• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Wrighty Calls For Theo Through The Centre

sabret00the

Established Member
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/article2424060.ece" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sp ... 424060.ece</a>

Can't say i disagree, it's time to put someone on the right that can beat their man with skill rather than pace and pick a ball to be played into the centre in the path of a colleague.

Zico

Established Member
Been singing this song for a year. Theo's got little useful skill but, damn, he's fast. Let's use it while it lasts. He can learn to be a midfielder later on when he's old and losing his speed.

HollandGooner

Established Member

Player:Ødegaard
He could be a fearfull partnership upfront specially with Adebayor or Bendtner I guess. combinated pace&strenght.

asajoseph

Established Member
No point playing Theo through the centre until we start controlling games in the middle again.

However, it looks like he's improving the physical strength he'll need to play there - at the start of the season he wasn't ready for this job, and I'm still not sure he is, but I certainly think he's a lot closer than he was.

HollandGooner

Established Member

asajoseph said:
No point playing Theo through the centre until we start controlling games in the middle again.

However, it looks like he's improving the physical strength he'll need to play there - at the start of the season he wasn't ready for this job, and I'm still not sure he is, but I certainly think he's a lot closer than he was.

We could controll it if we have a midfield of Arshavin Fabregas ? Nasri, they are more then capable of keeping the ball in posession that means Theo could go upfront, Theo is never a posession player for us when he is in the squad.

sabret00the

Established Member
asajoseph said:

he's not helping us control teams in the middle third though, so what's the point in keeping him there when we can use his spot for someone that can contribute to controlling the middle third?

asajoseph

Established Member
No, but he does cover the ground between the midfield and the strikers better than Nasri or Cesc have in recent months.

Will Arshavin make enough difference next season, and will Nasri improve enough? I'm not sure yet.

sabret00the

Established Member
asajoseph said:
No, but he does cover the ground between the midfield and the strikers better than Nasri or Cesc have in recent months.

Will Arshavin make enough difference next season, and will Nasri improve enough? I'm not sure yet.
But a typical day in the office for theo is that he gets the ball from out-wide and runs up to the final third, all the time being kept there by the opposition full back and due to the lack of favourable angle, he crosses the ball to no one ultimately gifting them possession. covering the ground seems useless given that fact.

clockwork orange

Blind faith in "LVG filoshophy"
We first need a solid defence (including DMF) before we start comtemplating playing a counterattacking striker (which Theo is my book; mind you I think he's a great counterattacking striker, but wouldn't start him v a defensive team)

HollandGooner

Established Member

clockwork orange said:
We first need a solid defence (including DMF) before we start comtemplating playing a counterattacking striker (which Theo is my book; mind you I think he's a great counterattacking striker, but wouldn't start him v a defensive team)

Its difficult, because football has changed in recent years, specially when you are looking to the 2003-2004 season, how much space our players had behind the defenders from the opposistion.

I think its difficult to play Theo upfront indeed, because most of our opponents our playing a deep lying defence line, so its difficult to penetrate that finall pass to use Theo,s quality the best.

But Theo upfront for me sounds good, that alows the rest of the players in midfield to hold on posession with Arshavin Fabregas ? Nasri maby Rozza.

qs

Established Member
HollandGooner said:
clockwork orange said:

Its difficult, because football has changed in recent years, specially when you are looking to the 2003-2004 season, how much space our players had behind the defenders from the opposistion.

I think its difficult to play Theo upfront indeed, because most of our opponents our playing a deep lying defence line, so its difficult to penetrate that finall pass to use Theo,s quality the best.

But Theo upfront for me sounds good, that alows the rest of the players in midfield to hold on posession with Arshavin Fabregas ? Nasri maby Rozza.

This goes back to a lack of balance, theres no harm in forcing teams to play really deep if we can exploit that. Guys like Arshavin and van Persie can have a field day if we force teams right back.

Theo's still pretty good running at people with the ball, the only way people can deal with him is to muscle him off the ball or foul him. Get Theo into the box and that becomes a very dangerous game for defenders. He'll need to stop being so ****ing honest too though. Sad thing to say but this day in age Theos honesty is tantamount to naivety.

Pepe LeFrits

Established Member
Personally I think both Theo and Arshavin should be playing in attack. Theo shouldn’t necessarily be top of the pecking order but Andrey should be.

Lord Dula

Established Member
asajoseph said:

Arshavin will certainly make as much difference as one player possibly can. Trouble is we need more than that.

hesham

Established Member
The whole Theo on the wing experiment should be over now, he doesnt give us what we need there..

His off ball running has improved alot this season and can be put to good use up top

General

Established Member
I caught a glimpse of the article on the train to work and had to bite my tongue and fork out the 30p for this ****ty paper. He was saying nothing new, just the same old recycled bullshit. Amongst the many things wrong with us at the moment, Theo playing out of position is hardly cause for concern. I would say Cesc in this AM role is one of the biggest tactical ****ups of Wenger's tenure. He talks about replacing Pat yet forgot we allowed an equally competent fighter in Flamini to walk out for free. The article lost all credibility when he said Wenger should've signed Eto'o. Really, If he truly believed the defence was the issue, why did he spend half his time talking about strikers. Stop talking **** Wrighty and tell us something we don't already know.

hackajack

Established Member
Wrighty, gawd love him was great on the pitch, off it he's just another rent-a-mouth. The Theo through the middle seems to be the old 442 mindset again, there's no reason why in a 4231 he shouldn't play from wide a la Ronaldo for ManU (and lately Rooney) but end up anywhere - it's what he did for England.

Unforgiven

Established Member
I still think he would be better on the wing, but more in a 4-3-3 role really wide. He is too compact against defensive teams when he plays on the wing in a 4-4-2.

FunGun

Lord Dula said:
Theo should be used from the bench whether playing upfront or not.
agreed, seems to only have speed mastered, ball control and finishing leaves much to be desired. my way of judging is, would he start weekly in any other of the top 4 clubs?

Latest posts+

Top Bottom