• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Yann M'Vila

Status
Not open for further replies.

23AndreyArshavin

Established Member
Sport.co.uk understands that Rennes midfielder Yann M’Vila will sign for either Manchester United or Arsenal this summer despite reported interest from Liverpool and Spanish giants Real Madrid.

A source close to the player confirmed to Sport.co.uk that Sir Alex Ferguson and Arsène Wenger are the favourites to land the 20-year-old with both managers eager to secure the signature of the talented French international.

The source explained that Old Trafford or the Emirates is the preferred destination of the player with both clubs having regularly scouted the defensive midfielder for the last 18 months, with M’Vila desperate to play regular Champions League football next term.

M’Vila has been instrumental in guiding Rennes to fifth in Ligue 1 however the player is now ready to leave the club in the summer and challenge himself in the Premier League. The French Ligue 1 club are reportedly looking for a fee in the region of £12 million with the player’s current deal expiring in 2013.

Ferguson is set to spend big money in the summer to strengthen his Red Devils' squad while Wenger is also ready to issue a changing of the guard at London Colney.

Liverpool Director of Football Damien Comolli is a fan of the midfielder although the source confirmed to Sport.co.uk that M’Vila would only leave Rennes to sign for a club in the Champions League; a situation which looks unlikely for Kenny Dalglish's side.

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.sport.co.uk/news/Football/52775/Exclusive_United_or_Arsenal_set_to_land_MVila.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.sport.co.uk/news/Football/52 ... MVila.aspx</a>

I hope we get this lad.

DanDare

Emoji Merchant and Believer-In-Chief
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
Diaby alsways has these spells. Always shortlived followed by matches and matches of Wenger not dropping him and him capitulating on the ball and slowing down our team.

Cudareli

Antonio Valencia stan
Can he create or is he purely a holding player in the moul dof Makelele? Never seen him play before.

scytheavatar

Established Member
My impression of M'Vila is that he's very similar to Song, so similar in fact that I am not sure of the point of buying him when he's probably not going to be an upgrade from Song.

Floating

Established Member
I'd love M'Vila or Tiote over Denilson. That one upgrade could make a massive difference in a season.

Irish_Owen

Established Member
scytheavatar said:
My impression of M'Vila is that he's very similar to Song, so similar in fact that I am not sure of the point of buying him when he's probably not going to be an upgrade from Song.
That's blatantly untrue

They play in similar positions, and carry out similar roles. But they both carry out their roles in a completely different fashion. I'd definitely see M'villa as an upgrade, and regard him as one of the brightest lights in Europe in that position

truth_hurts

but Holding’s hair transplant was painless
Admittedly I've never seen him play but he's not a potential signing which fills me with confidence. For the reported 12 million surely we can bring in somebody more established? The experienced central midfielders bar Cesc (and Rosicky who isn't the player he used to be) are already unproven so is another young player really the way to go?

Diaby, Song, Denilson, Cesc, Ramsey, Wilshere, Rosicky. We really need an older head in there somewhere.

Irish_Owen

Established Member
truth_hurts said:
Admittedly I've never seen him play but he's not a potential signing which fills me with confidence. For the reported 12 million surely we can bring in somebody more established? The experienced central midfielders bar Cesc (and Rosicky who isn't the player he used to be) are already unproven so is another young player really the way to go?

Diaby, Song, Denilson, Cesc, Ramsey, Wilshere, Rosicky. We really need an older head in there somewhere.
He's a player with massive potential, and arguably one of the best DM's on the planet, and i don't buy into that 12m figure too, i think it'd be closer to 15m.

Watch him next time the French National Team play and i guarantee you'll be impressed

USArsenal

H.Y.I.C.
he's contracted with Rennes until 2014.. unless there's a boyout clause in his contract, then i can easily see him going for more than 12m

truth_hurts

but Holding’s hair transplant was painless
Irish_Owen said:
truth_hurts said:

He's a player with massive potential, and arguably one of the best DM's on the planet, and i don't buy into that 12m figure too, i think it'd be closer to 15m.

Watch him next time the French National Team play and i guarantee you'll be impressed

will take time to watch him more closely. Can't see us beating our transfer record of a centre mid. 'he would kill Coquellin' will be Wengers line.

VancouverCanuck

Frankly, I don't see Wenger signing this guy because we already have Coquelin and Frimpong, and they are all about the same age. IMO, Frimpong should definitely go out on loan next year. Let other teams be our youngsters' training grounds. Coquelin, I haven't seen him played but I doubt he is better than Song right now. I really want someone who is great at defending and a leader. If M'Vila fits the bill, and the next Viera as some have described, I'd spend money and go for it. Obviously, it's not up to me. Our young players really need to fight for their starting spot instead of getting it handed to them.

Here's a description of M'Vila that I found on the web:

1) Yann M'Vila was born in Amiens, France on 29 June, 1990.
2) Supposedly the next Patrick Vieira, the 20-year-old midfielder is very strong in the challenge, can read the game expertly and has a very high work-rate.
3) He spent two years with Amiens in the third tier of French football but instead opted to sign an academy contract with Ligue 1 side Rennes when he was 16 in 2006. In doing so he was joining a club that had nurtured the talents of Sylvain Wiltord, Yoann Gourcuff and Mikael Silvestre.
4) He was part of the Rennes team that won the French Youth Cup (Coupe Gambardella) in 2008. Check out highlights below - his is the second goal.
5) His first team debut finally came as a substitute in the club's 1-1 draw at Nice in the second game of the 2009/10 season and has been a mainstay ever since.
6) Shortly after his debut his manager at Rennes, Frederic Antonetti said: “Yann has really shaken up the hierarchy here. For a youngster, he has an unusual level of maturity in his game.”
7) His brother Yohan is also a professional footballer for Ligue 2 side Dijon.
8) Although in the provisional France World Cup squad for last year's tournament in South Africa, he failed to make the final 23. Although if you remember what happened to Les Bleus, it wasn't such a bad thing.
9) Following Laurent Blanc's appointment as French coach, he made his full international debut in a 2-1 defeat over Norway on 11 August 2010 after the entire World Cup squad had been banned. The match came just under a year after making his Rennes first team debut and he set up a Hatem Ben Arfa goal.
10) He may only be 20, but he's married with two children, while he also seems to be an automatic choice at Rennes. That would explain why Liverpool and a host of other top European clubs have been linked with him.

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.talksport.co.uk/magazine/features/2011-02-24/liverpool-transfer-target-yann-mvila-10-things-you-need-know-about-france-midfielder" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.talksport.co.uk/magazine/fea ... midfielder</a>" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

outlaw_member

Established Member
If we sign another French CM in the hope that he's the new Vieira, I'm going to lose my rag. Going by our transfer history, you'd think only the French produced central midfielders. We're never going to get rid of the Vieira comparisons if we only ever focused on talents from that area. It's about time we channelled our efforts elsewhere. Let's look for the next Argentine 'number 5' instead.

VancouverCanuck

I am not suggesting that he is going to be the next Viera (I'd happily settle for the next Essien :D ). But IMO, the nationality should not be relevant. I just want a good DM, a good tackler and a good leader who will give it all to fight for the team. The problem with our team is not that we have too many French players. The problem is most of our players are too similar: we play pretty football when the other team gives us room to play. But we are struggling to grind out a result like manure does. That has nothing to do with the nationality of the players. More to do with coaching and the type of players that we have.

TeknoFreak79

M'vila is a different player to Song.

Yann has much better control and passing and always finds an avenue for himself to be free to be picked out for a pass. He always make space for himself. He also rarely breaks forward, unlike Song, and instead shields the back four and has very good distribution.

I think he would be quite a distinct upgrade on Song and I believe we shouldn't miss out on him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom