• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Yaya Sanogo joins Arsenal

Status
Not open for further replies.

cannonade

Established Member
DJ_Markstar said:
Actually don't get the Sanogo hate at all. He doesn't look like the next Messi, but come on, Adebayor looked **** for a while too. Let's see how this kid develops.

Agree that it shouldn't be in the first team, but that isn't his fault.

It's really not him, it's what he represents. This is a club that had Henry and fans are looking for a Giroud upgrade, not an understudy. They would like him to bench Giroud, but he shouldn't be on our bench at all.

He represents all of Wenger's bullshit about finding top top quality, while he gets a Ligue 2 guy out of contract and free. It reeks of Wengers' cheapness and conceit, that this unprepared player can step into the striker position for the senior team.

If he develops then the fans will reconsider, but he is under the most intense pressure (no fault of his own, all on Wenger) and every blown touch is agonized over.

I feel for the player. It's going to be very hard.

MDGoonah41

Established Member
which is why a bunch of people have been arguing for years that wenger has it all wrong. you slowly integrate young players in to the senior side when they push on and show they are ready to displace an established starter. instead, we just sell the established starter and give the squad spot to an untested player who hasn't shown hes ready.

its how gibbs got the LB spot from clichy, and how clichy got it from cole (though to a slightly lesser extent)
its how jenkinson will get the RB spot from sagna next year
its how denilson got flamini/gilberto's spot

its the wenger way, and its not really about development with him, its about cost benefit analysis. its cheaper to promote from within than it is to buy. and if that player comes good, you look like a genius.

our first xi should be filled with experienced, battle tested players. and then if a youngster makes a push and shows hes ready, its his job to push out the player ahead of him. but look at a guy like ramsey. he was thrust in to a key role before he was ready. he picked up a major injury, when he recovered, he just got thrown back in. did all of that playing time help him? probably, but to the detriment of the football club as a whole. winning is first. everything else is footnotes and endnotes. wenger is more preoccupied with the footnotes at this point. its a damn shame, to be honest.

and the worst part is, he puts these pet projects ahead of the success of the club as a whole, and then 9 out of 10 times, these players stab him in the back and jump at the chance to go to a club in a better position to win things. the real losers in all of this are the supporters, which is normally the case.

cannonade

Established Member
...because the supports are paying the highest ticket prices to watch youngsters make mistakes and struggle against experienced opposition.

The ticket prices alone should signify a serious competitive team, not a team sprinkled with reserves.

boyinneedofhumor

MDGoonah41 said:
and the worst part is, he puts these pet projects ahead of the success of the club as a whole, and then 9 out of 10 times, these players stab him in the back and jump at the chance to go to a club in a better position to win things. the real losers in all of this are the supporters, which is normally the case.
Actually, I think its the other way around.

By professing publicly his belief in a youth and placing the burden on their shoulders when they arent ready/developed yet, he's the one who's first in pushing them out there with a dagger behind their backs.

MDGoonah41

Established Member
i dont think thats the case. i think he wanted to keep flamini, hleb, nasri, cesc, clichy and judas. all of them except flamini agitated for moves, if my memory is correct. and flamini left on a free

boyinneedofhumor

If you say he believed in them and wanted to keep them, I agree.

"Judas" leaving to win a trophy, Flamini's interview (see Flamini's thread) seemed to implied that after some time, they turned around and said thats a dagger way too much than what they could endure.
(I actually agree with you in that young players should supplement a core of experienced players, instead of replacing them).

You can call RvP a **** (note that I'm not necessarily his biggest fan).
But you cannot say he did not oblige when asked to keep a media blackout while they sourced for his replacement.

You can call Walcott a mercenary (also note that I'm not his no.1 fan).
But he did stay once better terms were thrashed out.

As for Flamini, this is what I posted in the other thread.
boyinneedofhumor said:
SomGooner said:
I was going to call him names until I saw and read this article and I've changed my mind. <a class="postlink" href="http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/mobile/football/teams/a/arsenal/8010235.stm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/mobile/foo ... 010235.stm</a>" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Flamini turned down numerous interview requests from Italian media outlets to speak with BBC Sport as he attempts to put right the image portrayed of him in the aftermath of his departure from Arsenal.
The 25-year-old was particularly unhappy with Arsenal's handling of the whole affair and Wenger's public suggestion that his exit was motivated by money.
Anxious to be suitably recognised for his increased value to the team - and avoid falling out of contract entirely - the midfielder lost patience with Arsenal's hardball negotiation tactics and left to seek this recognition at the club he supported as a child.
Flamini reveals he would have earned significantly more had he accepted an offer from Spain.
He talks of a special bond in the dressing room last season - pointing specifically to the quartet of himself, Fabregas, Rosicky and Alexander Hleb, who left for Barcelona - and does not believe Wenger did all he could to maintain the unique spirit they had developed.
"I left Marseilles for Arsenal and had the chance to play with top players like Henry, Pires, Bergkamp and Campbell," adds the midfielder. "For me it was a great move."
A great move maybe, but Flamini's attitude had shifted considerably by the summer of 2007, when he entered the final 12 months of his Arsenal contract after three years as a bit-part player.
Flamini told the club he wanted to leave but Wenger challenged him to earn a new deal and when he exploded into life alongside Fabregas in central midfield the ears of Europe's biggest clubs pricked up.
He became an integral member of the side but an improved offer on the contract he signed as a 20-year-old in 2004 was not forthcoming, and from 1 January 2008 he was free to negotiate with potential suitors.
Arsenal eventually sat down with his representatives but a deal reportedly worth £55,000-a-week was rejected and the player agreed to join Milan on a free transfer with a signing-on-fee thought to be in the region of £4m.
Unhappy with Arsenal's handling of the affair - sounds like RvP (re media backout before moving over to ManU).
Does not believe Wenger did all he could to maintain the unique spirit - sounds like Gilberto vs Gallas for captaincy, and Toure.
Anxious to suitably recognized for his increased value - sounds like Walcott.
Became an integral member of the side but an improved offer...was not forthcoming - sounds like Sagna.

tap-in

Nothing Wrong With Me
a_fourteen said:
So what's the news on this lad? Can he play any role this season given our shortage of strikers?

My concern with Sanogo is that he came here with a tag of being a bit injury prone. To then have a long term injury so quickly only adds to this tag. Wenger certainly wont rely on him for this season, so hopefully he still buys a CF. Sanogo could be a good CF but not this season.

CurryFlavoured

Established Member
I think this lad has a lot of the tools to make a good CF, he's very raw though and the injuries aren't helping. At the end of day he was a gamble, if he is a success it's fantastic, if he's not we haven't lost anything.

a_fourteen

Established Member
He's only 20, free, and Wenger's probably paying him in cheese and crackers. So what have we got to lose?

fabo

6.51 / 10
Even from limited viewings, would you pick the kid over Bendtner to start a Premier League match or come on to get a goal?

The answer is no. And Bendtner is mediocre.

baccy_man

Established Member
Even when Sanogo gets fit he is going to need a run of games to get up to pace with the speed of the premier league,
He will probably play in the reserves before getting into the 1st team.

cannonade

Established Member
fabo said:
Even from limited viewings, would you pick the kid over Bendtner to start a Premier League match or come on to get a goal?

The answer is no. And Bendtner is mediocre.
From what I've seen, Sanogo has no business being in the first team this season. Maybe next season? Only Wenger knows that answer.

Wrighty4eva

Established Member
Gonna be like a new signing this kid, hope he can stay fit so we can see what he can do, lets Go SANOGO !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom