• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Yids!

Is the use of the word Yids and Yiddos in threatening chants or slogans acceptable?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

• Don't Know

• Sometimes

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Split

have a look at this thread

What are your views on the use of the word Yid or Yiddo's in Arsenal chants and tatoos like "killer yids"

Am I over-reacting?

I know it's been going on for years, I know it happens at other clubs, I know it happens outside of football, but does that mean we should accept it?

IMPORTANT DISCLAIMER! this is not a personal dig or vendetta at 'Sol' or 'Clockend Faithful' as neither of them actually said anything particularly offensive, (they just eluded to something that 'rattled me')

Nothings wrong with it whatsoever, as chips n curry sauce has already stated they address themselves as being so so why cant we as their rivals? Add to that the isreali flag being evident at their games then is it really any wonder?

Yids....i **** em!

beaney

Seeing as the Tottenham supportes call themselves 'The Yid Army' then I don't see anything wrong with it at all.

i see you point, and for this instance i agree with you.

BUT that would not be the case, if for example, when being racist against black people.
i.e. black/coloured people (sorry, dont want to offend anyone) say things like "yo n****r" or "was up n****r" to each other.

but if a white person said that to them, they'd **** them up!

so when is it acceptable or not?
it doesnt mean that just because they call themselves it that we can.
they mean it in that sense as a term of endearment, not detrimentally.

James

Established Member
I remember the Everton game for 01/02 season when we won double and lifted the premiership, the programme asked for supporters not to sing any songs using the term 'yido', and in particular pointed out the Sol song

Beany

ITK
Trusted ⭐

Interesting thread.

I believe Spuds fans have adopted an age old Jewish art; that of self deprecation.

This is a fundamental part of Jewish humour founded on the back of years of oppression.

Thus if you can't laugh at youself what can you laugh at? An act, if you will, of self-defence.

A similar vein of humour has appeared, albeit more recently, in the Afro-American population.

Thus they have no problem with referring to themselves as n*****s.

I do find it bizarre that posters on this forum think it's fine to abuse Spuds fans re: their allegedly Jewish roots just because they revel in the connection. Chicken and egg anyone?

Equally so given the make up of our own board; the club is run, in effect, by Dein & Fitzman, being two well regarded and extremely successful Jews. It was these self same Jews that brought us to Wenger and made us the club we are today.

Also and of course Arsenal have just as many Jewish fans as Spuds; it's an act of chance that they are the "yids" and we are the "yid haters".

Let's draw an analogy, also, to Chel$ki whose fans are the most virulently anti-semitic on the face of the planet yet worship (reluctantly?) probably the most successful Jew on the planet, Roman Abramovich.

Let's face it; it's all bollocks. It's slightly more acceptable, in football today, to express anti semitic over anti Black/Asian/whatever views. It represents a natural escape valve for the small minority of thugs in the game. the rest of us follow like sheep without even thinking about it. And I count myself in that group, as a Jewish Arsenal fan who happily (albeit drunkenly) engaged in a few rounds of the old Sol Campbell tune at Cardiff a couple of years back.

Fact is we should all be ashamed.

A

Anonymous

I CANT BELIEVE THIS, what a ****ing load of bollox.
our fans are soft enough and now we are even arguing against each other saying we should abuse the yids, ****ing embarressment. the day i stop abusing yids is the day i die. yids abuse us, we abuse them, end of. now cut this politically correct bullshit

Soler

Established Member
Yes. His surname is a give away. Abramovich is just the Russian spelling for "Abraham".

A

Anonymous

why dont we also write letters of complaints to the FA saying we find the opposition teams chants of "same old arsenal always cheating" abusive.
why dont we ban the words "manure" and "chelscum" on this website ?
political correctness is ruining this country.
whilst white people are being banned from saying anything that we seem racist "bahh bahh blacksheep" is now banned at schools, we do nothing to stop the foreigners and other cultures abusing us. the amount of times i walk down my street and get called a white something or other is amazing. and noone seems to care about that. this is exactly the same as this topic, we are trying to ban racism and any abusive banter between clubs, whereas the other clubs are just getting worse. this results in us not being able to give anything back, and have to sit there and take abuse all the time. just like i have to do when walking down my street.
see how i mean politically correctness is ruining equality !!!
now i know many on here will start calling me racist - which i am not being - i am merely speaking the truth. we have had no complaints from the yids, but we suddenly decide that we should NOT be saying 'yids', do people just want our support to become the laughing stock of europe ? its going the right way about it
WHAT A LOAD OF ****

Split

clockend_faithful said:
why dont we also write letters of complaints to the FA saying we find the opposition teams chants of "same old arsenal always cheating" abusive.
why dont we ban the words "manure" and "chelscum" on this website ?
political correctness is ruining this country.
whilst white people are being banned from saying anything that we seem racist "bahh bahh blacksheep" is now banned at schools, we do nothing to stop the foreigners and other cultures abusing us. the amount of times i walk down my street and get called a white something or other is amazing. and noone seems to care about that. this is exactly the same as this topic, we are trying to ban racism and any abusive banter between clubs, whereas the other clubs are just getting worse. this results in us not being able to give anything back, and have to sit there and take abuse all the time. just like i have to do when walking down my street.
see how i mean politically correctness is ruining equality !!!
now i know many on here will start calling me racist - which i am not being - i am merely speaking the truth. we have had no complaints from the yids, but we suddenly decide that we should NOT be saying 'yids', do people just want our support to become the laughing stock of europe ? its going the right way about it
WHAT A LOAD OF s**t

you are a brainless ****.

Split

Beany said:
Interesting thread.

I believe Spuds fans have adopted an age old Jewish art; that of self deprecation.

This is a fundamental part of Jewish humour founded on the back of years of oppression.

Thus if you can't laugh at youself what can you laugh at? An act, if you will, of self-defence.

A similar vein of humour has appeared, albeit more recently, in the Afro-American population.

Thus they have no problem with referring to themselves as n*****s.

I do find it bizarre that posters on this forum think it's fine to abuse Spuds fans re: their allegedly Jewish roots just because they revel in the connection. Chicken and egg anyone?

Equally so given the make up of our own board; the club is run, in effect, by Dein & Fitzman, being two well regarded and extremely successful Jews. It was these self same Jews that brought us to Wenger and made us the club we are today.

Also and of course Arsenal have just as many Jewish fans as Spuds; it's an act of chance that they are the "yids" and we are the "yid haters".

Let's draw an analogy, also, to Chel$ki whose fans are the most virulently anti-semitic on the face of the planet yet worship (reluctantly?) probably the most successful Jew on the planet, Roman Abramovich.

Let's face it; it's all bollocks. It's slightly more acceptable, in football today, to express anti semitic over anti Black/Asian/whatever views. It represents a natural escape valve for the small minority of thugs in the game. the rest of us follow like sheep without even thinking about it. And I count myself in that group, as a Jewish Arsenal fan who happily (albeit drunkenly) engaged in a few rounds of the old Sol Campbell tune at Cardiff a couple of years back.

Fact is we should all be ashamed.

Good post!

In all honesty the chants of Yiddo's etc is a relatively tame example of racism, it in a way over the years at highbury it's original meaning has somewhat been lost. Arsenal fans use the "Yiddo" chants etc to target Sp**s fans, usually without feeling a particular contempt for Jewish people, but just Sp**s fans.

However, it is an unfortunate that it can often get out of hand and become offensive, and like you say, by people who follow like sheep without even thinking about. The problem with this is that it gives those people who do see it as an 'anti-jew' thing rather than just an 'anti-Sp**s' thing, the sense that they can acceptably and justifiably behave and talk in a racist or anti-semitic way. By the same token it means that people often adopt this term and use it without understanding it or how offensive it can be.

Like I said the chants of "We hate Tottenham" "yiddo's" is relatively tame (although I still dislike it) but they are other chants, slogans and ways in people talk, that take it too far. And that is the danger of believing that 'tamer' things don't matter.

Beany

ITK
Trusted ⭐

Precisely, Split.

I am aware that for the vast majority of fans that (and I'm sure this includes you clockend) the use the term yid in the context of spuds is not intended to be offensive, per se, to Jews.

And I admit I don't find it particularly or at all offensive in MOST contexts.

But quite frankly, if someone is a big enough knob to tatoo "killer yid" across their face, or whatever, it's pretty clear to me that they have a serious attitude/mental problem/deficiency which goes beyond a dislike for our poor relations down the road.

Split

Beany said:
Precisely, Split.

I am aware that for the vast majority of fans that (and I'm sure this includes you clockend) the use the term yid in the context of spuds is not intended to be offensive, per se, to Jews.

But quite frankly, if someone is a big enough knob to tatoo "killer yid" across their face, or whatever, it's pretty clear to me that they have a serious attitude/mental problem/deficiency which goes beyond a dislike for our poor relations down the road.

Thank you, finally someone on my wavelength with more than half a braincell!

vin de guerre

Beany said:
Precisely, Split.

I totally agree.
It is about time that people did realise that Football does not exist in a cultural vacuum.

A

Anonymous

you are a brainless ****.

Like I said the chants of "We hate Tottenham" "yiddo's" is relatively tame (although I still dislike it) but they are other chants, slogans and ways in people talk, that take it too far. And that is the danger of believing that 'tamer' things don't matter.
and you are a politically correct prik. im not here for yet another slagging match. you have displayed that you do not feel a hate towards the ****, and that you are not so passionate. you go to an arsenal match vs the ****, and look at the passion and intensity. then you would not be stupid enough to complain about the word "yid".
i am not brainless, i am just againt little priks who think they can change the world by being all political correct. end of the day you are being picky and fussy which is rather stupid and pointless. if you disagree with the chant "we hate tottenham" then you are not a true gooner, no true gooner can love arsenal and not feel dislike to the yids. maybe if you and the rest of your politically correct mates actually went down the the ****e hart lane and saw how they treated and abused us, you would not be calling us brainless etc.

if someone is a big enough knob to tatoo "killer yid" across their face, or whatever, it's pretty clear to me that they have a serious attitude/mental problem/deficiency which goes beyond a dislike for our poor relations down the road.
i find it funny how so many on this board jump on the bandwagon and follow what one person says. sol mentioned to me about a man i may know with killer yid on his face, and suddenly all these people who have neveer experienced the true meaning of rivalry are using it against us. why dont you come to an arsenal vs tottenham match, preferably at the lane, then come back and tell me that we arewrong for calling them yids.
trust me, they are ALOT worse.
sol i expect you to back me up on this :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom