• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Xabi Alonso

Status
Not open for further replies.

kamikaze80

Established Member
qs said:
Watching him recently is so annoying. He's in his best form for 3 years. We could have had that. Imagine the difference he'd have made to us for an extra couple of million.
yea, it's pretty annoying, isn't it?

Captain

Established Member
Not really, he plays with Mascherano and Gerrard. That's a huge difference.

We need an essien or a masch to make any difference to this midfield.

Riera has been an inspired purchase for them.

AnthonyG

Arse Emeritus
Captain said:
Not really, he plays with Mascherano and Gerrard. That's a huge difference.

We need an essien or a masch to make any difference to this midfield.

Riera has been an inspired purchase for them.
I've noticed that - very impressive.

qs

Established Member
They wont want to off load him though. He's vital to their current form. He makes them tick in a way Gerrard and Mascherano cant. He's the only one who really capable of dictating a game from midfield.

Sadly we missed the boat here. I genuinely think he'd have been the difference between a decent title challenge and where we are now. Even with the other weaknesses in our squad.

Jameel46

Established Member
people are very foolish here now aren't they? out of the Liverpool midfield pairing, we need a Mascherano, not a Xabi Alonso. Xabi & Cesc would not have worked as Xabi like Cesc is a passing box-to-box midfielder and what we need is a ball winning defensive midfielder to partner Cesc. Alonso would've been a bad signing and still would be a bad signing if he's being bought to partner Cesc.

TomasCR

Established Member
Why are you still talking about Alonso? Tell me one reason why he should change Pool for Arsenal, one reason...

True Gooner

Established Member
Jameel46 has a point - I'd rather have Mascherano over Alonso since Mascherano is a much more aggressive, and more of a ball winner than Alonso.

guinertron

can we lock this now...

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.setanta.com/uk/Articles/Football/2008/12/01/Prem-Alonso-Setanta-exclusive-on-future-and-West-Ham/gnid-29617/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.setanta.com/uk/Articles/Foot ... nid-29617/</a>

GoonerGurjit

Established Member
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/2008/12/08/arsenal-in-new-swoop-for-liverpool-star-xabi-alonso-exclusive-115875-20954236/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/2008/12 ... -20954236/</a>

kamikaze80

Established Member
True Gooner said:
Jameel46 has a point - I'd rather have Mascherano over Alonso since Mascherano is a much more aggressive, and more of a ball winner than Alonso.
precisely why liverpool won't sell him...

the only way i can see liverpool selling alonso is if their financial troubles are really as bad as advertised, because villa won't be selling barry in what could be their biggest chance to crack the big four, especially if it means we can get alonso.

qs

Established Member
Never mind Villas CL ambition, why would poor sell their best player of the season so far? In their best league season under Rafa. Theres no way they'll let a key player leave in January.

Captain

Established Member
To address their 'home grown' quota. Wasn't that the point of swapping one for the other at the start of the season?

LeTallec

Captain said:
To address their 'home grown' quota. Wasn't that the point of swapping one for the other at the start of the season?
it is precisely the root of all problems we have had.. I hope Rafa comes out and dismisses and kills speculation forever.. Besides we are blooding youngsters now

outlaw_member

Established Member
LeTallec, so you need more home grown players in order to match the quota and replacing Alonso with Barry would have matched the requirement? If so, would that mean that there could still be a possibility of Alonso or another foreign starter to be sold?

the dawn raids

Established Member
yeah things are going well at anfield right now; i highly doubt theyll do very much if at all to possibly imbalance that progress.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom