• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Wrighty or Henry?

• Thread starter Anonymous
  • Start date
  • Replies 125
  • Views 3,869

Wright or Henry,whos more of a Arsenal Legend?

• Wright

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Henry

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

USArsenal

H.Y.I.C.
DC Gunner said:
I was merely asking a question about a style of play and not trying to cast a negative. While I enjoyed seeing both of them scoring plentiful of great goals, I like Wright's forward style of play more than Henry's. Additionally I have always felt that Wright was more Overt while Henry seemed calmer "not that is a negative perse". :)

But I can't emphasize more: they are both our players and we should be glad that they are. :twisted:

didnt say you were being negative.. just saying i think it would be impossible to know...

DC Gunner

Established Member
USArsenal said:
DC Gunner said:
I was merely asking a question about a style of play and not trying to cast a negative. While I enjoyed seeing both of them scoring plentiful of great goals, I like Wright's forward style of play more than Henry's. Additionally I have always felt that Wright was more Overt while Henry seemed calmer "not that is a negative perse". :)

But I can't emphasize more: they are both our players and we should be glad that they are. :twisted:

didnt say you were being negative.. just saying i think it would be impossible to know...
OK :) I Was just trying to make my remarks more clear so nobody misunderstands them. 8)

arsenal4life

wer said:
Ian wright is more of a legend than Henry. If Wright is at the same age as Henry when he arrived and had the kind of players Henry has around him he score more goals.

SPOT ON
IMO Wrighty is a better striker cause he was in a mediocre team
not a great team like now

AFCG7

Established Member
LAst Sundays game Wrighty would have shoved JOhn Terry and WIlliam Gallas around and not showed them any respect whatsoever..he would have been all over them for 90 mins and making sure he gave them a hard time, not the other way around like Henry allowed them to.
Thats the difference between the two... Wrighty would have been a right asshole from Chelsea's point of view and that kind of thing forces defenders to make mistakes.
He made things happen no matter how tight the opposition played.. he never shied away from a difficult situation and he embodied the Arsenal character.
Play hard on the pitch , never give up until 90 minutes are over and never hold your head down when things dont go your way.
I'm sorry but i cant say the same for Henry. He is a brilliant player but sometimes when we need him in some games he disappears and looks as if he couldnt be bothered because things arent working for him.
That takes him down a few notches from Wrighty.

USArsenal

H.Y.I.C.
how about this statement/question:

things that Wrighty did in his day that he got away with would have gotten him called for it every time nowadays.... refs are much "stricter" now and he would have gotten booked almost guaranteed...

true or false? (seriously, this is a real question)

qs

Established Member
Right now Wright, barely. By the end of Thierrys career, who knows?

If TH wins the CL with Arsenal he will be it.

Tegh

Established Member
USArsenal said:
Tegh said:
he didn't have as long as Henry has had to establish himself, which makes it even more remarkable.

establish himself how? with Arsenal? the reason I ask is because Wright and Henry scored the same amount of goals for the club in their first season (26).... im not sure what you mean by establish himself...

What i mean, is that Wright broke into professional football later than Henry, therefore he didn't have as much coaching or training as Henry did, since he was playing from like age 13 under Monaco.

So i believe it was harder for Wright, and i'm not saying Henry had it easy, because he didn't, if i remember rightly he had a relatively hard up brining money wise. But what i meant was that Henry had years of training under his belt to hone his skills, whilst Wrighty only played for an amateur side. If he had been in the game earlier, he'd of had more experience and no doubt, have been even better.

What i liked a lot about Wrighty was that he teased the defenders, and really wound them up. No matter who it was, he'd give them a tough time, Henry is nothing like that, and merely lets his football do the talking. That's not a bad thing, but Wrighty let his football and his mouth do the talking, and hence was a defenders worst nightmare, as is Henry. The Utd defense were relieved when Palace rested Wrighty in the FA Cup Final replay, and Pallister and Bruce were amongst the strongest pairing around.

Wrighty had a good solid team to help him, and you can argue that the world-class side now was better than the team of the 90's, although the game's changed a lot, and it's hard to compare.

I feel Wrighty is better because he had it harder, referees always singled him out for punishment.

In answer to your question of Wrighty getting booked for giving defenders hassle USArsenal, i don't think so. That would be extremely petty, it's a contact sport, so why can't you give people a bit of verbal? He knew how to wind defenders up, and they hated it. Like one person said, no matter how bad we're playing, Wrighty would always be over the defense, giving them stick with his feet, or with his mouth. Henry is either on fire, or quiet, he doesn't wind the opposition up, he hugs them. What the hell was he doing consoling Souness when we played Newcastle? He's the captain now, and that might of gone to his head, and made him think of himself as some kind of fair play ambassador whilst he's on the pitch. It's all well and good doing it at the end of the match, but not during. It's all about Arsenal whilst you're on the pitch, and sticking to the game in hand, f*ck the opposition. Wrighty would of been giving the defenders stick about the sending off, winding them up, and getting up their nose.

He was a clever player, and an awesome one. He was an excellent striker, with a team that could be described as ''not so talented as the Arsenal of now'', which makes it remarkable how well he did, as well as the fact he broke into Pro-Football late. His character more than anything does it for me, he knew how to wind the opponents up, how to spur on his team-mates. He oozed charisma, quality, and cheek, and his character must of been electric in the dressing room.

He was loved by his team-mates and the fans.

AFCG7

Established Member
People who never experienced Arsenal when Wrighty played wouldnt understand the kind of effect he left on the fans.
There is no way you can compare the two if you never saw Wrighty in his prime, went to the games and experienced it.

I think thats the best way of putting it.
To those who werent around when Wrighty played for us you missed out big time.
To those who are around now when Henry is playing, appreciate it because we may never see another like him in the Arsenal shirt.

Adam

Established Member
Wright is the bigger legend because a 'legend' is someone you talk of in past tense.

Hilal

Not necessarily. Thierry has already achieved a legendary status worth of most players, and in my opinion will surpass Wright as a legend once the record is broken and if he leads us into the new stadium.

Tegh

Established Member
Adam said:
Wright is the bigger legend because a 'legend' is someone you talk of in past tense.

That's a good point.

I read the News Of The World today, and it was quoting Henry on his thoughts on breaking Wright's record. He seemed very arrogant, saying how his would be a better achievement etc. It really pissed me off.

I don't have time to type the quotes out as i'm going out, but maybe someone else does.

Exiled In Newcastle

Established Member
Can't understand why there's even a debate. As a Londoner who knows exactly what Wrighty meant to the crowd and all that guff in terms of who's the bigger legend it's got to be Henry by a country mile!

It's fair to say that their goals/game ratios are broadly similar. Even more so if you remove the League Cup from Wrighty's figures, but as it was actually a competition people wanted to win in his days that wouldn't be fair. So their hit rate is equal.

BUT, they scored the same number in teams that played widely different football. Wenger's team scores more, but it's also built around having more scorers. Wrighty's Arsenal had one plan - get the ball to Wrighty and he'll score.

Then there's assists. But to be fair to Wrighty we'll not talk about them.

Although different in their style and physique, mentally the striker Wright always reminded me of was Supermac. A top, top striker who was even better in his own mind, but needed that absolute belief to prosper. You take the confidence (the cockiness if you like) away from that type and they're gone. But there is one big draw back to that type of player - you have to create a team to play for them, because otherwise they'll not work.

I'll take the slating but for me, much as I loved him, signing Wrighty was the worst bit of business George Graham ever did.

At the time Alan Smith had two Golden Boots in three seasons. Merse was an established player and blossoming up front, whilst Kevin Campbell was bursting on the scene. It seems funny now but at the time Campbell was being put forward by many as the England number 9 for the next decade. Shearer was just mentioned as an afterthought. And that's be the press in general, not Arsenal hype.

Who knows what would have happened to Merse's career, but Alan Smith only ever scored a handful more goals and Campbell never became more than Wrighty's celebration partner. It's not like we needed another goal scorer, we'd just knocked 6 past Austria Vienna and had scored 19 in 9 league games.

Yes without Wright we wouldn't have won the cup's we did in 93/94, but maybe without Wright we could have continued to challenge for the league.

Wrighty was brilliant at what he did, but in 50 years when people are looking at the 1990's and looking at the players of that decade they want to call true legends of the club then unless the ethos that has done Arsenal so well since the 1920's has totally changed then Adams, Bould, Dixon, Winterburn and Seaman will be the first five mentioned. Wrighty will get a mention, then a but...

gunnertilldeath

Established Member
if henry stays with us and doesnt leave the club under unfavourable circumstances, he has every chance of becoming the greatest arsenal player of all time. some might even argue that he already is. for me, the only reason why i cannot crown him greater than wright or even the great tony himself is that i have not seen him exit the club yet. the manner of exit is always key in the way a player is regarded at a club. tony was captain at a reduculously young age and lived and breathed arsenal. he even said that his love for arsenal was one of his biggest motivators in striving to beat his alcoholism. but if henry continues at the rate he's been at in recent seasons and shows the leadership capability that the captaincy of arsenal demands, in another 2 seasons, there is doubt in my mind that our greatest ever player will be french and not english.

Aussie

Established Member
ExiledInNewcastle said:
Can't understand why there's even a debate. As a Londoner who knows exactly what Wrighty meant to the crowd and all that guff in terms of who's the bigger legend it's got to be Henry by a country mile!

It's fair to say that their goals/game ratios are broadly similar. Even more so if you remove the League Cup from Wrighty's figures, but as it was actually a competition people wanted to win in his days that wouldn't be fair. So their hit rate is equal.

BUT, they scored the same number in teams that played widely different football. Wenger's team scores more, but it's also built around having more scorers. Wrighty's Arsenal had one plan - get the ball to Wrighty and he'll score.

Then there's assists. But to be fair to Wrighty we'll not talk about them.

Although different in their style and physique, mentally the striker Wright always reminded me of was Supermac. A top, top striker who was even better in his own mind, but needed that absolute belief to prosper. You take the confidence (the cockiness if you like) away from that type and they're gone. But there is one big draw back to that type of player - you have to create a team to play for them, because otherwise they'll not work.

I'll take the slating but for me, much as I loved him, signing Wrighty was the worst bit of business George Graham ever did.

At the time Alan Smith had two Golden Boots in three seasons. Merse was an established player and blossoming up front, whilst Kevin Campbell was bursting on the scene. It seems funny now but at the time Campbell was being put forward by many as the England number 9 for the next decade. Shearer was just mentioned as an afterthought. And that's be the press in general, not Arsenal hype.

Who knows what would have happened to Merse's career, but Alan Smith only ever scored a handful more goals and Campbell never became more than Wrighty's celebration partner. It's not like we needed another goal scorer, we'd just knocked 6 past Austria Vienna and had scored 19 in 9 league games.

Yes without Wright we wouldn't have won the cup's we did in 93/94, but maybe without Wright we could have continued to challenge for the league.

Wrighty was brilliant at what he did, but in 50 years when people are looking at the 1990's and looking at the players of that decade they want to call true legends of the club then unless the ethos that has done Arsenal so well since the 1920's has totally changed then Adams, Bould, Dixon, Winterburn and Seaman will be the first five mentioned. Wrighty will get a mention, then a but...

Intresting views.

Lot of if's and maybe's however.

In 50 years time when people are looking at Arsenal in the 1990's IMO they will think of Ian Wright just about before anyone else. He was the player that got the goals and got them in spectacular fashion. Thats what people remember.

Aussie

Established Member
As for who is the bigger Arsenal legend. Its Henry. Barring walking out on the club on a free to the yids chances are he will be remembered as the greatest ever Arsenal player. Record goal scorer by a long way by the time he finishes. Great goals, loyal to the club and captain of a few title winning teams he has the potential to do things no other Arsenal players have even got close to doing ever before.

And im sure he's got a world player of the year in him somewhere.

Exiled In Newcastle

Established Member
Aussie - I couldn't disagree more about what people remember. Maybe you're right for the spuds, but Arsenal have always been different.

For every Bastin in our history there's a Male and Hapgood.

Arsenal's history is about grafters who give 110% not (with all due respect to Wrighty) fancy dans. The back 5 will be remembered far more than Wrighty will because they did far more for the club and that's what it boils down to.

towelie

ExiledInNewcastle said:
Aussie - I couldn't disagree more about what people remember. Maybe you're right for the spuds, but Arsenal have always been different.

For every Bastin in our history there's a Male and Hapgood.

Arsenal's history is about grafters who give 110% not (with all due respect to Wrighty) fancy dans. The back 5 will be remembered far more than Wrighty will because they did far more for the club and that's what it boils down to.

ah but here you're debating a completely different issue - who makes the greatest contribution to the team? in my opinion, if you're being fair to wright then you have to give him credit for doing what no one could do as well for arsenal at the time. while the 'grafters' deserve the plaudits - and the 5 you mentioned are sure to be immortalised - i really don't think that means wright's legend status should be followed by a but...

Top Bottom