Yaya Sanogo joins Arsenal

Discussion in 'Arsenal Talk' started by leo_ense, Jul 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cannonade

cannonade Well-Known Member

It's really not him, it's what he represents. This is a club that had Henry and fans are looking for a Giroud upgrade, not an understudy. They would like him to bench Giroud, but he shouldn't be on our bench at all.

He represents all of Wenger's bullshit about finding top top quality, while he gets a Ligue 2 guy out of contract and free. It reeks of Wengers' cheapness and conceit, that this unprepared player can step into the striker position for the senior team.

If he develops then the fans will reconsider, but he is under the most intense pressure (no fault of his own, all on Wenger) and every blown touch is agonized over.

I feel for the player. It's going to be very hard.

2. MDGoonah41

MDGoonah41 New Member

which is why a bunch of people have been arguing for years that wenger has it all wrong. you slowly integrate young players in to the senior side when they push on and show they are ready to displace an established starter. instead, we just sell the established starter and give the squad spot to an untested player who hasn't shown hes ready.

its how gibbs got the LB spot from clichy, and how clichy got it from cole (though to a slightly lesser extent)
    its how jenkinson will get the RB spot from sagna next year
    its how denilson got flamini/gilberto's spot

its the wenger way, and its not really about development with him, its about cost benefit analysis. its cheaper to promote from within than it is to buy. and if that player comes good, you look like a genius.

our first xi should be filled with experienced, battle tested players. and then if a youngster makes a push and shows hes ready, its his job to push out the player ahead of him. but look at a guy like ramsey. he was thrust in to a key role before he was ready. he picked up a major injury, when he recovered, he just got thrown back in. did all of that playing time help him? probably, but to the detriment of the football club as a whole. winning is first. everything else is footnotes and endnotes. wenger is more preoccupied with the footnotes at this point. its a damn shame, to be honest.

and the worst part is, he puts these pet projects ahead of the success of the club as a whole, and then 9 out of 10 times, these players stab him in the back and jump at the chance to go to a club in a better position to win things. the real losers in all of this are the supporters, which is normally the case.

3. cannonade

...because the supports are paying the highest ticket prices to watch youngsters make mistakes and struggle against experienced opposition.

The ticket prices alone should signify a serious competitive team, not a team sprinkled with reserves.

4. boyinneedofhumor

boyinneedofhumor Active Member

Actually, I think its the other way around.

By professing publicly his belief in a youth and placing the burden on their shoulders when they arent ready/developed yet, he's the one who's first in pushing them out there with a dagger behind their backs.

5. MDGoonah41

MDGoonah41 New Member

i dont think thats the case. i think he wanted to keep flamini, hleb, nasri, cesc, clichy and judas. all of them except flamini agitated for moves, if my memory is correct. and flamini left on a free

6. boyinneedofhumor

boyinneedofhumor Active Member

If you say he believed in them and wanted to keep them, I agree.

"Judas" leaving to win a trophy, Flamini's interview (see Flamini's thread) seemed to implied that after some time, they turned around and said thats a dagger way too much than what they could endure.
    (I actually agree with you in that young players should supplement a core of experienced players, instead of replacing them).

You can call RvP a **** (note that I'm not necessarily his biggest fan).
    But you cannot say he did not oblige when asked to keep a media blackout while they sourced for his replacement.

You can call Walcott a mercenary (also note that I'm not his no.1 fan).
    But he did stay once better terms were thrashed out.

As for Flamini, this is what I posted in the other thread.

7. infineon

infineon Active Member

Same mistakes repeated over and over

8. a_fourteen

a_fourteen Well-Known Member

So what's the news on this lad? Can he play any role this season given our shortage of strikers?

9. tap-in

tap-in Nothing Wrong With Me

My concern with Sanogo is that he came here with a tag of being a bit injury prone. To then have a long term injury so quickly only adds to this tag. Wenger certainly wont rely on him for this season, so hopefully he still buys a CF. Sanogo could be a good CF but not this season.

10. ArsenesNO1Fan

ArsenesNO1Fan Well-Known Member

We need this kid or another to have an Anelka or even Kevin Campbell breakthrough, it'd solve so many problems

11. Sydney Gooner

Sydney Gooner New Member

12. Wrighty4eva

Wrighty4eva Well-Known Member

change the title to "sanogo joins Arsenal's treatment table"

13. jones

jones Not German FFS Trusted

Thank you for your valuable input.

14. Wrighty4eva

more than welcome sir

15. CurryFlavoured

CurryFlavoured Well-Known Member

I think this lad has a lot of the tools to make a good CF, he's very raw though and the injuries aren't helping. At the end of day he was a gamble, if he is a success it's fantastic, if he's not we haven't lost anything.

16. a_fourteen

a_fourteen Well-Known Member

He's only 20, free, and Wenger's probably paying him in cheese and crackers. So what have we got to lose?

17. fabo

fabo 6.51 / 10

Even from limited viewings, would you pick the kid over Bendtner to start a Premier League match or come on to get a goal?

The answer is no. And Bendtner is mediocre.

18. baccy_man

baccy_man Active Member

Even when Sanogo gets fit he is going to need a run of games to get up to pace with the speed of the premier league,
    He will probably play in the reserves before getting into the 1st team.

19. cannonade

From what I've seen, Sanogo has no business being in the first team this season. Maybe next season? Only Wenger knows that answer.

20. Wrighty4eva

Gonna be like a new signing this kid, hope he can stay fit so we can see what he can do, lets Go SANOGO !!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.