• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

wrighty

• Thread starter Anonymous
  • Start date
  • Replies 37
  • Views 1,660

JGooner

Wright was never the loyal Arsenal legend people think he was. He was partly responsible for our failure to challenge for the title in the mid-90s because the whole team existed to serve him. He basically ended Alan Smith's career as a prolific striker (I think he won the Golden Boot twice before Wright showed up and was an amazing team player). He got himself sent off all the time. He tried to engineer a move to Benfica during the '98 double season and threw a strop when Wenger wouldn't let him. It has always been "me, me, me" with him, as you can see from testimonials, where he comes on, runs around like a showboating circus act, takes all the attention from the player whose testimonial it is, and then goes off hogging all the applause. Also a complete failure at international level. If he wants his son to Chelsea, I don't give a ****. Good player, but not worth more than £10m.

Allyboy

Established Member
I don't think he is saying anything unreasonable to be honest.

Im sure if you asked a lot of players at clubs now at the level Palace were at back then (though to be fair I have a feeling they came 3rd the year before we signed WWW....) they would pick Chelsea over Arsenal.

If Chelsea want to pay silly money for SWP then let them, he is good, but hes not world class and like mentioned before, with the players that already are at Chelsea hes hardly likely to get a great deal of chance to develop.

KingReyes

Established Member
Chelsea are flavour of the month at the moment, something tells me that this time last season Wrighty would have said he would join Arsenal over Chelsea because money isn't everything and we are unbeaten etc etc.

RocktheCasbah

Established Member
JGooner said:
Wright was never the loyal Arsenal legend people think he was. He was partly responsible for our failure to challenge for the title in the mid-90s because the whole team existed to serve him. He basically ended Alan Smith's career as a prolific striker (I think he won the Golden Boot twice before Wright showed up and was an amazing team player).

Is that Ian Wright's responsibility or George Graham's failing as team manager? You can't knock Wrighty's goal record, he scored most of the time, whatever the opposition.

JGooner said:
He got himself sent off all the time. He tried to engineer a move to Benfica during the '98 double season and threw a strop when Wenger wouldn't let him.

How many times did he get himself sent off? Booked a lot, yes. But I don't remember too many red cards, one at Nottm Forest around 97, and....?

JGooner said:
It has always been "me, me, me" with him, as you can see from testimonials, where he comes on, runs around like a showboating circus act, takes all the attention from the player whose testimonial it is, and then goes off hogging all the applause. Also a complete failure at international level.

Again, is that his fault or the fault of the Highbury public who still adore him 7 years later? And not quite sure his international record is relevant to his Arsenal career.

A question for you, is your real name Marc Ollington?

Chips&CurrySauce

When I read that article I was very dissapointed wiht Wrighty... This is the second time now he has come out and said something similar... It seems that he wants his son to go to Chelsea... Wrighty has a massive ego and it wouldn't suprise me if he feels threatended that Shaun may become an even greater Arsenal legend...

I can't undertand why he said it.. Its rubbish if you ask me... I feel we are still as strong as Chelsea when everyone is fit, and for Wright just to dismiss us, cos of one poor season, is very bad taste and disrespectful to the fans that idolised him...

True Arsenal legends, like Frank Mclintoch, Adams, Keown, and even Alan Smith would never come out with something like this! We have some of the best players in the world, like Thierry (who is twice the player Wrighty ever was), Patrick, Sol, and they can go to any club they want to but they have stayed loyal to us... They deserve much more respect!

Feis-al

Actually for those who are saying "it's just the Sun" He would have denied it, Just that simple and when people don't deny things, We end up with Cole-Gate Scandal

the dawn raids

Established Member
not a very shocking comment really. why come here or United when Chelsea'll pay you twice as much? football is, after all, a business first and foremost these days. and with the role agents play now (and making sure they can line their own pockets) that statement rings true more than ever.

asajoseph

Established Member
Ok...

How about you put it like this - Charlie George would NEVER have said that. Roy Keane would never say that. I don't believe Thierry Henry will ever say that.

Fair enough Ian, you might be right. But, if you value you status as an Arsenal Legend, and you value US as fans, you didn't need to say it. Not in public, anyway.

And so what if football is a business these days? It's exactly BECAUSE some players treat football as so much more than a way to earn a living, and Arsenal so much more than an employer that we love them.

Allyboy

Established Member
Chips&CurrySauce said:
True Arsenal legends, like Frank Mclintoch, Adams, Keown, and even Alan Smith would never come out with something like this! We have some of the best players in the world, like Thierry (who is twice the player Wrighty ever was), Patrick, Sol, and they can go to any club they want to but they have stayed loyal to us... They deserve much more respect!

Adams has criticised us tbh, I remember him saying in 2003 that United would win the title and not us (and he was right!). He has also had a pop at Vieira, and Smudger shat all over us for us viciously shoving Van Nistelrooy last September.

People read too much into this sort of stuff, he probably just wants to protect his son in case he goes to Chelski.

Either way, one article in the Sun does not diminish what he did for us as a player, or how he should be remembered IMO>

USArsenal

H.Y.I.C.
Shadow Moses said:
He will be just another name at Chelsea. lol
much like Scott Parker... an emerging quality player who takes the bright lights over the playing time... Scott Parker's career has, in effect, completely stalled... the same will happen to SWP if he moves there..

i dont see him ending up there...

alir77

Knowing this article is from the Sun im sure it simply is just a quote taken out of context.

Maybe Wright just meant that the reason Chelsea have done so well is that every good up and coming player is attracted to them. He said if he was at PALACE he would have went to chelsea but didnt say anything about if he was at Arsenal he would leave for Chelsea.

Thats how i want to INTERPRET what he said

MAK

Think about it if you were a player where would you be right now. Forget being an Arsenal fan. Think as if you were a pro. You have only a few years to milk your career for cash & trophies. Where else would you want to be. You could earn at least twice if not three times what you could elsewhere, you hardly have to lift a finger as you only play about 25% of the games, you get to the semis of the CL every year etc., and you get int'l caps coming out your ears.

What Wrighty said made perfect sense. Financially Chelski are streets ahead of everyone, Mourinho has ensured that they can translate the monetary advantage to pitch. He wasn't having a pop at us, just telling it like it is from the perspective of a player. Don't citicise him for that. Makes you sound silly.

Aussie

Established Member
Allyboy said:
Chips&CurrySauce said:

Adams has criticised us tbh, I remember him saying in 2003 that United would win the title and not us (and he was right!). He has also had a pop at Vieira, and Smudger shat all over us for us viciously shoving Van Nistelrooy last September.

People read too much into this sort of stuff, he probably just wants to protect his son in case he goes to Chelski.

Either way, one article in the Sun does not diminish what he did for us as a player, or how he should be remembered IMO>

Well Said

Top Bottom