• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

WTF - Arsenal star on drink driving charge

sabret00the

Established Member
this is ****ing disgusting and i blame Wenger to be honest, should anyone ask me to explain my point i will gladly do so :|

informed1

sabret00the said:
this is f****g disgusting and i blame Wenger to be honest, should anyone ask me to explain my point i will gladly do so :|
although I can hazard a guess at why you said that, I would very much like you to explain your point

KingReyes

Established Member
sabret00the said:
this is f****g disgusting and i blame Wenger to be honest, should anyone ask me to explain my point i will gladly do so :|

Mate you are hilarious. This just shows that Wenger was 100% right in not playing Pennant in the first place. Of course this is just an assumption from my side but if this is just an indication what Pennant was like then Wenger was right not to play him where possible.

jay-d

Established Member
Flipping Pennant i always thought he could make it but he won't now what a waste but i guess Wenger saw all these signs already, drinking till 6am when he could of been playing that afternoon WTF!! Anyway best bet is to sell him now tout him to Everton and Villa or even better will be to offer him to Man City as part of a deal to bring SWP to highbury but just don't loose another player for free.

Jose_Reyes_2005

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
I've got to say, this definately has not come as a surprise.

Pennant is and will always be a wild lad - however, i do believe that he desperately wanted to play for this club. His actions over the years may say otherwise, but thats who he is really. Obviously, if he wanted to play for us he had to change, and he did - which still got him nowhere.

Wenger obviously does not have that much confidence in him. After the departure of Parlour and Wiltord - pennant had supposedly become our number 1 backup for Freddie - but when freddie did get injured, Pires moved to the right. That proved to me that Arsène saw no future at Arsenal for Jermaine, and i think Pennant realized that too. So he was either going to a) Keep his head up, work hard, wait till Freddie and bobby both get injured, at the same time, all within the 4-5 months before his contract expires OR b) Return to his old ways

Unfortunately, he picked the wrong option and is probably going to have to start looking for a new club now.

Spartan

hes going jail blatantly...be very suprised if he doesnt. thats the 2nd charge within a year

Josjos

I'm, gutted, i really wanted him to do well, I still think that Arsène hasn't given him the opertunities. even bringing him on for the last 10-15 to run at defenders in games would have been nice.

I hope he gets one last chance but it's looking all over now

dumb sh1t

kiddou

yeah that was reaaalllyy stupid from JP but that's the way life goes when you're an idiot + frustrated.
Anyway just a question: He got a 1200 pounds fine + 16 months of suspension for an illegal U-turn somewhere in West London??
Did I get that right. I don't live in England but isn't that a bit harsh?? In my country it definitely is. For a wrong U-turn I would get something like 20 times smaller fine and no susspension whatsoever.

arsenal98

Aapparently it wasn´t ash´s car after all. Sad affair nonetheless. Transfer window closing soon and we won´t get nowt for him...team-wise I feel sorry
for him as he doesn´t seem to be able to cope with being an over-paid football
pro. Can wish him well at his next club, though. As for Edu, once more...p*** off!

sabret00the

Established Member
informed1 said:
sabret00the said:
although I can hazard a guess at why you said that, I would very much like you to explain your point

ok brace yourselves as i'm probably gonna be seen to be talking utter ****e but this is my personal opinion and should be seen as much and not gospel.

Recently their was talk on the Arsenal-Mania forums about winners, now in order to truly understand this, you need to understand that a 'winner' is truly just a mark of attitude, it's like when you see Sol take out a striker with a sliding tackle, stand up and in that same motion look back at the striker over his shoulder like "Nah bruv, it's my space!". i've seen a few players come and go from Highbury, some with attitudes and some don't but in all fairness most have had more of a chance than Jermaine Pennant.

For all the talk you'll see of Pennant and chances it's quite laughable, people are quick to say that he's been giving a **** load but lets be honest for a second, he's been strung along, 7 years at Arsenal waiting for a chance and he's not got it, 10 minutes every ten games isn't a chance.

Don't get me wrong, i understand the monumental **** up that drink driving was and in no way condone his actions, but to say i don't understand would be ignorance, Wenger may indeed feel that his attitude is enough to hold him back however week after week i notice that players with that same 'attitude' have that outlet to let it out and give their all for us, saying that, when Pennant has had the half chance that those inconsistant ten minutes provide he's not set the world alight, but then again who has in a ten minute period?

So now this is where i get the Arsène factor, many a times you've seen me condemn his man mangament, in regards to his favourites he'll take them and their problems on and treat them as individuals but a mere squaddie like Pennant has to just conform and being taken at the age of 15 he was never gonna be that type of player.

You'd think that in six years of managing the man that Arsène would realise for the seventh that it's not working and maybe he should change his tactics, but then even the most loyal Arsenal fans have to question at times Arsène's ability to do such a feat.

The fact of the matter is that while last year he was distracted being given runs at which everyone noted this attitude inprovement, he was then brought back to the reserves, no matter what reserves and training isn't football and unlike others that have graced this club with attitude problems, he wasn't given the chance for his football to do the talking.

It's ultimately about outlet, if you've got that, that attitude that says tomorrow i'm gonna score a goal and bring us one step closer to lifting the title you're alot less likely to go out drinking where as if you know tomorrow no matter how good i am in training i'm gonna play reserves and rot till even the central midfielders are injured and Arsène's given no choice but to play me.

Yesterday was the ultimate slap in the face for Pennant and to not expect a reaction is obsurd, i know Pires has his best game of the season but the fact of the matter is, we played a left winger as right winger having one available. not only that but this is the same man who's just come back from a season of regular football to see someone younger than him getting regular football.

Again this highlights what you can do and what you can't in ten minutes, given a run you can eitehr be great (Cesc) or ****e (Cygan) but not given one, you're just gonna a questionmark, having given the club 7 years of his life he's actually allowed to expect faith to be thrown in him, i've never seen a player told you're playing for a contract and not given the chance to play in such a way, this is a prime example of man management.

Don't get me wrong i understand the Arsène dilemma you've got Freddie playing outta your skin what can you do, well lets be honest theirs been chances that have even seen Flamini play right wing, had Freddie been fit, Arsène would've said, don't push up as much Freddie sit back, but yet instead of giving Pennant a chance, of which his job is to follow instructions, he took the other route, just another chance for him not to get a chance.

Ultimately Pennant's attitude isn't great or no where near, he loved the lifestyle and often got caught enjoying it, but with no real outlet other than the lifestyle you're going to expect a player to react and that's precisely what he's done.

I remember when Sol first came over from Sp**s he had that same attitude that he's got now but he was ****e, we perservered and at 100k a week you have too and now he's proving himself, i remember Defoe with Hammers when they were in Division 1, he was still the same player but theirs only so much you can do from there or in a team like that, now when i watch him, i think **** me, you're too good. it's about chances. Pennant gave Arsène seven years and that meant **** all to Arsène. even half hour every five games would've been throwing a bone, but that seemed too much. so yeah Arsène must bare some responsiblity for this.

zodos

I have always said his limited opportunities at Arsenal had more to do with his attitude and discipline than with football. I hope those who have been bashing Wenger for not playing him now realise why. He is a complete no-brainer!!

I wonder if Ashley can be prosecuted for lending him his car, knowing he was banned? I sincerely hope not, but I suspect so!!

informed1

kiddou said:
yeah that was reaaalllyy stupid from JP but that's the way life goes when you're an idiot + frustrated.
Anyway just a question: He got a 1200 pounds fine + 16 months of suspension for an illegal U-turn somewhere in West London??
Did I get that right. I don't live in England but isn't that a bit harsh?? In my country it definitely is. For a wrong U-turn I would get something like 20 times smaller fine and no susspension whatsoever.

I think he was also drunk, thats why it was he was suspended

koivu

I won't mind seeing the back of him, hopefully we can pick up a bit of money for him. I don't think the blame lies anywhere else, I'm afraid. So stupid.

informed1

sabret00the

ok...since he was arrested at 6 am sunday morning there was no way he could have played. However I do know what you mean, when Freddie had his migraines there was a game where pennant could have played, I thought it was because he was coming back from injury but then I realise that he was actually fit to play.

There is a reason why Arsène never gave him a chance, go back to the first link that chicago gave from the mirror when Arsène said that Pennant would turn up ten minutes late. I know in England a lot of people might say its okay as long as he is not late on the pitch BUT thats not the way Wenger sees it. I agree with Wenger, I am late sometimes but not often, and when I am a get mad at myself because its a blatant sign of disrespect. If the manager say be here at 10 then your target should be 10 minutes to 10 not ten past.

The fact that in that article Pennant didn't see that he should arrive on time and was infact rather blase about the whole thing, it shows that he really didn't understand the manager and what was expected from him. I know Ashley coles situation was different but still I heard Wenger talked about his commitment and the same for toure. In the end of season DVD wenger said that Toure was always looking to do more and improve, I dont get that feeling from Pennant, he may say the words but they seem like he was simply saying what we wanted to hear.

I wish he had played a few more games this season but this little event just highlight why he hasn't, what the hell was he doing out and about drinking until 6 in the morning. Even if he wasn't going to play, its a team sport and he is part of the team. I heard that Gilberto was there to watch, when Sol was injured he turn up to watch the team, Why was he out drinking until 6 am. He is a plonk, thats why, I am so disappointed in him, unbelievable. :( :x

RocktheCasbah

Established Member
sabret00the- It does seem peverse, given the time Jermaine's had here that he hasn't been given a chance or sold, but maybe Arsène just doesn't rate him. And I know that doesn't explain why we've let his contract run its' course... It is a very odd situation. :?

Sigun

I think its obvious that Wenger was ganna give Pennant another chance and saw some remaining potential in him by letting him go on loan last season oppose to selling him.

Though who knows, Wenger may have used Pennant later in the season or he may have given up on him already, as HE knows Pennant better than any of US do, so we should think before passing judgment on our manager.

sabret00the

Established Member
i think it's just impossible to have someone sit down for 7 years and expect them to take you on your word that they'd finally get the chance after he's not only been in the paper saying youth means losing points, but he's also playing people like Flamini and Cesc, Wenger's come across so hypercritical and to be honest rather than string him along should've sold him.

patrick42uk

Established Member
pennant had a relegation battle at leeds, an outlet if i'v ever seen one. still didnt stop him from getting done for drink-driving last season.

Top Bottom