• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

You get one do-over

Which one would you take back?

• Total voters

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

If you had one choice which of these three decisions would you change?

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
It's definitely not Özil imo...although both Mes and the club have come out of this very badly in the end, at the time it was very much needed really, plus Özil has put it some very fine performances even after the contract extension even if he isn't quite the player he once was.

It's Willian or Pepe, probably Nico unfortunately due to the fee, but don't let that distract you from how terrible Afroman has been, hopefully the ****ing end of signing Chelsea players!

Signing Zaha instead of Pepe could have been a gamechanger.

MikelHadADream

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Has got to be Pepe. 72million and 150k pw over 5 years? That's over 100m we've committed on the guy and he's given us very little. That type of money gets you Jack Grealish...

Blood on the Tracks

AG's best friend, role model and mentor.
Trusted ⭐

Player:Rice
If we have the benefit of hindsight it has to be Özil.

The other two aren't proven busts long term and even if they do turn out to be I doubt either will stick around long.
Kia will engineer a move for Willian.
Pepe will leave to rebuild his career.

Pepe gets crapped on but he produced the exact same numbers of assists and goals in his first season in the PL as Özil did in the whole duration of his contract.

We panicked giving Özil than contract because Sanchez had left. It's going to cost us around £70m in wages and bonuses when all is said and done.

It's undoubtedly the worst contract the club has ever handed out in terms of value for money.

Last edited:

squallman

Still Pining for Wenger
With Özil and Pepe, hindsight is 20/20 vision, but Ray Charles could have foreseen Willian flopping like he has.

Brazilian who plays in an attacking position?
Over 30?
Won everything there is to win?
Wanted to go to the MLS?

Which genius thought he was going to do a job for us? Signing players on their way down has never, ever worked out for us.

I can see the rationale behind renewing Özil and signing Pepe. Willian on the other hand was a colossal mistake.

Macho

In search of Pure Profit 💸
Dusted 🔻

The guy in your avi may have something to say about that, tbf :lol:
I think Auba not working makes your manager look worse rather than Auba himself if anything.

A_G

Rice Rice Baby 🎼🎵
A-M CL Draft Campeón 🏆
Sadly has to be Pepe, if only for the fact that neither of the permanent managers he's had at Arsenal seem to be fans of his. This shows the flaw of the DoF model where you sign players and then force the manager to work with them.

I can't say Özil because a) 95% of this place was ecstatic when he signed and b) I've seen rumours that his back injury is actually far worse than the club have revealed publicly, which hastened his decline.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
I think Auba not working makes your manager look worse rather than Auba himself tbh.

Auba v City in the cup final under Arsène, doesn't score and we lose.

Auba v Chelsea in the cup final under Emery, doesn't score and we lose.

Auba v City and Chelsea under Arteta in the cup, he scores in both games and we win the trophy...

Need I say more! ;)

squallman

Still Pining for Wenger
Sadly has to be Pepe, if only for the fact that neither of the permanent managers he's had at Arsenal seem to be fans of his. This shows the flaw of the DoF model where you sign players and then force the manager to work with them.

I can't say Özil because a) 95% of this place was ecstatic when he signed and b) I've seen rumours that his back injury is actually far worse than the club have revealed publicly, which hastened his decline.

We can probably sell Pepe on and Özil is leaving at the end of the season.

What are we going to do with Willian? Have him put out the cones at London Colney?

Oxeki

Match Day Thread Merchant
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
Willian signing doesn't harm us in the grand scheme of things. We didn't pay any fees for him. Hopefully kia Does us a solid and help us bin him in the summer.

It has to be Pepe though I'd you consider finances, but it has to be Özil when you consider the football aspects.
We were in a dark place and the club though giving Özil that contract was going to usher in a new era and send a message to the other clubs that we mean business but it has turned out to be a massive disaster.

I'm sure Pepe will be gone next summer and we would have forgotten about him by this time next year.

Red London

Anti-Simp Culture
Trusted ⭐
It depends what DOF you have. We had the power hungry cartel owner Raul as the man overseeing what we do. He isn’t a football man and blocked someone like Mislintat or Monchi from having a say at the club. He is also really fishy with agents and who knows the factors that caused him to sign Pepe.

I think a good boardroom have an idea of the kind of signings they need to make and do consult the manager and take feedback from him. Someone like Rangnick, Mislintat, Monchi, Campos etc are always gonna put the football first rather than paying off agents, and they are going to make signings based off the players profile or suitability to the side.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

Deliberately didn’t include Aubameyang because I’m praying to the Lord above he’s not finished. My heart can’t take pain like that anymore.

Also didn’t include Arteta because that’s been done to death.

For me unfortunately it’s Pepe which is a shame because I really wanted him to succeed. Seems a cruel joke that when we actually spend big it didn’t work.

Interestingly the Özil extension cost us 63.7M total.

Pepe will cost us 119M in total if he stays the five years.

Last edited:

Latest posts+

Top Bottom