• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Yohan Cabaye

• Thread starter KY
  • Start date
  • Replies 1,056
  • Views 151,627

GDeep™

League is very weak
Julien Laurens on BT Sport suggested something is going on between PSG and Pogba.

Are we going to call for Pogba everytime we get linked to a CM btw? As there is nothing to suggest we are interested.

Cabaye is worth 20M too, the guy is in his prime years, performing in the Premier League and is a French international.

CurryFlavoured

Established Member
With Cabaye I reckon Wenger would just try do what he did with Arteta, play him deeper than usual and get him to do most of the defensive work in midfield. We'd still have the same problems though, Cabaye isn't a very physical player and he isn't an actual defensive mid. It wouldn't make any sense to play him in Ramsey or Wilshere's position if we signed him, which seems to be his best position, we should be looking for a partner for them. One thing I will say is he's a quality set piece taker.

On Pogba, we shouldn't be so quick to assume he's come to us. He's playing for the best side in Italy and starting regularly. He might want to stay there a couple more years or take cray money and go play for PSG.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
CurryFlavoured said:
With Cabaye I reckon Wenger would just try do what he did with Arteta, play him deeper than usual and get him to do most of the defensive work in midfield. We'd still have the same problems though, Cabaye isn't a very physical player and he isn't an actual defensive mid. It wouldn't make any sense to play him in Ramsey or Wilshere's position if we signed him, which seems to be his best position, we should be looking for a partner for them. One thing I will say is he's a quality set piece taker.

This is my feeling aswell. I wouldn't bother with Cabaye in all honesty, I would prefer some more power as well as perhaps more tactically disciplined. Wenger still obviously hedging bets on Diaby (again).

On Pogba, we shouldn't be so quick to assume he's come to us. He's playing for the best side in Italy and starting regularly. He might want to stay there a couple more years or take cray money and go play for PSG.

Pogba is pure wishlist material. I think the boat sailed long ago, as much as I'd love to have him. Although I would have loved for us to sign Kondogbia aswell or Guilavogui. We missed out on all of them.

E

Enoch

We did bid £20 million for Pogba but it got rejected, so the interest is there. I don't think its wishlist material at all, we're willing to spend the money we have and if the player is worth it, Wenger will pounce. Pogba is the closest thing to Vieira and is better offensively than Vieira, Wenger knows his talents, and yes, Wenger being French does help our chances. Sure, all three parties have to agree on the transfer, but to say its wishlist material is far from the truth, we have a chance.

Impact

Established Member
There is much to be said about Pogba but this thread isn't the right place to discuss him in detail. But it is worth noting Mesut Özil was wishlist stuff just a few months ago.

Cabaye is good, I don't think anyone can deny that. He would do a good job if he came here. However, he is not the player to help change this team from good to great. As such, we should pass. We are not light in midfield. If we are to add, we should only add genuine top class talent.

GDeep™

League is very weak
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/arsenal-transfer-news-yohan-cabaye-2971483" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/ ... ye-2971483</a>

Not to Cabaye, and any other midfielder it seems.

truth_hurts

but Holding’s hair transplant was painless
GDeep said:
http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/arsenal-transfer-news-yohan-cabaye-2971483" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Not to Cabaye, and any other midfielder it seems.

Understandable to be honest and with Ox returning and being a central option and the enigma that is Diaby back in a couple of months it is logical to wait until the summer.

SiMamu

Part time Leeds fan
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2784759/Yohan-Cabaye-admits-frustrated-lack-playing-time-PSG-Premier-League-clubs-alert.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footba ... alert.html</a>

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
This ship sailed. He'd get just as much playing time here, I suspect. Ideally, we'd get shot of Rozza and have Cabaye fighting Jack and Ramsey. I rate him. I think he's an excellent player.

Vinci

The Sultan of Unai

Didn’t he play in a deeper role for France? We could have something similar here, with Ramsey and Wilshere in front of him.

Not the perfect solution, but if Wenger persists with this formation he is a significant upgrade on our current options in that deeper role.

ArsenesNO1Fan

Established Member
I doubt there's much truth in it but if he came here he'd be an Arteta replacement and not the physical midfielder we've been crying out for.

Penn_

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
I wouldn't be against he but we've dug ourself a hole with the contracts and possible extensions with given to Flamini and Arteta.

The only way I see Cabaye being a smart buy is if we see Chambers as our young DM, which is does have the talent/skills for.

Pies

Vinci said:
Didn’t he play in a deeper role for France? We could have something similar here, with Ramsey and Wilshere in front of him.

Not the perfect solution, but if Wenger persists with this formation he is a significant upgrade on our current options in that deeper role.

Yes, agreed.

Still prefer a Matic type who is robust enough for us to play a 4231 and offers a bit more strength. As you say though Cabaye has played deeper for PSG/France and would obviously be a massive upgrade on our options.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

Telegraph says we're looking to buy for around 10M. Thoughts?

Seems a replacement for Arteta but I'm not sure he has enough to start, seems pointless leaving one bench for another.

Dokaka

AM's resident Hammer
Would be a **** transfer. On PSG money, 29 and not exactly a massive upgrade on the current form Coquelin.

GDeep™

League is very weak
Here's the deal though, Wenger is unlikely to splash big on midfield. I think he's happy with his options, no 30M on Schneiderlin.

Cabaye, for a cheap fee, could cover a few midfield roles. So if you accept, we aren't spending big, as we have starting options, then a guy like Cabaye makes sense as a cover.

I want Schneiderlin though, despite the rise of the Coq

Taylor Gang Gunners

Say Yeh or You're Making The List
Trusted ⭐
Half agree with GDeep, I think if the right player comes along in central midfield we will spend big but Coquelin's form means Wenger is unlikely to prioritise CM/DM. As I mentioned at the top of this page (last year) I really rate Cabaye, he's an excellent technician, an 'Arsenal' midfielder if you will.

Only thing that makes this deal a bit wishy washy for me is his age. Then again in a deep lying role we might get a few more years out of him. For as cheap as £10M I'd take him, provided we fail to secure any bigger targets.

Furious

Emery Gone, Telly Back On
Would love Cabaye, he's super quality. He could play anywhere in midfield, Coq's, Ramsey's or Özil's role, he could in any of those roles and give you 7/10 performances every week. But, sadly he's getting old and injury prone otherwise he'd be the perfect midfielder for our needs.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom