• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Wrighty or Henry?

• Thread starter Anonymous
  • Start date
  • Replies 125
  • Views 3,870

Wright or Henry,whos more of a Arsenal Legend?

• Wright

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Henry

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Exiled In Newcastle

Established Member
towelie - the pat answer to that is that the whole team was geared purely to Wright scoring the goals. We didn't have a goalscoring problem at all before he signed with Smith actual holder of two Golden boots in the last three years. But after Wrighty signed we DID have a scoring problem.

Exiled In Newcastle

Established Member
There's obviously only one person you can blame for tactics and thats the gaffer.

But what I'm saying is that Wright is overemphasised by many and he wasn't a good signing for us. Before he signed - 2 titles in three years. After - never a flicker of a challenge 'til Wenger arrived (and Wrighty got injured...).

I don't blame Wrighty at all. He was there to do a job and did it superbly. But we should never have signed him.

RocktheCasbah

Established Member
I've never, ever heard anyone say that before. But kudos to you, I know you're not stating that for effect. But I don't agree, even though the evidence would appear to back you (and Tony Adams) up.

Tegh

Established Member
RocktheCasbah said:
I've never, ever heard anyone say that before. But kudos to you, I know you're not stating that for effect. But I don't agree, even though the evidence would appear to back you (and Tony Adams) up.

Likewise, i can't believe you said all that about Wrighty, but that's your opinion. It's not Wright's fault we never ''challenged for the league'' after signing him (as you put it), look how many goals he scored? You can't ask for more than that.

A

Anonymous

ExiledInNewcastle said:
There's obviously only one person you can blame for tactics and thats the gaffer.

But what I'm saying is that Wright is overemphasised by many and he wasn't a good signing for us. Before he signed - 2 titles in three years. After - never a flicker of a challenge 'til Wenger arrived (and Wrighty got injured...).

I don't blame Wrighty at all. He was there to do a job and did it superbly. But we should never have signed him.

We should have never signed ian wright?..thats arguably the most stupid comment ive heard in my life. Do you actually think if we didnt sign him, we would have gone on and won more titles?..have you ever heard of a liltle club called manchester utd?..They dominated the game in the years that Ian Wright played for us.

Kevin Campbell hasnt got **** on Ian Wright!..thats why he ended up playing for Notthingham Forrest.If he was so good, he would have made it big time.He was a poor mans emile hesky.

You say before we singed Ian Wright we won two title in three years.But thats got nothing to with the quality of Ian Wright as a player. Real Madrid won 2 champions leagues in 3 years before they singed Ronaldo in summer 2002, does that mean, as soon as they signed Ronaldo it made them worse, and thats why they didnt win any champions leagues?..Becasuse thats what your basically sayin about Ian Wright.

Your not a true Arsenal supporter by disrespected Ian Wright like that.

USArsenal

H.Y.I.C.
VanReyes, first off, the point was that maybe if the team wasnt geared around Wright, we may have been able to win a few more titles because teams wouldnt have been able to stop us by stopping one player.. if the scoring was more spread around, we may have had more chances to break through other teams...

that being said, EIN never once begrudged Wright for his contribution to the club. He did exactly what he was brought in for... But the team back then will be more remembered for their defence... one-nil to the arsenal... boring boring arsenal.. ring any bells?

when the team of the 2000's is remembered, Henry will come first in anyone's mind, no questions asked..

you mention Ronaldo... i think that is a PERFECT correlation.. Ronaldo will forever be known as a legend for BRAZIL... but not for Real Madrid... when you remember Real in 20 years, the first name that will come to your mind will be Zidane..

one thing I think you can NEVER question, though, is Exiled's passion for Arsenal.. he is probably the most knowledgeable and has seen more than you and i combined... he embodies "Arsenal Supporter"

Canuck

Established Member
VanReyes said:
ExiledInNewcastle said:

We should have never signed ian wright?..thats arguably the most stupid comment ive heard in my life. Do you actually think if we didnt sign him, we would have gone on and won more titles?..have you ever heard of a liltle club called manchester utd?..They dominated the game in the years that Ian Wright played for us.

Kevin Campbell hasnt got s**t on Ian Wright!..thats why he ended up playing for Notthingham Forrest.If he was so good, he would have made it big time.He was a poor mans emile hesky.

You say before we singed Ian Wright we won two title in three years.But thats got nothing to with the quality of Ian Wright as a player. Real Madrid won 2 champions leagues in 3 years before they singed Ronaldo in summer 2002, does that mean, as soon as they signed Ronaldo it made them worse, and thats why they didnt win any champions leagues?..Becasuse thats what your basically sayin about Ian Wright.

Oh VanReyes. ****
Now you've mucked with it.
So far as his love and support of Arsenal. Exiled is above reproach!

A

Anonymous

Oh VanReyes. You dumb misguided bastard.
Now you've mucked with it.
So far as his love and support of Arsenal. Exiled is above reproach![/quote]

**** you. Why the fcuk are you calling me that?..i dont give a **** if your a moderator or not, thats not the way you talk to people.If you said that to me in the street i would have knocked you out.I dont mind critisim, but that was taking it too low. If you want to cuss me, PM me.Surely you should get a warning with those comments. This is double standards.

Aussie

Established Member
VanReyes, You have missed Exiled's points by that far it aint funny. Have a look what he is saying.

I dont Necessarily agree with what he has to say buts its a intresting arguement.

omdtm

They're both great...

Yeah, they're both great... But there's only one Dennis Bergkamp and he's the one who is a real legend.

Biggest Arsenal players of my time:

1- Bergkamp
2- Henry
3- Tony Adams
4- Overmars
5- Ian Wright
6- Vieira
7- Ljungberg
8- Seaman
9- Keown
10- Pires

vin de guerre

My Heroes are Jon Radford, George Armstrong, DB10.
Ian Wright was a real character and a marvellous predator but as an overall footballer Titi wins hands down. By the way we had another couples of characters by the name of Charlie who can be compared with Ian wright!

vin de guerre

After Scrolling back I pretty much agree with exile. In an overview of what happened around that time, Wrighty may well have been more of a mistake but a comical one!

Exiled In Newcastle

Established Member
VanReyes said:
ExiledInNewcastle said:

Kevin Campbell hasnt got s**t on Ian Wright!..thats why he ended up playing for Notthingham Forrest.If he was so good, he would have made it big time.He was a poor mans emile hesky.

1. Yes I do think we would have won more titles without him. We were league champions at the time and favourites not only for the league, but also for the European Cup that year. Also, we signed Wright in '91 and the mancs didn't start winning the league 'til '93. At the time WE WERE the dominant team, having usurped Liverpool.

2. Kevin Campbell. He was an absolute phenomenom until Wright arrived. He was a player that scored goals and terrorised defences for fun, and many many people outside the club predicted that he would be ENglands #9 for a decade. But Wrights ego destroyed him. Saying 'if he was any good...' is just plain daft because the history of the game is littered with wonderful talent that never achieved.

3. So a measure of support is blindly worshiping a player? Not what I signed up for.

Also - stop the insults and swearing at each other.

Tegh

Established Member
ExiledInNewcastle said:
VanReyes said:
ExiledInNewcastle said:

1. Yes I do think we would have won more titles without him. We were league champions at the time and favourites not only for the league, but also for the European Cup that year. Also, we signed Wright in '91 and the mancs didn't start winning the league 'til '93. At the time WE WERE the dominant team, having usurped Liverpool.

2. Kevin Campbell. He was an absolute phenomenom until Wright arrived. He was a player that scored goals and terrorised defences for fun, and many many people outside the club predicted that he would be ENglands #9 for a decade. But Wrights ego destroyed him. Saying 'if he was any good...' is just plain daft because the history of the game is littered with wonderful talent that never achieved.

