• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

You guys are like yoyos...

pamilih

Jens goalkeeping style is different, but has been effective for Arsenal since our defenders go forward. He needs to sweep for crosses. As mentioned before, this style has its weakness, i.e., goalkeepers can be out of position but necessary when we have attacking defenders.

KoLo28

ive always backed up jens against guvnor/aussie etc all i've said that could be seen as yoyoing is the fact that IF we were to get someone i'd like someone with cl experience.

Aussie

Established Member
I have never changed my thoughts on Jens. I have always belived he wasnt up to the task.

KoLo28

When ever someone starts a thread that praises Jens all the bashes say that the only reason you started it is because usually he is ****, maybe the reason you start thread after thread about his mistake is because usually he is good.

Jkreffer

Established Member
Jens is a good keeper but admittedtly a little error prone. But HONESTLY whoc could we sign whos better than him!?
Green,Robinson,Kirkland- all great prospects, but as it stands nowhere near as good yet.
Toldo, Canizares- aging keepers, yes very good but stupidly priced- unlikely to pay ridculous money for them.
Dida, Casillas- very good keepers, but both are error prone also- once they make a mistake will we slate them the same way!?
Buffon-don't make me laugh- not in a million years-well not for time being anyway.
Niemi, Cudicini- Yes are good and reliable usually, but would they really be doing a better job than jens? His record speaks for itself domestcially.

Im not saying we have the best keeper around, but what im saying is we are lucky to have a no nonsense, non injury prone keeper(kirkland) who has the experience and professionalism that jens has. Yes he has made mistakes, but this doesn't mean we should all be getting on his back.
We should be supporting Jens as i believe we are lucky to have him.

A

Anonymous

well i'm one who never think he's good be it a great keeper. i never think he's good from the first time i saw him played for arsenal.

AFCG7

Established Member
No one is disputing whether or not he is a good keeper.. but i cant accept the mistakes he has made.. again i say the very same mistake 3 times, all in the CL and all punished.One other note..they were all away from home too.

Biggus

Established Member
AFCG7 -Every player makes mistakes Its just that when you're a keeper they are more high-profile and memorable - take Spunky, everyone will have seen the Ronaldinho and Nayeem flaps hundreds of times so they stick in the memory, only us Goons remember his hundreds of brilliant saves or more importantly good positioning so a flashy save was unnessasary. A striker can miss five sitters but people only remember the one that he put away, You may have gathered by now that I'm an ex-keeper (even got the facial scars and busted fingers to prove it)
Remember...We win and lose together as a team.

namliam

With Jens in goal we will never win CL. In the CL we are never quite the same dominant attacking force as in the PL and thus the defense are really tested for long streches of the game...and Jens is always prone to errors..even in the PL where the attack keeps the other team occupied most of the game..the occasioanl corner or free kick can cause so much panic because Jens is atrocious when dealing with corners and crosses....in the CL where we may have to weather serious periods of pressure its almost a mathematical ceratinty Jens will mess up...the CL particuarly in the latter stages in such a tight tactical battle that games will be won and lost perhaps by one error...its not the PL where Arsenal can just 'recover' and score 5 like say against Middlesboro...

essentially last year against Chelsea we played better but lost due to 3 goals...2 of which were really stupid goals to concede..I'll accept that the first was due to LEhmann and the defense but the Lampard goal still sticks with me as it was one of the worst spills I have ever seen from a GK i mean Makelele's central shot bounched off him fully 2 -3 meters....
now of course its silly to say we lost solely because of jens but he was a big reason we were knocked out..and i dun think anyone can say with real confidence that we can trust him not to make stupid mistakes when the defense and GK is really tested...hence..it makes it virtually imposible to win the CL...
Within several months the truth will be revealed when yet again Jens wil make some horrendous error and we get knocekd out of the CL..I really hope im wrong but at least then some ppl will realize that Jens is no better than an average keeper with a terrible knack of committing errors at the worst times.

AFCG7

Established Member
Biggus... i thought as much .. but i guess then you can understand the frustration with Jens. Most people accept that he is a good keeper including me, but we are forever paranoid about him coming out his area because of repeated mistakes.

Biggus

Established Member
I know AFC .....The one thing you want as a defender from a goalkeeper is solidity and just ol boring consistancy, ie Shilton, not so much flashy saves which are a bonus and I do admit Jens is more like Grobbolaar, But when building a team you have to give them a long run together, A goalie is not like any outfield player..If he's a bit off form you can't just drop him for a few games, the defence need a rapport with him that is lost when a new keeper comes in, thats why the Seaman+Legendary back four/five combo was so hard to replace, In fact they were such a unit that I fear they never will be replaced. Arsène kept them together as long as he could and as seen by the number of keepers he has tried to sign sees Jens as a short/medium term solution because of the money situation. In the meantime lets just get behind Jens. :wink:

Latest posts

Top Bottom