• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Yohan Cabaye

• Thread starter KY
  • Start date
  • Replies 1,056
  • Views 151,720

bingobob

A-M’s Resident Hunskelper
Trusted ⭐

Anfield 1884 said:
You're rammed for midfielders. Linked before the signing of Flamini and Özil. Surely a non story.

Judging by City and Chelsea displays, a midfielder isn't what you need, but a Striker.
Spot on, we should be putting the finishing touches onto the team for this season which is a striker not a midfielder.

Also, Cabaye is not a long term replacement for Arteta given his age and price tag. For that money Wanyama is younger and better suited to Artetas position. Sits deep, powerful, defensively sound and he keeps the ball ticking over.
I have so much man love for Victor :eek:ops:

Impact

Established Member
Wanyama would be a worse fit than Cabaye. He would bring us back to the days of Alex Song, albeit with less talent.

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
Just posted in the 'wishlist' thread. I'd love us to grab Cabaye. He'd be very able cover for Ramsey--not sure if he could play a bit deeper, but then we don't use a designated DMF, do we?

We should think about letting Rozza go for this to happen. Huge upgrade.

E

Enoch

For the price they're asking for, is there a better player than Cabaye for the same price?

Johnny_Blaze

Established Member
Gundogan seems like a certainty to join Madrid, sadly. He would've been my dream midfield signing.

Thankfully Cabaye for £22m is non-starter. If we want to be genuine CL contenders, we need to be looking at someone like Pogba. Cabaye shouldn't be a regular starter at Arsenal if we've got big plans.

mo50

Established Member
We have more pressing issues than another CM like Cabaye. The only midfielder I'd go all out for is Pogba. Him, Ramsey and Wilshere would be a disgusting midfield in a year or two.

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
Pogba's not coming to Arsenal, and we're not about to part with £40m for a midfielder even if he fancied it. It's not even a dream at this point.

Johnny_Blaze

Established Member
Pogba's not signing a new contract at Juventus. Their cretinous fans have come to terms with that.

When he moves, it'll be for under £40m given the relatively short time left on his contract. We can afford him comfortably and Wenger is still a draw for French players.

Penn_

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
I think I'd cry if we spent that much on Cabaye. I like him but at that price we might as well go that bit further and get higher calibre and a lot younger players such as Pogba, Bender, Gundogan.

Impact

Established Member
Agree with the recent sentiments in this thread. Cabaye is good, but is not the quality we need to change from a good team to a great team. We should only be looking at top class midfielders i.e Paul Pogba.

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐
I think he is going to End up at PSG they really want him and he could be move in this transfer window if PSG offer what Newcastle wanted.

Mitch

Blonde Brigade Grand Wizard
Cabaybe has been excellent this season with Newcastle (as he was in his first season with the Geordies). Cabaye or Gundogan would be perfect a replacement for Arteta (who himself has been very good, but he can't go on forever) rather than players of less technical ability such as Falmini or Pogba.

SiMamu

Part time Leeds fan
Tbf, Cabaye combines Arteta's passing and Flamini's willingness to get stuck in. However, anything over £20m for him and we're getting ripped off, something closer to £15m would be more just.
However, when looking at players, I have to consider whether or not they'll be better in this role than a 10/11 Wilshere, who also had those qualities. I don't think Cabaye is, so I'd like to try and re-awaken the deep-lying playmaker in Wilshere.

Hunta

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

This would basically be the same as us signing Arteta a few years ago, albeit for probably more.

I'd rather we just get a Bender.

truth_hurts

but Holding’s hair transplant was painless
Hearts set on Pogba as I feel he is exactly what we need. Cabaye is very good though, wanted him in the summer and still want him now. Flamini has done well but Cabaye is better.

With Newcastle doing so well can imagine they will be reluctant to sell. Ramsey, Arteta, Cabaye, Flamini, Wilshere fighting for 2 positions would be healthy.

Jasard

Forum Issue Troubleshooter

What would Pogba cost? Can see him going to one of the oil teams.

truth_hurts

but Holding’s hair transplant was painless
Jasard said:
What would Pogba cost? Can see him going to one of the oil teams.

I think 30-35 million is realistic. He would be a quality signing for any team. Think City, Chelsea and PSG would all be in for him.

ModelGooner

Harambe Loyalist
Pogba would set us up in midfield for the next 5+ years. Cabaye is a good player but wouldn't take us up a level, besides we have players who offer what he does already.

If Wenger offered £30m for Pogba, then went up to £35m it would get the job done.

Top Bottom