3. So a measure of support is blindly worshiping a player? Not what I signed up for.

Also - stop the insults and swearing at each other.

This is all extremely hard to swallow.

VanReyes, i can understand your anger, Wrighty was my hero, so i know where you're coming from. However, you can't question EIN's love of Arsenal, or accusing him of not being a real supporter, just go to the front page and read his article, it was extremely well written. Thank you for that EIN.

Campbell was never better than Wright. I don't think you can blame his ''demise'' on Wright's ego either, do you dislike Wright? Just asking, not assuming. I just find it hard to stomach all this criticism towards him since he was my favourite.

''He was a player that scored goals and terrorised defences for fun.''

That's exactly what Wright did as well, and i'm not saying that you disagree that Wright didn't do that, but just clearing it up for others.

How you can say we would of won the league without Wright is strange, you can't say something like that and back it up, it's just ''if's and maybe's'' as one person put it.

Still, you do make some good points, and your news post was great, so hat's off to you.

Ian Wright, Wright, Wright!

Exiled In Newcastle

Established Member
I have nothing against Wright at all. Like everyone else I cheered him when he played for us and loved him for his antics. But...

I think it's fair to say that we were geared up as a league team until Wright arrived. I also think it's fair to say that without Wright we would have been (at the very least) more likely to be challenging for the title.

Anyone that remembers Campbells impact on the team when he broke through will remember how good he was until Wright arrived. And how he was never the same after. Obviously it's conjecture as to why but I think you'll find most people around then would likely say it was down to Wrights impact. Could he have been better than Wright - in my opinion yes.

Also - when it comes to goalscoring it's a team game.

1989 - scored 73 - divisions top scorers.
1990 - scored 54 - oops.
1991 - scored 74 - 3 off top scoreres.
1992 (the season Wright signed) - 81 - division top scorers.
1993 - 40
1994 - 53
1995 - 52
1996 - 49

Wright was a cup player - a luxury you can't win the league with. If you take away his cup goals his scoring record in his full seasons was 15-23-18-15-23-10.

Tegh

Established Member
ExiledInNewcastle said:
I have nothing against Wright at all. Like everyone else I cheered him when he played for us and loved him for his antics. But...

I think it's fair to say that we were geared up as a league team until Wright arrived. I also think it's fair to say that without Wright we would have been (at the very least) more likely to be challenging for the title.

Anyone that remembers Campbells impact on the team when he broke through will remember how good he was until Wright arrived. And how he was never the same after. Obviously it's conjecture as to why but I think you'll find most people around then would likely say it was down to Wrights impact. Could he have been better than Wright - in my opinion yes.

Also - when it comes to goalscoring it's a team game.

1989 - scored 73 - divisions top scorers.
1990 - scored 54 - oops.
1991 - scored 74 - 3 off top scoreres.
1992 (the season Wright signed) - 81 - division top scorers.
1993 - 40
1994 - 53
1995 - 52
1996 - 49

Wright was a cup player - a luxury you can't win the league with. If you take away his cup goals his scoring record in his full seasons was 15-23-18-15-23-10.

Those stats are interesting, as are Wright's goal scoring tally minus the League Cup goals, however, the League Cup was a respectable cup back then, unlike now.

It's your opinion that ''we could have won the title without Wright'', but i still think it's hard to justify something like that, as it is just ''if's and maybe's''.

Thanks for the factual statistical information, i never knew that.

Exiled In Newcastle

Established Member
I agree that the League Cup goals were more valued then, but the point I was trying to make was that in the week in week out hurly burly of league football his record wasn't great at all.

He was a Cup Player and Arsenal are a League team.

Tegh

Established Member
They are now, but weren't back then if we never won it :p

The cups were our strong points weren't they? I was quite young at the time, so i don't remember that well.

What if we hadn't had Wright, maybe we wouldn't of won the league or the title.

''Maybe''. =P

Top Bottom