• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Wright vs Henry

A

Anonymous

too "THEGAME24"......change your pic of maradona you **** loving prik !!! people like you are the reason why arsenals support is such an embarressment

arsenal the "herd" No Surrender

Senght

hatespurs said:
too "THEGAME24"......change your pic of maradona you **** loving prik !!! people like you are the reason why arsenals support is such an embarressment

arsenal the "herd" No Surrender

2 words "you suck"

Chips&CurrySauce

Obviously Henry is the more talented player but Wrighty was also a very under rated player in this country, he never got the recognition he deserved on the international stage. Wrighty was definately the ebetter finisher and he wasn't just a fox in the box, he of course scored tap ins, headers etc, but he laso scored loads of goals outside of the box, loads of chips, drives and curlers!

IW8

Without IW8's goals there would never had been a TH14, as AFC would probably have been a mediocre mid table team. We would never had attracted people like DB10 and AW.

Having said that I will reluctantly agree TH14 is the better player. However, this will NEVER diminish my love for the man who scored an awful lot of the goals in games where we won 1-0. TH14 will quite rightly become an AFC legend, but for me IW8 is THE LEGEND.

I've said it many times before to anyone who will listen: AW's only mistake was to let IW8 go, he should have let him finish his career with the club who he loved surrounded by fans who idolised him. If he had then many of the 0-0 draws of that season would probably have been 1-0. That season was also the only time AW lost his cool with the press, when they continually asked him about the draws, AW would tersely say that he wanted to go. We know and even AW knows that wasn't true, all he needed was 20 mins in the FA Cup final and a gentle arm around him.

IW8

Laxness said:
Was Wright ever regarded as the BEST PLAYER IN THE GALAXY?

He was by the Gooners who were around to see him play. Don't be so disrespectful to the man who is partly responsible for youngsters like you wanting to support God's own Team

RocktheCasbah

Established Member
I loved Wrighty I really did, but if you think about the fact that even Tony Adams questioned whether we'd win the league with Wrighty up front. Then there's the fact that despite Wrighty's start to the double season of 97/98, the Double was won by a team that didn't include him, the unbeaten surge for the double running alongside an injury ridden five months for Ian.
Arsène must have considered that before letting him go, and this wasn't a 21 or even a 27 year old anymore, Wrighty was 34 and not getting any better. Besides which, Wrighty wanted to leave for first team football.
It was sad and, I think, wrong for this Arsenal legend not to finish his career at Highbury, but that's what he wanted to do. Don't forget he had wanted to go to Benfica in the middle of that double season!

All that said, he was fantastic and I remember him being my favourite non Arsenal player whilst he was at Palace. For the longest time, he was the brightest spark in a team full of robots... and Merse! And he scored the best goal I've ever been priveledged to witness at home to Everton. He was a goalscoring genius, but was never the team player Thierry is. At his peak he would have been fantastic with Thierry but when we let him go, he was past it. That doesn't diminish in any way his contribution to the modern day Arsenal, or his place in my affections.

IW8

OneteaminLondon said:
I loved Wrighty I really did, but if you think about the fact that even Tony Adams questioned whether we'd win the league with Wrighty up front. Then there's the fact that despite Wrighty's start to the double season of 97/98, the Double was won by a team that didn't include him, the unbeaten surge for the double running alongside an injury ridden five months for Ian.
I was referring to the 98/99 season when there were far too many goalless draws.
It was sad and, I think, wrong for this Arsenal legend not to finish his career at Highbury........
A point we can agree on!
......but that's what he wanted to do. Don't forget he had wanted to go to Benfica in the middle of that double season!
May be that's when AW had really decided he no longer needed IW8. Especially with that loyal goal scoring genius of the future "Anelka".
He was a goalscoring genius, but was never the team player Thierry is.
I beg to differ, football is a team game and IW8 quite often when the team weren't playing all that well he would score the goal that gave the TEAM a lift. I will agree that IW8 didn't get as many assists as TH14, BUT he was the strikers "striker" in so much his selfishness (like Anelka's who also played in that 98 double season and was the main reason why IMO IW8 HAD to leave AFC) was the reason why he got a mediocre AFC so many 1-0 wins.
......but when we let him go, he was past it.
There are people on this forum who would say the same about DB10, but used sparingly he can still turn a game. I think the same could have been said about IW8.
That doesn't diminish in any way his contribution to the modern day Arsenal, or his place in my affections.
HEAR HEAR :lol:

Sin-gunner

You can't compare TH14 to IW8, they are 2 diffrent kind of player.
Anelka have a more similar playing style to IW8.

IW8 is one of the reason we are sucessful in the George Graham era. 8)

godfather

thegame24 said:
---------Henry----Wright---------

-------------Bergkamp---------

----Pires--------------------Ljungberg---

----------------Vieira-----------------

could work

not!!!
wot about the defence? and i don't think ljunberg will fit in that position, for me Titi and bergkamp up front is the best.

A

Anonymous

too member IW8

"I was referring to the 98/99 season when there were far too many goalless draws."

im afraid mate you dont have a clue what your chatting about. you said wrighty saved us from many 0-0 draws, and that if he had of played more we would of turned 0-0's into 1-0's. ian wright did not play for us in the 98/99 season !!! he left at the end of the double winning year in 97/98 !! so with wrighty not playing for us in 99, how can you say that he would of saved us 0-0 draws ????? get your facts staight.
also whilst wrighty played for us, we had more 0-0 draws than any year (not because of wrighty, but because of crap managers - graham/rioch). in 98/99 we scored more goals that season than we had ever scored in the last 50 years !! 117 in all, where as in 1995 we played 6 more league games, but scored only 44 goals. so some how i dont think that we had too many scoreless draws in 98/99. once again, do your homework !!!

arsenal till i die

IW8

HOMEWORK! for hatespurs
Aug 22 Liverpool 0-0
Aug 29 Charlton 0-0
Sept 9 Chelsea 0-0
Sept 12 Leics 1-1
Sept 15 Lens 1-1

OK I've included the score draws, but at the time I can remember thinking "I wish IW8 was still playing for us, to pop up and change those draws to a win". After the draw with Lens we did beat Man Utd 3-0 BUT then we ended up losing 1-0 to Sheffield Wednesday for goodness sake. For someone like me who worshipped IW8 those first few games of that season were awful. I know one man doesn't make a team but my goodness those first few games left me thinking he's left a hell of a gap.

So yes to you I might be talking rubbish, and yes I did say 0-0's instead of draws, but it doesn't take away how I felt at the beginning of that season. Of course the arguement against all this is that even if he had played the results would have been the same, as he had lost a lot but he never lost that killer instinct or his eye for a goal scoring opportunity, so we'll never know.

As I said in my original post AW was constantly asked about IW8 during that period and for once (and it is the only time) I was on their side.

wrighty08

Originally posted by Laxness:
Was Wright ever regarded as the BEST PLAYER IN THE GALAXY?

He was by the Gooners who were around to see him play. Don't be so disrespectful to the man who is partly responsible for youngsters like you wanting to support God's own Team

yeah..!!totally agree with IW8 there.don't be so disrespectful.. :evil: ..i surely think he's the best in the galaxy that time.and i agree that we miss him alot the next season.and yeah..what a "loyal" player his replacement was.

We know and even AW knows that wasn't true, all he needed was 20 mins in the FA Cup final and a gentle arm around him

really what i was thinking at that time.. :cry:

A

Anonymous

wrighty

ian was a god to all gooners. he was never given a fair chance for england. he was a key member of the team for the world cup qualifications for USA 94, but of course we didnt make it. i cant but help think that if england made that world cup, wright would have been a key figure featuring alongside names like stoichkov,romario,baggio who were all made famous by that world cup.
in euro 96 wright should of been played with shearer, but its only because the **** loving venables favoured Sp**s that sherringham got the place. if wrighty were given these chances you would think he would of became a household name. but instead it may be poetic justice that such a quality player remained 110% arsenal.

henry today, wright yesterday

Latest posts

Top Bottom