• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Wright vs Henry

Thierrymarron

Who's better?
Obviously i mean Wrighty when he was at the hieght of his powers.
Also who would be our fantasy strike force? My vote goes to Thierry and Ian!

wrighty08

ian wright is my all time favourite so far but u can't really compare wrighty and henry.they're obviously different type of player.wrighty is an all out striker and henry is more like a team player,he driblles,pasts and of course assists more than wrighty.

but i do agree with u about our fantasy strike.it has to be no14 and no8(ian wright of course)

Thierrymarron

I think by and large Wright never got the acclaim that he deserved! If he had the kind of attacking minded manager like Wenger when he first joined Arsenal then he would have been spectacular, His Indian Summer when Wenger took over was great.
They are different types of players but wrighty had that nose for goal that we lack still to this day, he was a fox in the box!

A

Anonymous

Alexone234 said:
Wrighty was perfect for his time, while Henry is perfect for now.

I agree. He was perfect for the Graham team - score on or two from the few chances we would get.

But he wasnt perfect for the Wenger system, due to his tendency of losing the ball and going missing.

Wrighty was a legend, but is not in Henrys league.

RocktheCasbah

Established Member
I think a peak of his powers Dennis alongside Thierry would have been unstoppable. Wrighty could have kept the bench warm.

mood

Dream partnership. but Dennis at his prime and Henry would be a hell of a danger too.

AFCG7

Established Member
Wrighty would have got much more goals if he was playing in such an attacking lineup of Bergkamp Pires Ljungberg Henry.

Hard to pick one or the other.. i wish we had both in the same time period.

RocktheCasbah

Established Member
AFCG7 said:
Wrighty would have got much more goals if he was playing in such an attacking lineup of Bergkamp Pires Ljungberg Henry.

Hard to pick one or the other.. i wish we had both in the same time period.

Where would you fit Wright in with that four?

thegame24

Established Member
---------Henry----Wright---------

-------------Bergkamp---------

----Pires--------------------Ljungberg---

----------------Vieira-----------------

could work

AFCG7

Established Member
i was referring to the attacking abilities and creatinon of goals in today's squad.. but if Wrighty was around the lineup would have to be

Ljungberg Vieira Pires

Bergkamp

Wright Henry

wrighty08

bergkamp playing just behind henry and wright will really destroy any defence in this world.. :D

and with paddy,bobby and ljungberg behind bergkamp,it just'll be even better

Pat's missing Gerbil

i think if you asked the question to Ian Wright by all accounts he thinks TH14 is the dogs danglies. Ive seen him answer the question on television and IW.W.W thinks the world of TH. Do you also remember TH14 saying he watched videos of all IWWW to learn from him so that he could score more.

I loved IWWW as all arsenal fans did, but TH is the greatest forward I have seen play football in 30 years. We are Privileged. TH is the only player who has ever made me laugh out loud because of the pure beauty and joy of his play. We are Privileged. I say remember every game that you see this man play. You will tell your grandchildren. We are Privileged and he loves this club. I believe that he will stay with us for ever.

The Mini

Henry in effect is a better than Wright, he scored 100 goals for the Arsenal in fewer games, and goal scorers is a strikers job.

gypped

Well, I think the main difference is that Wrighty was one of the greatest players ever to play in England. Henry is one the greatest players that ever lived.

leongsh

Between the 2, Thierry Henry is definitely the better player. He is a superb provider and a superb finisher, whereas Ian Wright is a finisher extraordinaire.

I see it this way:
Thierry Henry - the greatest forward that Arsenal ever has
Ian Wright - the greatest fox-in-the-box that Arsenal ever had.

When Thierry Henry asked for a fox-in-the-box after the 2001 FA Cup final, my thoughts were immediately of Ian Wright (in his prime at Arsenal). The chances created by the attacking play of the midfield and forward line would have been gorged by Wrighty.

As some people have written, a forward and midfield combo of Thierry Henry and Ian Wright, Dennis Bergkamp playing deep, with Robert Pires and Freddie Ljungberg on the wings, and Patrick Vieira in the centre, would be a brilliant irresistable attacking force and an absolute nightmare for any defense in the world.

There are a few things that people forget about Wrighty:

1. He has pace and strength. In a long ball/direct style of game, the striker must have the pace and strength to power his way through. He excelled in it.

2. He has the technical skills too. Remember what he did to the Everton defense and Neville Southall - juggling the ball through them to score. Some of his goals were spectacular too.

3. He is a great finisher. Take into consideration that during the George Graham years, goal-scoring chances made by Arsenal were few and far between and yet you could always rely on Wrighty to finish the chances that came. Think about it carefully in the proper context and look at the number of goals scored and his other scoring stats for Arsenal - it's absolutely awesome! Thierry Henry is only keeping up with Wrighty's scoring rate.

A

Anonymous

wright/henry

you seem to forget that wright played under ****, defensive managers, in a **** defensive team, yet still managed buckets of goals. hnery is playing in a very very very attadking team, hence has more chances. henry and wright both created chances out of nothing, but wright did score alot more chances, where henry creates more for other players. wright/henry would be a dream partnership, if you put any 2 strikers that have played for the same club at any time throughout history arsenal would come up with the best partnership = henry and wright.
this is better than cantona/best or any other partnership !!

wright was not a fox in the box, that is the biggest load of s**t i have heard. think of his goals against........swindon (away 1994), auxerre (away 1995), everton (home 1993) and leeds (away 1996)both similar goals = chip over one defender, then another, then over the keeper. what about vs southampton (first game bergy scored in) when he kept doing turns before slotting past keeper !!

these goals were all genious, and by no means fox in the box goals.
jeffers and Van N are fox in the boxes, and have you ever seen them score goals like wrighty has scored ??? NO !!

Top Bottom