• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Wrighty Podcast

sabret00the

Established Member
Tony Montana said:
sabret00the said:
RocktheCasbah said:
I felt the same way about Wrighty Captain, then I saw him at the Final Salute celebrations, when Mr Arsenal couldn't be "arsed" to turn up and my eyes filled up and he became a hero again to me. Still chats sh't about Shaun though.
he loves his son way too much but he is a legend. a real one. sometimes he talks s**t and angers me, but he's an ex footballer...no he's a human now, he's a fan, he's a legend.

How can you love your son too much? Maybe he's showing his love in the wrong way.
it was more a figure of speech. you know there's loving your wife and then there's mentioning your wife every time someone mentions a woman in the pub.

Captain

Established Member
Tony Montana said:
Well they can enforce negative stereotypes on non-white people, believe me. It's also a bit naive to think that white people or whoever will assume that's how all black people act just by watching Ian Wright. And how is Wrighty being funny, passionate etc negative?

Because in my opinion he is making a fool of himself (I don't think he is funny in the slightest) and it is a fact that people prefer to label people with simplistic opinions based upon what they see on tv, rather then taking the time to garner a knowledge of something themselves.

Each to their own, but that is my opinion of him.

do you have shoulder pads on your jacketsto cover up the chip you have on each shoulder in regards to this guy?

yep, big Arsenio Hall style ones. Do you want to borrow some?

Tony Montana

Established Member
Captain said:
Tony Montana said:
Well they can enforce negative stereotypes on non-white people, believe me. It's also a bit naive to think that white people or whoever will assume that's how all black people act just by watching Ian Wright. And how is Wrighty being funny, passionate etc negative?

Because in my opinion he is making a fool of himself (I don't think he is funny in the slightest) and it is a fact that people prefer to label people with simplistic opinions based upon what they see on tv, rather then taking the time to garner a knowledge of something themselves.

Each to their own, but that is my opinion of him.

Yup, that's the thing isn't it. It's your opinion that you don't think he's funny and is making a fool out of himself. It doesn't mean everyone else thinks the same. It doesn't mean they will once they see Wright on Motd. It doesn't mean white people will view black people as mere entertainers just because of Ian Wright either. Maybe you have a negative stereotype of him but I don't. This is not an attack at you btw (as I realise i may come across as annoyed) it's just another side to a story.

How else do people get an opinion of Wright other than tv? Radio? Internet? Hearsay? These are all forms of media (apart from the last one) but we can't all meet a guy to have a thoroughly informed opinion of him. I've only ever seen him on tv other than watching him at Highbury.

Captain

Established Member
Well, considering they write in the national papers how much of a joke he is everytime he is on match of the day, I would say it is a common view, but it doesn't really matter.

I think the guy is the worst sort of 'character' going, black, white or any other colour and I can't stand him.

Tony Montana

Established Member
Captain said:
Well, considering they write in the national papers how much of a joke he is everytime he is on match of the day, I would say it is a common view, but it doesn't really matter.

I think the guy is the worst sort of 'character' going, black, white or any other colour and I can't stand him.

I think some people take life too seriously.

But how does he pander to the viewers in a minstrel show type way?

Fair play if you can't stand him. Like you said, to each his own.

marco

RocktheCasbah said:
I felt the same way about Wrighty Captain, then I saw him at the Final Salute celebrations, when Mr Arsenal couldn't be "arsed" to turn up and my eyes filled up and he became a hero again to me. Still chats sh't about Shaun though.

Yep but mr arsenal has had some sort of falling out with the club.
dont know what or why...

that doesnt stop him being an absolute arsenal legend and hoping at the pompey game we show our true appreciation to the guy that epitomised everything to do with the club...
the fact that no one even sung his name at the portsmouth game was disgraceful..

God is still my favourite ever arsenal player

Captain

Established Member
Tony Montana said:

His whole act is so contrived and ignorant that I can only assume he is 'playing up' for the cameras; almost playing the part of what he thinks people want to see.

If he is just genuinely stupid and that buffoonery is his normal behaviour then I am mistaken.

Tony Montana

Established Member
Captain said:
Tony Montana said:

His whole act is so contrived and ignorant that I can only assume he is 'playing up' for the cameras; almost playing the part of what he thinks people want to see.

If he is just genuinely stupid and that buffoonery is his normal behaviour then I am mistaken.

Sometimes we shouldn't be too quick to make assumptions. I still don't think his supposed 'act' is some sort of minstrel show, as if viewers 'expect' black people to act this way. It's important that we don't take him too seriously as i don't think he takes himself that seriously either.

Captain

Established Member
I don't know mate. If you're sitting on a show like Match of the day and all you can do is shout loudly and wave your hands around then that's pretty ignorant considering the nature of the programme.

It isn't a comedy show and he is making himself look like a fool doing it in that sort of environment.

In the end it doesn't matter. Not really worth going over too much.

Gooner T

Captain said:
I don't know mate. If you're sitting on a show like Match of the day and all you can do is shout loudly and wave your hands around then that's pretty ignorant considering the nature of the programme.

It isn't a comedy show and he is making himself look like a fool doing it in that sort of environment.

Dunno about that, if you ak me, every single person on match of the day talks **** and make fools out of themselves... not just Wrighty.

madlondonmale1

IAN WRIGHTWRIGHTWRIGHT

what a legend,ok he loves he son loads but who dosent?
a great guy and you know what hes not a bad host either!

lagos

Established Member
Captain said:

Well he did say he is not tactically astute

dos1986

Established Member
Great player but I dont like the man anymore.

He's got nothing of interest to say but say's it LOUDLY.

Some people confuse his ignorance and stupidity for passion.

World Cup Qtr Final. England Vs Portugal HT - Ian Wrights coments about Owen Hargreaves 1st half performance was the worst piece of punditry anyone is ever likely to see. How could he of got it so so wrong ?? when it was blindingly obvious after the game that he was Englands best player ( and arguably the best performance in a England shirt for some time ) in the game, he wasnt man enought to even mention Hargreaves name. Instead he lamblasts Sven. ( again and again)

Talksport must have taken leave of their senses. they'll lose listeners in droves.

GUNNERS4L1FE

Established Member
You do realise that Talksport is home to Adrian Durham, arguably the biggest **** to appear on the radio. The guy is blatantly anti-Arsenal, has minimal football knowledge and is simply a wind up merchant

Viper

Established Member
Gooner T said:
Captain said:

Dunno about that, if you ak me, every single person on match of the day talks s**t and make fools out of themselves... not just Wrighty.
Wrighty is too biased for his own good - when England plays that is. I can't ever remember anytime time when he has actually praised the opposition team.

He even thought it was okay for Gerrard to start diving, or any other English player for that matter.

Tony Montana

Established Member
Lol, i'm listening to the Wrighty podcast now. Let's have a purely English league. :lol:

How should England be easily getting to the semis of International competitions? That's what he says. We're just not that good, as a team, as a country over the years.

Apparantly Wrighty's criticisms of Sven had a backlash on SWP.

Wrighty stating the obvious for the Lampard Gerrard situation. Actually the midfield he provides is quite good. Cole on the left. Hargreaves and Gerrard in the middle and then Lennon on the right.

Wrighty couldn't manage he says. The black Kevin Keegan. :lol:

Arsène Wenger looks like a professor from NASA! :p

Wenger told (Adams i think) never to shout at the players when one of them was shouting. He sits there for 10 minutes not saying anything. 2-3 minutes before they went out, he starts talking. :roll: In my opinion I don't think that' the best thing to do all the time.

Henry should stay according to Wrighty. Fans get pissed off with players eventually and it happened to Bergkamp and Wrighty himself. (YBF's attitude not surprising lol). It's what happening to Henry.

Lol I know that people can just listen to the podcast but I was bored so wrote this as I was listening to the podast.

Non-football related stuff now so i'll stop.

curtland

Captain said:
Tony Montana said:

Well how about this, he's an outgoing, goofy guy who HAPPENS to be black. Does that work?

Thinking he's demeaning his race somehow because he likes to act like an ass sometimes is a bit obtuse, and a little insulting as well.

Tony Montana

Established Member
curtland said:
Captain said:
Tony Montana said:

Well how about this, he's an outgoing, goofy guy who HAPPENS to be black. Does that work?

Thinking he's demeaning his race somehow because he likes to act like an ass sometimes is a bit obtuse, and a little insulting as well.

Well said mate.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom