• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Yids!

Is the use of the word Yids and Yiddos in threatening chants or slogans acceptable?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

• Don't Know

• Sometimes

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Split

SOL, it is about knowing where the line needs to be drawn.

It is about realising that Football does not exist in a cultural vacuum.

A

Anonymous

Split said:
SOL, it is about knowing where the line needs to be drawn.

It is about realising that Football does not exist in a cultural vacuum.

You have strong values and I respect you for that. I think I am going have to be very careful about what I say - I dont want to be banned aswell - I like it here!

All im saying is that whilst they continue to call themselves this said word I dont see the harm in calling it them aswell. And it is not an attack on Jewish people, but Sp**s fans only.

Allyboy

Established Member
If there comes a point the Sp**s fans stop referring to themselves as yids, then we should stop too, but as Sol said, we are only repeating what they are already saying.

We are saying it to THEM, after THEY said it, and we are not directing it towards anyone else.

Words have difference contexts, and in this context it means a "Sp**s fan". If we were using it at any other context it could be construed as being racist, but its no different than Sp**s fans calling us Gooners, because that is what we call ourselves.

If Sp**s stop calling themselves it then there is no reason for us to call them it. If you think they should because it is racist against Jews then thats a different argument and has different strains of thought.

Personally I think the hissing noises and the gas chamber references is going too far, there are no other contexts you can take those in.

But in this case, a Sp**s fan is a yid. Its just a word, and its context can be varied.

If they are not, then why do they insist on referring to themselves as it?

Those of you who have been to WHL will know just the pure hate they have for us. You really do take your life in your hands on darby day at that ground. A couple of my mates have been beaten up by Sp**s fans at that ground, for being an Arsenal fan. But s**t happnes, like it or not that is football.
[/quote]

great point sol, ive received a slap there in the past simply for coming out of the park lane and i wasnt even in colours (not that i ever do wear them but thats not the point.) will be interesting to see how many people here complaining will be present come sunday- perhaps then theyll have a clearer understanding of the hatred and passion involved in a north london derby.

im not condoning any racist chanting (regarding holocaust etc) but i will carry on using the term "yid" regardless, as to me im only addressing those that choose to follow the **** not members of a religious faith.

also, preventing CE Faithful from expressing his veiwpoints on this subject is bang out of line considering he did little to incite.

i dont see why something like this is getting in the way of a friendly game of football who cares about this s**t we arsenal fans have more important things to worry about like the next few games and who cares what they call each other im happy for them(i think) anyway i got better thing to do than think about this crap

Alexone234

It si fundamentally wrong really. I mean a kill yids tatoo or a No Surrender tat is really rather right wing. If most of their fans were black would it be ok to call them Niggers or get kill niggers markings. No it wouldn't. To me its a wrong approach to take when singing chants.

A

Anonymous

It si fundamentally wrong really. I mean a kill yids tatoo or a No Surrender tat is really rather right wing. If most of their fans were black would it be ok to call them Niggers or get kill niggers markings. No it wouldn't. To me its a wrong approach to take when singing chants.
is it me or are many ppl goin OTT on this subject. SPLIT you seem to think that i am justifying racist chants. i am not, i am merely trying to defend why gooners sing yido songs. we do not mean it offensively to jews but to the ****. you seem to think that it is racist to jews, if some take it offensive then its their problem to be honest. so what if we are singing 'we hate yids'. we do not mean 'we hate jews' we mean 'we hate tottenham'. and i find it rather petty that jews would take that offensively. SPLIT you seem content on calling us stupid and saying we need braincells, well i think the petty people that take this yido thing so seriously need some braincells. because they should recognise that we are not abusing them, we are abusing the ****, they call themselves yids, thus we abuse them by saying we hate yids. if a jewish person takes this so racially i suggest you go and follow cricket, because its something you will find everywhere you go. it is not racism, its banter, and until the PC people realise this then we will have conflicts like these. now the austwichz chants are racist, they dont target Sp**s fans they target jews, but just simple 'yido' is clearly aimed at tottenham fans. and if a jew cant understand this and take it like water off a ducks back then personally i think they are petty.
sol cheers for supporting my bruva !! :p

by the way, my bruva wants to know why you view NO SURRENDER as being racist ?

Split

Alexone234 said:

I was just going to post the same thing, but in a rather convoluted way.

so thanks for saving me the effort!

Sol, Young1 etc. let's imagine that Sp**s had traditionally a large black following (instead of a jewish one) and they had a small fraction of hooligans who'd called themselves "nigger army" in retaliation to the racist abuse they'd recieved over the years.

Would it be okay then to call all Sp**s fans Niggers?!

Just like it is wrong to shout Nigger chants at say Zimbabwe fans, it is wrong to shout Yiddo chants at Tottenham fans!

Soler

Established Member
Split,

Do you think any of your preaching will stop it from happening at White Hart Lane this weekend? Honestly?

A

Anonymous

you have a point, but what i cant understand is the politically correctness !!
forgive me if im wrong, have we not been calling Sp**s yids for decades ? how many Sp**s fans do we see coming on these boards and complaining ?? NONE.
why is is always our fans that seem to be so petty and PC. soft,sad and stupid. no wonder our atmosphere is so piss poor when highbury is filled with these people.
before you go of trying to explain everything again SPLIT, i understand exactly what you are saying, i just totally disagree. and until its made illegal i wil always call Sp**s the yids. as will all other gooners. it seem to me that i/my bruv are on the majority this time. and everyone seems to be agreeing with what we are saying, and its only SPLIT and mini that seem to be so bothered about the term. maybe you should recognise you are being petty and arguing over something stupid that will NEVER change

Split

young1/CEF/Sol et al, You are completely and utterly wrong!

If Yid just meant "Sp**s fans" than why the hell would you chant it at them as some kind of insult?? It would be like opposing fans shouting "Gooners, Gooners!" at us!!! Would that be offensive? No cos it bloody well wouldn't! Because Gooners does ONLY mean Arsenal fans!!

What people are doing when they shout "Yiddo!" is calling Sp**s fans Jewish as if that is an insult in itself!?! They are not shouting "Sp**s ****, Sp**s ****!". Just like when racists shout Pakki at Asians (not just people from Pakistan!) they are shouting it in order to insult them because they think it is bad to be Asian!

The is a very thin line between ignorance and racist. And you, your brother, Sol and many others are being very ignorant!

I understand that you and many other misguided football fans use the term "yids" to mean tottenham fan and you don't mean any harm to Jews. But the plain and simply truth is: IT IS HARMFUL TO JEWS! you cannot get away from it! and you cannot expect Jews to "take it with a pinch of salt!"

Why not just shour Sp**s **** (that's not very nice, but it isn't racist)

Soler

Established Member
It doesn't have the same kind of effect as "yiddo ****", and it won't change because NOBODY WILL LISTEN.

Split

"forgive me if im wrong, have we not been calling Sp**s yids for decades ?"

You are correct young1. Arsenal fans have been calling Sp**s yids for decades.

BUT so have racist been calling black's: Niggers; Asians: Paki's for centuries!! But does that make it right?

No it bloody doesn't!!!

Soler

Established Member
We ****ing know it's not right, but it's not going to change - will you just admit that already?

Alexone234

any chant referring specifically to race designed to cause harm or delivered with negative/aggresive overtones is racist. Putting it into a football context doesn;t make it right.

I think I can give an exact example of what I mean.

Shouting Yiddo at a Sp**s fan is only carried out because of negative connotations regarding Jewish people. Otherwise you wouldn't use the term. Why don't we call them the whites? 'hey yeh whitey, you ****, I wanna know wher your captains gone'? Most of their fans are white, but we don't call them whitey because there is no perceived negativity surrounging this. By calling them Yids as a term of abuse say that being Jewish is wrong or bad. Which of course it isn't.

What is trying to be said here is that

A) No one condones racism in football/chants etc..

B) They call themselves yids, so we can however the comments should stop there and shouldn't extend to gassing and comments about the millions of jews that were murdered.

Split

Mad Jens said:
We f****g know it's not right, but it's not going to change - will you just admit that already?

Well that is just a ****e attitude to have! If we just accept it of course it will never change!

But the truth is Mad Jens, things can change!

That's why people defeated Hitler, because people knew it wasn't right and did something about it!

That's why women know have the vote, because people knew it wasn't right and did something about it!

I am not trying to change the world I'm just trying to make people think, because I am shocked and disgusted by some people on here!

Split

Alexone234 said:
any chant referring specifically to race designed to cause harm or delivered with negative/aggresive overtones is racist. Putting it into a football context doesn;t make it right.

I think I can give an exact example of what I mean.

Shouting Yiddo at a Sp**s fan is only carried out because of negative connotations regarding Jewish people. Otherwise you wouldn't use the term. Why don't we call them the whites? 'hey yeh whitey, you ****, I wanna know wher your captains gone'? Most of their fans are white, but we don't call them whitey because there is no perceived negativity surrounging this. By calling them Yids as a term of abuse say that being Jewish is wrong or bad. Which of course it isn't.
well said!

Everyone listen to this man, cos you sure as hell ain't listening to me!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom