• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Yaya Sanogo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sydney Gooner

Established Member
'When he's fit, he's excellent': MirrorFootball's in-depth scouting report of Yaya Sanogo
By Andrew Gibney

French second division side Auxerre are a club well known by Arsenal boss Arsène Wenger.

If this morning’s reports are said to be believed, Yaya Sanogo will be the next player to follow in the footsteps of both Bacary Sagna and Abou Diaby. With his contract up at the end of the season, the 20-year-old is rumoured to be signing a four-year deal that will bring him to the Emirates this summer for absolutely nothing.

Although he is not the household name that Arsenal fans will be craving, he does possess the raw ability needed to make it in the Premier League.

Sanogo is an impressive physical specimen, with his size and imposing strength he also brings speed and an electric quickness that can terrify defenders. Still to fully develop he is already very athletic, similar to Aston Villa’s Christian Benteke. He attributes his technical skills to the endless five-a-side matches during his time as a child at CO Les Ulis, the same side where Thierry Henry started his career.

Blessed with a good first touch - not just with his feet - he is very capable of holding the ball up with his back to goal much like current Gunner Olivier Giroud. Unlike Giroud, Sanogo can then also use his muscle and explosive speed to burst past his defender and finish confidently.

With all the tools in his arsenal there is no surprise that Sanogo’s name has been constantly linked with a move away from his current club for over two years now. Dropping to Ligue 2 last season would have seen most young talents move on to pastures new, but one hanging doubt stopped the top clubs making a move. Unfortunately Sanogo’s last two years have been dogged with injury.

In 2010 after impressing for French U19 side he suffered a double break of his leg playing for Auxerre reserves, which ended his season. By the start of the 2011 season he had successfully recovered, was playing again for the first team and earned a call up for the French U21 side.

Everything was going well, but just after scoring his first senior goal against Toulouse he suffered another setback, injuries relating to his original leg break would keep him out for another year.

Another spell of rehab saw him make his return at the end of 2012, returning to the first team in Decemeber he scored on his first game back as Auxerre beat Niort 4-2. Then after finding his match fitness he exploded back onto the footballing world, scoring seven goals in just two games. Although Auxerre were faltering in the league, the spotlight had returned to the Stade Abbe Deschamps, and Sanogo was the name on scout’s lips around Europe.

Of course, in true Sanogo fashion this new found form was followed by another injury, this time to his thigh, but again he returned, and scored in Auxerre’s last game against Angers.

The warning signs are clear to see, in three years he only managed seven starts in Ligue 1.

However the positives are also as clear, when fit this season he has scored nine goals in seven starts.

Set to leave France this summer the future of Yaya Sanogo is certainly undecided. All the elements are there for this young Frenchman to develop into a very exciting and dangerous centre forward. With his body still developing there is hope that the injuries that have plagued his career so far will become a thing of the past.

A record of 16 goals in 24 games would be enough to get any fans excited about a new signing, but when you realise that comes after four seasons of football there are reasons to be sceptical.

With a move to the Emirates this summer on the cards there is no reason for Wenger to rush Sanogo into the first-team, with the right care and attention given to the now 20-year old, he has all the talent to become one of the Premier League’s most deadly strikers.

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/yaya-sanogo-scouting-report-arsenal-1894455" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/ ... al-1894455</a>

ArseGod

I don't really see any negatives here. Apparently the guy has talent and is still very young. Injuries...sure. But he's not costing any money really. He won't be a marquee signing this summer and will most likely feature in the reserves and CCup games.

Not fussed. If he shakes off his injuries this will turn out to be a brilliant bit of business.

Pea-Tear-Griffin

Not really familiar on him.
Sounds talented, but this shouldn't be an excuse for not signing any striker.
Loan to a possible newly promoted team e.g. Watford, they have shown there willingness to loan.

Penn_

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Can't see what's not to like about this, wages will be relativly small. Seems like a great prospect, speed, height, power, work rate and touch. Hardly the sort of player that will affect other dealings as well, most likely will get loaned to some EPL club. Maybe he could go to West Brom and replace Lukaku if Chelsea take him back.

glaveror

Yaya who? :)
Since I don't know anything about him I won't go and bash signing him-for now it's nothing to be excited about nor it is something to complain about. Most important thing is that he isn't our only new attacking player and hopefuly he'll go on and do some big things here.

coopsollini

9 games in 3 years and only 20 years old. On that basis a very low salary would have to be offered initially as it is a significant risk of buying another Diaby. I thought we already had a couple of good youth strikers and It does not solve the reliance on Giroud in the 1st team.

Dokaka

AM's resident Hammer
coopsollini said:
9 games in 3 years and only 20 years old. On that basis a very low salary would have to be offered initially as it is a significant risk of buying another Diaby. I thought we already had a couple of good youth strikers and It does not solve the reliance on Giroud in the 1st team.

Who? Afobe was shocking for Bolton and Akpom has barely hit puberty.

GDeep™

League is very weak
I was on the Afobe hype train, but to be fair to myself that was before his injuries and after pretty effective loan spell at Huddersfield, where he played well after making the step up from the reserves.

We over rate our youngsters, no doubt.

Buhry

Established Member

This is good, as long as it doesn't affect us signing other attackers. We still need 2 good new forwards imo. A winger and a CF.

krengon

One Arsène Wenger
Trusted ⭐
This signing has the Amaury Bischoff vibe over it for me.. Never seen this guy play though so won't judge, but his injuries are a worry.

ASAP Berg

Established Member
A physical beast striker with a great first touch. . . have a feeling this kid will be a beast for us.

Exciting striker, I hope injuries do not impede his progress, I cannot even imagine what Wenger could do with a canvas like this kid over the next 2-3 seasons if he stayed injury free.

Anzac

Established Member
And will be the reason why we won't make a play to sign another physical striker like Benteke or Bony.

I'd like to see him eased into the season via the CCup and then given a short loan, rather than go directly on loan from the start.
I'd like to have the option of keeping him as cover/rotation if he settles well.

Taylor Gang Gunners

Say Yeh or You're Making The List
Trusted ⭐
We've definitely got room for a talented young striker in our squad.

-Full of potential✓
-Free✓
-Good age✓
-Signed by Arsène✓

Looking forward to see how he develops here, welcome young Yaya.

Macho

In search of Pure Profit 💸
Dusted 🔻

A bit apprehensive cause of his injury record.

Arsène's fortay though, he seems to get these type of players right so lets see what happens.

mo50

Established Member
Floating said:
Good compilation of his full highlights against Portugal U20's:

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmkChOuVPbk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmkChOuVPbk</a>" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Reminds me of a more intelligent Adebayor (in his Arsenal days).

Look at the size of him. He definitely has that body movement and style of Adebayor before he went AWOL. He's also very quick for someone his size.

I'm all behind this signing. Even if it doesn't work out, he'll be on a very small salary and we'd have got him for essentially nothing.

Buhry

Established Member

I just hope signing this guy doesn't get in the way of us signing forwards that will improve our first 11. Because that's what we really need at this point. It shouldn't, but with our history it would not suprise me.

He does seem like he could become a very good striker if he gets over his injury issues though, his goalscoring record is very impressive especially considering his lack of any sort of consistent run of games.

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐
Buhry said:
I just hope signing this guy doesn't get in the way of us signing forwards that will improve our first 11. Because that's what we really need at this point. It shouldn't, but with our history it would not suprise me.

i think with this signing am sure now Arsène will one more striker lets hope a quality one.

Bigbludfire

Established Member
I hate his "big lad" type, but as long as we don't have to rely on him when he's proven nothing then I have no problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom