the RM or RB position?

Sentimentality should have nothing to do with it.

reggiepaul

Wow the inaccuracy here is amazing and so many fall for it.

He is not a right back he is a right wing player. City play an attacking 5-3-2 where wright phillips fills in as a wing back on the right, meaning he is a right sided midfielder operating in a tunneling "christmas tree" (an old expression) formation. Keegan always plays an attacking game no matter what formation he puts through, since he's totally immune to putting out defensive formations.

So basically if a player appears to be the last person on the right, doesn't immediately mean he is right back. You need to check the formation for that.

As for him coming to Arsenal I think we have plenty of other players who have operated in more experienced surroundings who will come first. It's a massively mute point at the moment. This is one of the reasons why people don't see him as a right back because he wasn't operating as such, he was playing in front of a flat back 3 - in a traditional keegan attacking game.

Pennant is a greater player. The players Pennant has around him lately don't do him very much justice but then again Pennant has been groomed at Arsenal. So we could be seeing something more so from Pennant very soon and also Shaun Wright Phillips too but at Arsenal? I think Wenger will pick someone else before that. We've been associated with most of the prodigies around the world lately, so it's a little naive to be giving the sky sports talking point highlight of the week world class praise right now.

RocktheCasbah

Established Member
reggiepaul said:
Pennant is a greater player.

Is he? I think Shaun's proven himself over a season with City and even at the end of last season. Jermaine' s not really done that at Leeds. It ain't like City haven't been struggling either..

reggiepaul

Yeah I do think Pennant is the greater player but he has that question mark over his head and he has to fight for his place. When Ashley Cole arrived in Silvinho's absence I was surprised at how hard Cole fought for that place - now the situation with Pennant isn't the same but there are similarities. Pennant has got Freddie to fight now in that place. Pennant can also play left too so there is more to that plus Pennant has proven himself (although not consistently) within an Arsenal team too when needed.

Wright-Phillips is an excellent player but given the time, although he will excel internationally in the England team there will be a lot of foreign imports arriving towards England who will favour the drift we're getting towards a more continental game now - Wright-Phillips will need to better than them.

At present Pennant has the edge with the diverse amount of experience and moments of genius he has shown but in the Cole scenario, they will both need to fight for that place amongst many different means of competition.

jc8gooner

SWP is a class act in my opinion. I would like to see him at Arsenal in a few years time when injuries catch up with Freddie. Better than Pennant.

pamilih

jc8gooner said:
SWP is a class act in my opinion. I would like to see him at Arsenal in a few years time when injuries catch up with Freddie. Better than Pennant.

Injuries or Real Madrid departure?

kanooo

Wright-Phillips is good but I still don't think he's that good. I agree that he has improved a lot though - this season. He was good in defending as well which he is not known for - against Utd.

But I still think he's not good enough. IMO, He's still got a lot more to prove.

lewdikris

Established Member
I like the little fella a lot - but whether or not he's any better than Pennant is a very difficult question to answer. They're pretty much stylistic replicas (nippy tricky midget wingers) of one another - but i've seen a lot more on-pitch commitment in WP, who's a lot like Freddie in his constant constant running, whereas Pennant's settled into first team football a lot quicker, Wright-Phillips is a veteran in comparison to him. Which bodes best for the future i'm not entirely sure.

Whatever, there's no place for both of them at Arsenal - and quite probably not for EITHER of them...

RocktheCasbah

Established Member
True. I don't understand how people can say SWP has no or limited technical ability though, have you watched the way he runs with the ball, the way he hits a ball? I think there's a strong case for Shaun as their player of the year cos he seems to be MOTM whenever I read a report about City.

Latest posts

Top Bottom