• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Yids!

Is the use of the word Yids and Yiddos in threatening chants or slogans acceptable?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

• Don't Know

• Sometimes

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Soler

Established Member
Sigh.

Stand in front of 3,000 screaming Gooners at White Hart Lane and tell them to "shush". Then proceed to tell "you mustn't say 'yiddo' because it means jew and it is bad", tell me how bloody successfull that will be?

And don't lie. You politically correct hippies do try to change the world, and do try to change peoples' opinions on things.

Just for the record, no I don't call them yiddo's or yid ****, but I have enough sense to know what you're preaching will fall on deaf ears for years to come.

Split

Mad Jens, I very rarely make this much fuss about things, and you are right it is nigh on impossible to suddenly get it all to stop. All i do is not join in. But if I come into contact with people who do join in these chants and can't see that it is wrong I find it very frustrating and want to get through to them! This is the first time I have ever tried to "preach" to someone about this!

I may be coming across as a "PC hippy" but I can assure I am not.

Exiled In Newcastle

Established Member
I actually think that there is absolutely nothing wrong with calling the **** yids.

BUT, you've got to look at what is being chanted. This is not the 70's, and the abhorrent 'nothing makes me feel...' and 'one man...' type chants do not get heard anymore. I can't think of a current Arsenal song that refers in any way shape of form to Judaism. A Yid in football parlance is a **** fan.

Other clubs (notably chelski) still revel in ant-semitic chants, but our chants are anti-'yid'.

People are far too prissy these days, and whilst political correctness was at first a valid movement, it's got flaming pathetic. When will people learn that it's the meaning not the word that counts?

One post which did strike me was minis about yid being alright to use between Jews only. That is patheticly racist if you think about it. 'I can say this because I'm Jewish, but you can't'.

Now automatically because I say there's nothing wrong with using the word in a football context isolated from Judaism some people will consider me a racist. Well as someone that's dedicated one hell of a lot of time and effort to anti-racist groups since the 70's, I know I'm not.

If I could end with one thing thats always confused me. How did 'yid' (which I assume comes from the language yiddish) become an insult?

Split

Exiled,

How did 'yid' (which I assume comes from the language yiddish) become an insult?

In the same way that 'Nigger' (which I know comes from the word negro) became an insult!

Split

I just find it hard to accept that for whatever reason Anti-semitism has come to be acceptable within football over the years.

Exiled In Newcastle

Established Member
And the whole point is that in context of football it's not in any way anti-semitic. What was chanted in the 70's/80's was, but how on earth is 'where's your captain gone' anti-semitic?

The Mini

young1 said:
how many Sp**s fans do we see coming on these boards and complaining ?? NONE.

Do you know that this is unofficial? People don't exactly know this place exists.

young1 said:
why is is always our fans that seem to be so petty and PC. soft,sad and stupid. no wonder our atmosphere is so piss poor when highbury is filled with these people.

It's not PC people, it's clever people who understand that a "Yid" is a Jew. And I am not Soft, Sad or Stupid... I am Jewish and I am standing up to people like you who seem to think that just because stupid Sp**s fans think that they should call themselves the Yid Army, it means that you can offend a religion.

young1 said:
it seem to me that i/my bruv are on the majority this time. and everyone seems to be agreeing with what we are saying, and its only SPLIT and mini that seem to be so bothered about the term.

I understand that I am in the minority, but I have a point to prove and I will put my point across and not run away because there are more stupid people.

young1 said:
maybe you should recognise you are being petty and arguing over something stupid that will NEVER change

I understand that too, but I believe that at least I can get rid of this misconception and abuse.

A

Anonymous

Split said:
I just find it hard to accept that for whatever reason Anti-semitism has come to be acceptable within football over the years.

Look, this is one thing you are just going to have to get over, because it is not going to stop.

It is not meant to be anti-semitic, just anti-tottenham. Of the people who will use that word on Sunday I bet 99.9999999% have nothing what so ever against Jews.

Just think yourself lucky you are not a Chelsea fan.

The Mini

Could this topic be locked because it's stupid, hurtful and is going to make to break every rule in Arsenal Mania.

Exiled In Newcastle

Established Member
I can't see anything in this thread that merits it being locked since clickend was blocked off. If it upsets you, then use your power of censorship and don't read it.

lewdikris

Established Member
The issue might actually be more complicated than people are making it - but also much much simpler.

If a non-Jewish Tottenham fan labels himself a Yid, and invites opposition fans to call him such - who actually is being 'racist' in that situation? The ones taking someone else's 'name' as their own, or the ones using it against them?

The answer is probably both and neither at the same time. It's cultural misappropriation rather than 'racism' as people might like to see it. There is a massive difference.

I think this is what all the Jewish forum-users objecting to the term should be objecting to, if they wish to: that the Tottenham fans, mostly non-Jewish, label themselves Yids rather than other fans rising to it. If there's anything inappropriate here that's probably it.

The holocaust songs are of course a totally different thing, and are a disgrace.

Sonic Youth

they desperately want to call themselves the yids, so i got no problem with us singing 'yiddos fack off' and things like that.
and jewish people who don't support Sp**s should't make such a problem of it, geez.....

The Mini

Sonic Youth said:
and jewish people who don't support Sp**s should't make such a problem of it, geez.....

I only make a problem out of CEF and young1 because they're childish and basicly have no idea.

And Freddie is a winner, what you said before is that football is more important than religion, which is debatable but very stupid religions start world wars whereas football hasn't.

AdamT

well hell,i am part jewish and i'm not offended by the word yid. you are overreacting mini, the only thing that should be offending you is the gas chamber stuff.

Sp**s **** have always been called yids, its just a thing to piss them off. some of our directors are jewish and i dont think any gooner hates them, or that a large amount of arse fans are anti-semitic.

ariel sharon forever, long live greater israel !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom