• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Yannick Carrasco

balthazar

Severe doubts about the mentality of any football player that chooses to go to China at that stage of their career.

Wages would be ridiculous too. No thanks.

Well, maybe he is regretting it already, and is ready to take a pay-cut in for the sake of his carrier and his legacy. Just hoping. Would love him here.

CJJ

Established Member
Now i'll admit i don't know Carrasco's style of play very well. But isn't he pretty much the same as Mkhitaryan?

He doesn't strike me as a type that combines pace and dribbling ability (which is what we need) but rather a tricky playmaker type winger that often relies on cutting inside to make through balls.

TorontoGooner76

Now i'll admit i don't know Carrasco's style of play very well. But isn't he pretty much the same as Mkhitaryan?

He doesn't strike me as a type that combines pace and dribbling ability (which is what we need) but rather a tricky playmaker type winger that often relies on cutting inside to make through balls.
He is quite pacy with very good dribbling abilities. However he seems to have a very questionable attitude. Because of that, I don't really see anything to this rumour. I think he is looking for an escape route out of playing in China.

MaraDon

Wants you to learn about football
Posted this in the general thread:

He’s beyond inconsistent and his effort levels are at times embarrassing. He was a dressing room cancer as well by all accounts, the highs that he has are not worth the awful lows. At this point I’d even rather Iwobi.

Always liked him (never watched him week in and out) but I’m surprised with what you are saying here. Did not know he was an asshole.

I was waiting for this because he is so direct, nothing like the players we already have now-

Severe doubts about the mentality of any football player that chooses to go to China at that stage of their career.

Wages would be ridiculous too. No thanks.

I used to agree @American_Gooner and this concept.

Specially regarding fitness and competition levels.

But you know what? after Paulinho and Witsel I can say that its plausible to go from china to a top tier club and still be quality and competitive.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

Always liked him (never watched him week in and out) but I’m surprised with what you are saying here. Did not know he was an asshole.

I was waiting for this because he is so direct, nothing like the players we already have now-

I used to agree @American_Gooner and this concept.

Specially regarding fitness and competition levels.

But you know what? after Paulinho and Witsel I can say that its plausible to go from china to a top tier club and still be quality and competitive.

He was inconsistent from day one but the hope was he’d at least try and reduce the bad games a bit.

Final season though the lad clearly didn’t give a sh*t. When he wasn’t feeling it he basically downed tools.

Haven’t watched him since he left but I doubt him clearing 170 grand a week playing against plumbers out in China will have helped him grow.

Beksl

Sell All The Youngsters
He was inconsistent from day one but the hope was he’d at least try and reduce the bad games a bit.

Final season though the lad clearly didn’t give a sh*t. When he wasn’t feeling it he basically downed tools.

Haven’t watched him since he left but I doubt him clearing 170 grand a week playing against plumbers out in China will have helped him grow.

Your comments scream of bias, mate. Was he even a regular starter there, I remember every time a watched Atleti he came off the bench.

For the right price I'd be over the moon if we took a gamble on him. Every time I saw him he oozed class and ability which is something we desperately need.

A_G

Rice Rice Baby 🎼🎵
A-M CL Draft Campeón 🏆
I don't think it says anything about his talent level tbf, I just question whether someone who'd be willing to go to China at that stage of their career would be fully committed to helping rebuild this club.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

Your comments scream of bias, mate. Was he even a regular starter there, I remember every time a watched Atleti he came off the bench.

For the right price I'd be over the moon if we took a gamble on him. Every time I saw him he oozed class and ability which is something we desperately need.

You can think what you want to, I’ve never had a problem with players leaving Atletico. As much as I hate say Costa when he’s played for a rival I’ve never come out and said he’s sh*t.

Atletico’s still a selling club somewhat, I understand players have to leave. In his case we didn’t have to sell but they still did anyway.

He started over 35 games his final full year, in the semi finals when Ronaldo got his hat trick he was probably our worst player. You can’t pin a loss on him but you could see at that point we weren’t going anywhere with him.

Slartibartfast

CIES Loyalist
I don't think it says anything about his talent level tbf, I just question whether someone who'd be willing to go to China at that stage of their career would be fully committed to helping rebuild this club.

Going to China might have just been an opportunity to get away from Simeone right away. The owner of his Chinese club also owns 20 percent of Atletico Madrid, so it was easy to get it done. And it's not like he's making massive wages (although certainly very decent at £169k a week), so I don't think that had all that much to do with it either (although it was certainly a pot-sweetener). So I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt here and chalk it up as just one of those things.

I know Rex thinks he's a terrible person because of some things that happened at Atletico Madrid, but these things happen. A lot of people were questioning Aubameyang last year for the way he forced his way out of Dortmund to Arsenal, but he's turned out to be a treasure. If Sven and Unai really want this guy at Arsenal, I trust that they've done their homework and know what kind of person he is as well as what kind of player. I trust them.

I was reading something yesterday ("The Rise and Fall of Yannick Carrasco") that was written at the end of his days at Atletico. He had a very difficult upbringing. His father abandoned the family when he was very young (this is why he goes by Yannick Carrasco, his mother's surname, instead of Yannick Ferreira). His mother struggled to raise four children and football became a way for him to help his mother and his family.

Both his coaches at Monaco, Claudio Rainieri and Leonardo Jardim, loved him. Frederic Barilaro, Monaco's education director, said "“What surprised me most was his maturity for his age. I’ve never seen a footballer so sure of his own ability.” L'Equipe journalist Regis Testelin was quoted as saying he was Monaco's best player, better than Joao Moutinho or James Rodriguez.

There seems to be no problem in his background until his falling out with Simeone. Who really knows the truth of what happened there? Certainly Simeone is a difficult and demanding character himself. It may have been a personality clash that Carrasco didn't handle as well as he should.

But he did quite well at Atletico for awhile. As the article stated, "It took time for Carrasco to settle in the Spanish capital but he soon began to prove himself an essential member of Diego Simeone’s side. His quality in attacking areas, his impact at key moments, had impressed fans at the Vicente Calderon." Fans were chanting his name. So it certainly wasn't all bad there. It was pretty good there for awhile. It was only later, in the midst of his disagreements with Simeone, that his intensity and drive fell off. But even Simeone said when Yannick left the club that "he is young and with a great future" and that it was a big loss for the club.

So I will trust Sven and Unai's judgement on this one rather than worrying about internet rumors and such. He's certainly an enormously skilled player and fits the bill for what Arsenal fans keep saying they want. I think he should be given the benefit of the doubt. That said, of course, if Jardim takes over the Chinese club, Yannick may be more inclined to stay because his former coach will want him. The links to Arsenal are tenuous anyway. So we'll see what happens.

Last edited:

nick gould

Yes please. Make it happen. Always been a very tricky dribbler who is fearless and could do it at the very top level against the best. We are showing ambition.

Heskey

🌑 🌘🌗🌖🌕🌔🌓🌒
Trusted ⭐
Between him and Denis Suarez, Carrasco is easily the one that gets me the most hyped.

Depending on the price of transfer and wages I would give Carrasco the chance to change his reputation around. As @Slartibartfast suggests, it could have been a result of personality clashes between him and Simeone and not a distinctive character flaw about Carrasco.

Ousmane Dembele did - just like Aubamayang - some **** to get his move through, still people want Dembele and I think few people complain about Auba's antics here so I don't really give much thought to the way it ended at Atletico.

I'm all for clean slates for guys and giving big talents chances as long as it's not something that risks us being tied to a ****ty deal for an expensive transfer sum. He is 25 and I think we could sell him on for a decent fee if he was to join and perform even just so-so.

I also wanted Wenger to sign Balotelli as I thought he would've been able to unlock something in him, so hey, maybe I'm just a freak.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

Going to China might have just been an opportunity to get away from Simeone right away. The owner of his Chinese club also owns 20 percent of Atletico Madrid, so it was easy to get it done. And it's not like he's making massive wages (although certainly very decent at £169k a week), so I don't think that had all that much to do with it either (although it was certainly a pot-sweetener). So I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt here and chalk it up as just one of those things.

I know Rex thinks he's a terrible person because of some things that happened at Atletico Madrid, but these things happen. A lot of people were questioning Aubameyang last year for the way he forced his way out of Dortmund to Arsenal, but he's turned out to be a treasure. If Sven and Unai really want this guy at Arsenal, I trust that they've done their homework and know what kind of person he is as well as what kind of player. I trust them.

I was reading something yesterday ("The Rise and Fall of Yannick Carrasco") that was written at the end of his days at Atletico. He had a very difficult upbringing. His father abandoned the family when he was very young (this is why he goes by Yannick Carrasco, his mother's surname, instead of Yannick Ferreira). His mother struggled to raise four children and football became a way for him to help his mother and his family.

Both his coaches at Monaco, Claudio Rainieri and Leonardo Jardim, loved him. Frederic Barilaro, Monaco's education director, said "“What surprised me most was his maturity for his age. I’ve never seen a footballer so sure of his own ability.” L'Equipe journalist Regis Testelin was quoted as saying he was Monaco's best player, better than Joao Moutinho or James Rodriguez.

There seems to be no problem in his background until his falling out with Simeone. Who really knows the truth of what happened there? Certainly Simeone is a difficult and demanding character himself. It may have been a personality clash that Carrasco didn't handle as well as he should.

But he did quite well at Atletico for awhile. As the article stated, "It took time for Carrasco to settle in the Spanish capital but he soon began to prove himself an essential member of Diego Simeone’s side. His quality in attacking areas, his impact at key moments, had impressed fans at the Vicente Calderon." Fans were chanting his name. So it certainly wasn't all bad there. It was pretty good there for awhile. It was only later, in the midst of his disagreements with Simeone, that his intensity and drive fell off. But even Simeone said when Yannick left the club that "he is young and with a great future" and that it was a big loss for the club.

So I will trust Sven and Unai's judgement on this one rather than worrying about internet rumors and such. He's certainly an enormously skilled player and fits the bill for what Arsenal fans keep saying they want. I think he should be given the benefit of the doubt. That said, of course, if Jardim takes over the Chinese club, Yannick may be more included to stay because his former coach will want him. The links to Arsenal are tenuous anyway. So we'll see what happens.

I do want to make it clear that I don’t think he’s a terrible person at all. Just because someone may not be perfect as a footballer I don’t think that makes them any less of a person, irregardless of dressing room dynamics. As a society we put too much pressure on people in the public eye and football is no different.

Ronaldo is everything you’d want in a footballer, focused with an insane work ethic but if recent developments are anything to go on he’s a terrible human being. Life is so much bigger than kicking a ball around.

Again I’ve said in a few posts he’s as talented a winger as I’ve seen. My problem with him was always his mental aptitude. I don’t think that can be refuted, he did blow extremely hot and cold in his time there. He was capable of incredible highs, but at the same time there were games he’d seemingly put no effort in at all.

I wanted him to succeed so badly at the club, like you said he was unbelievably exciting at Monaco and in that first season with us there were so many flashes of promise. I’m not a blind Simeone acolyte, on the Atletico foro I’m also a member of I’m in fact one of his biggest critics. I think he’s misused a lot of our young players like Oliver and even Saul.

However in the case of YFC you can’t purely put his departure down to him falling out with Simeone and the team. He has to take some responsibility for his actions, too many times he’d put in minimal work while the 9 other outfield players, even AG would be working as a cohesive unit.

As a gamble I’d be against it unless he’s made his money out in China and is willing to take a paycut. With the risk he’d flop on gigantic wages he’d be a nightmare to shift, he’s pretty much in the last chance saloon at the top of football.

I’d hope that mentally he’s put it altogether out there and I’d like for him to succeed, I don’t resent the guy. I just don’t hold out much confidence for it. He’s got to prove a lot of people wrong.

Batman

Head of the Wayne foundation for benching Nketiah

Player:Saliba

He's more of a Nani type than a Mkhitaryan type so exactly what you're looking for. Bags of ability and potential with mentality being the limiting factor. If he came and Emery could connect with him he could be an absolutely fantastic signing.

Reactions: CJJ

tap-in

Nothing Wrong With Me
Is he the Denis Suarez back up or are we looking to get both?

We should be looking at them both, Ramsey is off, maybe earlier than planned if we get both, and Özil could be off in the summer. Yes we need a CB but that may be easier done in the summer, especially if we have CL.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom