• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Xabi Alonso

Status
Not open for further replies.

illmatik

Established Member
I could see where you're coming from psycho but to me Alonso will fit the team much better than Barry

James

Established Member
illmatik said:
10x the player Barry is IMO
Someone not aboard the Barry bandwagon.

I think some people are under-estimating Alonso's ability to retain possession. He may not get "stuck in", cover as much of the pitch as Flamini did, but the guy doesn't need to with the footballing brain he has. However, i believe he has the fight to win when it comes down to it. I'm also not so sure that Barry is more mobile a player as him? Give me Alonso any day, cheaper, younger, and like illmatik said, ten times the player.

Our opinion counts for nothing though at the end of the day :lol:

Dez

scytheavatar said:
And he would fit into the team because _________?

Why do you think Liverpool wants to get rid of him?

Because he and Gerrard cant work together which is far more a reflection on Gerrards ineptitude as a defender than anything on Alonso because they're hardly going to be rid of the golden child are they?

gunnertilldeath

Established Member
I'd be happy with either one, to be honest but I'd be more comfortable with Barry coming in. I dont mean that as disrespect to Alonso, a player I have admired for a very very long time. His class is beyond question. However, do not underestimate the passer of the ball that Barry is. The man is a very very well rounded footballer who also brings a bit of steel and leadership to the middle of the park. That said, I think he'd much rather play for Liverpool because he and Gerrard get on so well.

If we picked up Alonso, I would worry a bit about the protection of the back four. Alonso might be a deep-lying player but he's not a very combative footballer. His strengths are his passing, reading of the game and positioning. These strengths are the same as Cesc's. I just feel like for our needs at the moment, Barry is the better fit. I've been harping on about Barry all summer. I'd be extatic if we got him.

illmatik

Established Member
James said:
illmatik said:
10x the player Barry is IMO
Someone not aboard the Barry bandwagon.

I think some people are under-estimating Alonso's ability to retain possession. He may not get "stuck in", cover as much of the pitch as Flamini did, but the guy doesn't need to with the footballing brain he has. However, i believe he has the fight to win when it comes down to it. I'm also not so sure that Barry is more mobile a player as him? Give me Alonso any day, cheaper, younger, and like illmatik said, ten times the player.

Our opinion counts for nothing though at the end of the day :lol:

Exactly, he is a very clever footballer, much clever than Barry and he has the ability to hold and distribute very well. He suits our quick passing movement and would be a perfect partner for Cesc, not to mention the chemistry they have.

the dawn raids

Established Member
we dont need clever though as much as we need presence. alonso is a talented footballer, but barry is just more ideal for what this current squad needs.

longrufus

Established Member
qs said:
longrufus said:
Shadow Moses said:
Anderson is more or less a dm. He has no clue in the final 3rd but starts for ManU because of his defensive ability
Whats going on here Shadow, your posts usually make sense.

Anderson is a attacking midfield player, if you watched him at all before United you would know that. He isnt actually that good at all defensivly, in the true sense of the word. He is strong and uses his body well, not to mention he is a tenacious wee git.

But as i've said a number of times, you dont have to be good defensivly to defend well and United have proved that. What Scholes, Carrick and Anderson lack in defensive ability, they make up for in work rate and sticking their foot in when it matters.

Anderson played attacking midfield in Portugal but for United he's always played in a defensive mid position and does f**k all going forward for them. I think he'll start expanding his play now that he's settled. We'll see him playing much more of a complete midfield role.
I know he has played in a holding midfield capacity for United, but he is naturally an attacking player. You could play Fabregas as a holding player and he'd be decent there, but that doesnt make him a holding player, he is world class playing higher up the pitch, so thats where he plays.
Anderson is never going to be a guy who dominates a midfield defensivly, against the better players, he'll always get shown up.

AFCFan4Ever

I still don't see Liverpool selling him to us, even if it means they could get Barry.

I think they're going to try and flog him to La Liga sides.

Glovegun

Established Member
Alonso might be a better passer of the ball than Barry, but Barry can do more or less everything offensively that Alonso can (crossing, through balls, shots from distance) and is far better defensively. He is also English, more used to the EPL, more versatile and left-footed (would offer us far more balance IMO). For the sake of £3m or so I think its worth going for Barry. First and foremost the job of our 2nd central midfielder is to win the ball and give it to Cesc. I cant see Alonso winning the ball too often and I cant see him wanting to just give the ball to Cesc at every opportunity.

Jasard

Forum Issue Troubleshooter

Does he shoot when faced with an open goal from 6 inches out or pass it back to Eboue? That is the ultimate test

James

Established Member
Jasard said:
Does he shoot when faced with an open goal from 6 inches out or pass it back to Eboue? That is the ultimate test
He'll shoot with an open goal from 60 yards, as Newcastle and Luton found out :lol:

mood

I wouldn't mind either Alonso or Barry, both class defensive midfielders. However, I dont see either deal happening, but I hope one of the two happens.

If we sign Xabi, he'd partner Cesc perfectly and we'll probably have the most creative midfield in the Premiership.

number_0

Established Member
I personally would want neither, there are more suited DM around europe who are younger, cheaper and more suited for us.

Jameel46

Established Member
he's a total change from Gilberto or Flamini. we'll certainly have a midfield duo with the best passing ability in the prem but i'd rather have a battler.

EMIR8_SOLDIER

Established Member
Been away all day and ive come back to see Hleb gone to kiss the Barac badge, Berto off to recieve a heros welcome and the link to Alonso gain more smoke

As I said, it wont be first time Arsenal and Liverpool do business together, many players we had played for Liverpool and vise versa. Wouldnt mind Alonso but would rather Barry. Liverpool seem to now turn their attention to Keane so who knows!

Either way, we need a proper established player soon to partner cesc because its the least he deserves and our team if we want trophies. From what ive seen for spain him and Alonso were very solid and had a good understanding of each others game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom